Search Unity

Resolved 2D animations, sprite sheets and Shadergraph workflow

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by -Shimrod-, Sep 5, 2020.

1. -Shimrod-

-Shimrod-

Hi,

I'm requesting here mostly guidelines than specific answers. :)

In a personal self-teaching (and challenging !) approach, I'm trying to create a kind of 2D experience (a platformer, for instance) and I really am a newcomer in this field. So far, I have my controller and animator for a player character, I already created a few sprites sheets (from 3D renderings) and they work great, but I'd like to enhance these with additional passes, like normals to take profit of 2D lights, and probably more.

Most of the examples I found about the Sprite Lit Graph are using the same pipeline :
    1 set of sprites sheets -> 1 shader -> 1 material
    These examples are 2D rigs or pixel art animation, where one character has its moveset in one sprite sheet.

In my case, I use 1 spritesheet for 1 animation, all linked in my animator, which I think is a traditionnal approach.

How should I create a set of animations, each using through SG a comp of beauty renders + normal + ... + etc. ?
    I don't really get how to input a specific set of frames (ie: walking_beauty_xxx + walking_normal_xxx or jump_beauty_xxx + jump_normal_xxx) depending of the animation running at a time.

I already read that there are issues with atlases (2019 LTS), but I'm not yet at this point.

Thanks for reading and for your clues. ;)

For the background :
    I'm a 3D artist and not a developer/technical artist/etc., so I'm mostly skilled in modeling, texturing, and rendering pictures and short movies. In the past few years, I've used Unity for a few projects, mostly VR experiences with animated assets and characters and I really enjoy what the engine offers. But my main skills here are more in creating content and delivering a working product than coding from scratch, although I can now read and write some at a basic level. ;)

2. -Shimrod-

-Shimrod-