Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Brawler Perspective Tips

Discussion in '2D' started by DerekCresswell, Jan 26, 2020.

1. DerekCresswell

DerekCresswell

Hello all!
    I'm beginning to work on a project that is going to have a perspective very similar to Castle Crashers.
    I'm thinking about how to go about this and want some tips / ideas to get started.

Currently I have a 2D project started. Is it better to do this as a 3D project? Will I need to use 3D colliders?
    All I've thought of so far was to have my Y speed slower than the x so I can keep it all 2D.

What changes if I say I want a snap to grid building system?

I'm only looking for tips, links, or snippets. I'd like to figure out as much as possible on my own. :)

2. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

There are all kinds of tricks to making a game like Castle Crashers in 2D.

Change transparency sort mode to be on the y axis.
    Use SortingGroups and make sure it sorts on the pivot and its at the bottom.
    Scale objects based on y position, smaller as it increases, bigger as it decreases.

For the grid building system, it would be more of an oblong grid, depending on perspective.
    Its pretty much the same as any other grid building system, only the shape of the grids is rectangular instead of squares.

3D makes it easier, those "tricks" are no longer needed. Grid would be square, no need to scale or change sorting.