Search Unity

2d cutscenes?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Green11001, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Green11001

Green11001

What is the best way to make 2d cutscenes? Would it be best to animate the entire cutscene outside of unity and import it in, or should i make an animator that controls the entire scene and plays different animations when they are needed?

2. Cinemachine, Timeline, go nuts.

3. aer0ace

aer0ace

I have to thank you for this. I'm working on a 3D game, and I need procedural cutscenes, and I hadn't heard of Cinemachine or Timeline until this post. I've been living in a 5.6.3 life for quite some time, and wasn't really looking for a reason to upgrade to 2017.x and beyond. If Cinemachine was what I needed, it would save me hours, if not days, of developer effort for the next 6-12 months. I read that Cinemachine's most current updates are in 2018.2+.

I took the plunge over the weekend, and tried out 2018.2.21f1 and VS2017. I ended up not having to update any of my project or any of its assets, other than AssetBundleManager, which had some webplayer code in there, which has since been removed from Unity. And now, I can play with Cinemachine, something that I was going to custom code myself. Not only that, I get a few other benefits of 2018.2, namely 64-bit Android support, to upgrade my existing games.

So, thanks. It's been a fruitful and painless upgrade.

Joe-Censored and Lurking-Ninja like this.