Search Unity

2D Animation v2 - Preview Packages

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by rustum, Dec 17, 2018.

1. tweedie

tweedie

You need to use PSB, the character rigging is a part of the PSD Importer package, separate from the 2D Animation package. If you can generate .psd's and not .psb's, it will accept a psd you have renamed to psb, as the decision to target psb's is simply to avoid conflicts with the standard psd importer.

2. Pudgy138

Pudgy138

I had so much trouble finding this information, thank you. I exported my .ai to PS as a .psd, then saved as a .psb.

My image was scattered everywhere! Lol. IS there a workflow or proper technique for layering/labeling when importing to Unity? Also, my Screens and Multiplies do not show up on the imported .psb file inside of Unity, but they show up when you calculate geometry. You can see where they should be, they have geometric outlines but are not visible otherwise.

GameDevCouple_I and EvOne like this.
  3. Sam_Ooi

Sam_Ooi

Unity Technologies

Hello, the requirement of the PSD Importer and workflow with its use is documented in the View Documentation link of the 2D Animation Package from the Package Manager. The to the documentation and samples is also available in the first post of this thread. Documentation for the PSD Importer is available from the Packman Manager as well. Do let me know if there are any issues importing your .psb file into Unity with the PSD Importer package that the documentation does not cover.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    EvOne likes this.
  4. tweedie

tweedie

Once you switch the Sprite Editor into Character Rigging mode (top left), it should look identical to how it does in Photoshop. Sprites inherit their names from the layer names in PS. I imagine blending modes aren't supported, but those would probably want to be flattened down anyway as it'd take a fancy shader to apply different blending modes selectively. They'll still generate meshes though as there's information for geometry to process.

5. tweedie

tweedie

I don't want to be annoying but may we please have some info about this? I made a similar post in the 2D Package v1:

Even if all you can say is "sorry but we can't share anything at the moment", it would be great to know my feedback has been acknowledged; I've been posting about this since March and am beginning to feel posts surrounding sprite swapping are being selectively ignored. I appreciate you might be focusing your replies on bugs, but this is a really crucial part of the workflow and any indication of the direction you're taking would be terrific.

Apologies if this comes off as confrontational, I'm just really surprised, given this discussion would provide the community with an opportunity to point out areas where your direction wouldn't make a great fit for their projects. It's easier to provide quality information if we know roughly where you're heading. Thanks for your time :)

GameDevCouple_I and EvOne like this.
  6. nunomcards

nunomcards

I have been have this glitch for quite some time, and all the research I made lead me here.
    How can I fix this problem? I heard people saying the removing "2D Animation" Solved the problem and all that, but I need it for my character animations.
    I even updated my game unity version from 2018 to 2019.1.2f1. When I had the 2018 version the glitching was for everything (even the colored squares). Then I updated the squared looked good. When I placed another tile this happen.

How can I fix this? I been with this bug for ages now.. Please help me solve this, thanks.

upload_2019-5-14_17-9-10.png

EDIT:
    Found another problem, all the sprites that were from the previous version work fine in the Tile Palette, if I duplicate one sprite and place it in the Palette that on the image above happens. I don't know what is happening....

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. EvOne

EvOne

Packman! Yeeeeeee :)))))
    Sorry... :)

8. Pudgy138

Pudgy138

I see, thank you for your response. So, here in this documentation it says exactly what you're saying that these blend modes are not supported. However, let's look at this example:
    Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.55.03 AM.png

This character has blend modes and is accepted by the importer. Why?

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.57.14 AM.png

Look at the police officer in this pic, he also has multiplies to darken portions of the legs. I'm not an artist, my partner on our project is but she's new. What's the workaround here? I feel like there's a lot of focus on technical application but not much on AI to PS to Unity workflow. How do we design from AI to PS with the intention of using the 2D Animation V2 / PSD Importer?

--

Update: You said to "flatten" the blend modes, my partner went and did that -- absolutely amazing. We're stoked! Thank you for mentioning that!!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    GameDevCouple_I and tweedie like this.
  9. tweedie

tweedie

Glad you got it working :)

10. Rijicho_nl

Rijicho_nl

Hi,
    Are there any new information about this?

11. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Has to be a PSB as far as I am aware

12. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Any more info on sprite swapping? Its a majorly crucial feature and the main thing holding us back from moving from spine to this right now

13. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I use 2019.1.2f1 Windows. When I try to update this package I get this error:

Cannot perform upm operation: Unable to add package [com.unity.2d.psdimporter@1.1.0-preview.3]:
    One or more dependencies could not be added to the local file system:
    com.unity.burst: EPERM: operation not permitted, unlink 'F:\TarotReadings_test\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.burst@1.0.0-preview.6\.Runtime\Burst.Backend.dll' [NotFound]
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

14. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

This issue still happens in 2019.1.2f1 windows.
    I will upload a test scene bug for you to see it soon.

15. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

(Case 1154928) issue with 2d animation

16. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

installing Burst fixed this.

17. tweedie

tweedie

Would you mind editing your posts in future to address small updates like that? Just stops the rest of us from being pinged a lot of notifications :)

18. Sunny_Apples

Sunny_Apples

Me too. It just doesn't let me create bones at all. I am using PSD, single part sprite.
    https://i.gyazo.com/9d95c772e510f35414a0ba6d2ba242a7.mp4

EvOne likes this.
  19. tweedie

tweedie

Literally the next post:
    1. Edit the filename from .psd to .psb
    2. Tick "Characer Rig"

20. EvOne

EvOne

Will future versions require the use of Photoshop?
    -I use separate PNG-files exported from Adobe Illustrator by script, and even simple processing of a large number of them by importing into photoshop and saving to PSD (or just saving as PSD from AI separately) - is a big problem.
    But this will not work at all - according to the technical process shown in the presentations, it is necessary to use all parts of the character components assembled into one multi-layered PSD.
    -But not everyone works that way.
    Anyone who does not use the characters collected in Photoshop - will not be able to use the animation package?

Sorry if I misunderstood something - for a long time there is no technical information about the development of the package. And in the available preview version of the package there are no significant changes. We can only guess in which direction the development is going.

21. bigbadzone

bigbadzone

Hey I do the same thing! You can use Affinity Designer and export to PSD, it's a $50 one time purchase. Either way you still need to flatten your vector layers for best results. If you import your work from Illustrator you just need to make sure your AI file is saved as Illustrator CS2 to maintain your layer structure. You'll also have to reposition some gradients if your transforms aren't at 50%.

I still use Photoshop, because it's easier to drag and drop, but I don't use the PSD importer provided by Unity.

Here's my alternative to using the PSD importer method:
    I skip the PSD importer altogether and just use the Sprite Skin script on individual sprites since it tends to be more performant with higher res sprites. That and, when I'm doing sprite swap and want to maintain Sprite Editor .meta, it's easier to copy and paste a folder of your already rigged PNGs and replace them with new PNGs, then point a script to swap sprites to that folder, then to do the same with a PSD. Replacement PSDs overwrite the meta every time they are read, replacement PNGs do not. This lets you sprite swap the old fashioned way, literally just point the sprite renderer to the new folder in script. I import with https://github.com/SubjectNerd-Unity/Psd2UnityImporter on 2018.2, export a prefab and do my work in the latest version of Unity.

The downside to this method is that you do not get to edit all your sprites in one single sprite editor, so you'll be doing arms, torso and legs individually, but the sprites will be placed in the scene for you so it's not a big deal. To me this makes it easier to maintain a layer structure this way, since the hand sprite goes inside the arm sprite game object, the arm game object goes inside the torso, etc. You still get IK support. This makes it easier for me to easily place outfits for characters directly on bones or swap out body parts.

Hope this was a helpful perspective in some way!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    EvOne likes this.
  22. bigbadzone

bigbadzone

Also to the wonderful people working on Unity Animation preview, just want to throw this out there: as much as everyone would love easy sprite swapping, you know what would be really cool? Bone controlled sprite masks. Just a thought.

23. EvOne

EvOne

From the changelog for 2DAnimation package in the Unity 2019.2 beta PackageManager - the version is already available:

[2.2.0-preview.1] - 2019-05-09
    Added
    Upgrade for 2019.2
    Copy and Paste rework
    Visibility Window
    Reparent Bone tool removed
    Added Sprite Library feature
    Add Layer Grouping Support in Sprite Visibility Panel

-Will these functions be available in Unity 2019.1?

rushk1 likes this.
  24. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Any news on this issue?

25. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Also Free Form Deformation. FFD.

Tri-1492 and bigbadzone like this.
  26. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Yes, we are looking into it at the moment.

bigbadzone likes this.
  27. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Hi @giorgos_gs for temporary work around, can you try increasing the Sprite Skin's bound for those object that are missing?

28. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

How can I do that?

29. WonJuneChang

WonJuneChang

after installing the 2d animation package,
    Not visible in prefab stage after the editor play, but before the play
    I thought my project was a problem, so I tried it on a new empty project, but it was the same.
    What do you think I should try?
    i want to use this tool. plz :(
    Unity version tested is 2019.2.0a13 and 2019.1.3f1.
    The 2D animation version used is preview.4 - 2.1.0.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  30. MarcusTheMainMan

MarcusTheMainMan

SO where did this go?????? The 2d animation and 2d IK are not there. I can not seem to find them. it's like unity 2019 just erased them. Sucks cause I have baddies that uses those scripts and now do not work at all. I do have show preview packages checked.

Attached Files:

31. EvOne

EvOne

You are viewing only the packages included in the build, -select the desired option "All packages" in the combo box above, instead of "build-in packages"
    And as you have already written - also need to enable "Show preview packages" in the combo box "Advanced" on the right.
    2019-05-24_10-10-32.png

32. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

So did you find the issue and will be addressed soon?

33. MarcusTheMainMan

MarcusTheMainMan

Yeah, I had all packages and no previews.....then had installed packages and previews....Eventually found it.

1) So does this work with unity 2019.1.3 (Latest?)
    2) Now that I have reinstalled it, none of the snakes that I set up before work. So I went to create the bones. The 'create bones' doesn't seem to work. It will not draw out the bones. However if I control-double left mouse click, then the old bones structure pops up. Then If I 'apply' it, nothing gets saved. So is it me or am I missing something?

Attached Files:

• 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      197.8 KB
      Views:
  34. Robiwan

Robiwan

Looks like 2d animation package is not working with Unity 2019.1.4f1, at least not on my end. I start a clean project and add the 2d animation package gives a bunch of errors. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

upload_2019-5-29_13-15-15.png

35. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Yes, we found the issue and thanks for reporting. You can temporary try to increate the culling bounds in the SpriteSkin component

36. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

I just tried the same setup and I didn't manage to reproduce. Could you try deleting the Library folder? Otherwise please report a bug. Thanks

37. MarcusTheMainMan

MarcusTheMainMan

I have unity 1.4 and no errors like that.

38. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

How do I do this? I attach the Sprite Skin component? Do you mean the center or extend bounds?

When should I expect an update to fix this important bug?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  39. rafaelferrari1

rafaelferrari1

Hey guys, I have a question you might be able to help me.

How are you doing to change skins/cloths/itens?
    We are trying to use Unity solution, but we are having some problems to understand what is the best approach on that. Do you guys have some suggestion?
    Thanks!

Th0re and SmartPo like this.
  40. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I am still waiting for your reply.

41. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Yes, this is where you will extend the bound.

The packages are currently in QA test.

EvOne likes this.
  42. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Can you estimate how long it will take for the fix? Extending this will be a pain..

43. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Any updates? This is important for me and doesn't let me update to 2019 Unity in any platform.

EvOne likes this.
  44. nntgam

nntgam

Hello, how can i change sprite at runtime?? like anima2d it can. But i can't find solution here.

EvOne likes this.
  45. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I am sorry for keep asking for the fix but I need it so I can update to 2019 to get some new features before I release my new game.

EvOne likes this.
  46. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Would you consider upgrading the dependency of the 2D Animation package on the Unity Entities package?

2D Animation 2.1.0 depends on Entities 0.0.12-preview.29, which has a quite an annoying bug, which is fixed in a later version. Whenever any script in the project goes missing or when adding a new script component, the inspector breaks and doesn't show anything, which means I need to overwrite some internal files from the Entities package to work around the issue.

EvOne likes this.
  47. AllanSmithZ3

AllanSmithZ3

Hey, so its my understanding that, at the moment, sprite switching is not supported? It almost seems like the whole skinning information is bound to the sprite asset, and therefore not allowing us to change the texture? I actually copy pasted the basic unlit shader and changed the texture property name from _MainTex to whatever just so Unity wont know how to set the texture forcefully back lol and am using this material in the sprite renderer with the texture I want to switch for, but this is... well, funny that I had to do it lol, very hacky (even though it does work and the pipeline is actually good to work with).

Anyway, be interested in news about this!

jirmru and angusmf like this.
  48. angusmf

angusmf

That's what old timers would call a "nice hack"

49. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have installed 2.19.1.8f1 and I still have the (Case 1154928) bug.
    When are you going to fix this?
    I have to use 2018.3.14 because of this.
    thanks

50. mountblanc

mountblanc

I wonder if sprite switching will be supported or not. I just took a 2d survey https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-product-survey.701012/
    And one of the topics was how important is sprite swapping?

Well for my point of view its a game changing feature. Or better yet the reason to use 2D Animation package or not.
    Aldo the workflow seems to be simpler then Anima2d. The end result is a lot less impressing if we cant swap out sprites.

I use sprite swapping in Anima2D for changing hand images, facial expressions, adding and removing tools (sword, shovel etc.) Anima2D can be a pain at times but compared (so far) with 2D Animation it feels much more useful. I hope (but doubt) this will change in the near future. (it perhaps depends on the survey results ?)

Th0re and EvOne like this.