Search Unity

2d day and night cycle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vertigostudios, Dec 11, 2019.

1. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi Guys, I'm looking to hire a programmer to work on a 2d day and night cycle. However - I'm not entirely sure which is better suited and what kind of questions to ask.

Would a total image replacement work better which is run by code or some kind of shader for the effect instead.

The intended prototype would be from a top down perspective. Lastly, I would prefer to the day and night cycle to blend from one to the other over time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. iamthwee

iamthwee

This sounds like some shader magic @Murgilod can work her magic on perhaps. IIRC @angrypenguin was doing something with a day night cycle as well, though not sure if it is applicable to your example.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  3. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Thanks!

iamthwee likes this.
  4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Probably post processing could help achieve desired effect.

5. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Ahh ok, so I assume that post processing can be controlled by script ?

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

ADNCG likes this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm currently elbow deep in a big project so I can't help a super huge amount, but what I'd do is set up a LUT for dawn, afternoon, sunset, and night; set up a shader to lerp between these at the appropriate time; then apply the lerp'd value to an image effect. It's not a terribly elegant solution, but it's a rough approximation of what I'm doing right now since LUTs aren't terribly computationally expensive.

iamthwee likes this.