Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Animation, Skinning Editor Not Working?

Discussion in '2D' started by kodagames, Feb 23, 2020.

1. kodagames

kodagames

Hello,

Im having issues with the 2D animation and Skinning editor not working? Anyone having these issues, Im hoping for a solution?

Having a bunch of problems:
    - 98% of the time after opening up the sprite editor I can't create any bones?
    - after generating geometry only one part of the model is generated for the mesh and can't add more (the sprite was brought in as a single image with the head not touching the body, the arms / legs not touching the torso etc..)
    - auto weights: colors the mesh a different color than the bone and - only the one piece that has geometry can be painted the others are stuck being the wrong color

The image is sliced with the Texture Type set to: Sprite (2D and UI), Sprite Mode set to: Multiple.
    I'm using the latest version of Unity 2019.3.2f1, Computer is macOS Mojave version 10.14.6

I really don't know what to do to get this working in order to create bones and animate the character any help would be seriously appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike!

2. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Do you have all of the packages imported into your project for 2D animation? You could try to reimport the package just in case something failed to properly import.

3. dquek

dquek

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Are you using a PSB file with 2D PSD Importer Package?
    If you're not, perhaps you need to double click on the sprite in sprite editor window first before you create the bones?

Let us know if that helps.

========================
    Note that:
    You can file a bug report with a small repro project through = Unity > Help > Report a Bug...
    or
    Let me know any more info you can provide in the Forums and I'll investigate it.

Cheers,
    Darren

DeathApocalypse and rlonlinework like this.
  4. SAM_251

SAM_251

Tengo un problema en el que al aplicar aplicar todos los sprites se mueven a la esquina y no se ve el personaje

5. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

6. Sarashinai

Sarashinai

Same here. I just started working through the 2D animation and IK tutorials using the Rikr sample sprite and I can't create a bone. It feels like the buttons in the Skinning Editor work but it doesn't acknowledge when you click on the actual sprite.

EDIT: It seems that you have to double-click on one of the sprite boxes (e.g. one of the character's body parts or the entire image if your sprite is in Single mode) before you get the bone creation interface (bones showing up, bone creation possible).

Is this as intended?

EDIT 2: This does allow the creation of bones, BUT, it seems that the bones are only considered to be attached to the item you originally double-clicked on and selected. Even if you place bones on other sprite slices, they are all tied to that first selected slice.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    adamlamotte and VaporAnomaly like this.
  7. unity_vv4SC94svi1ktw

unity_vv4SC94svi1ktw

Any solution to this? I cannot animate anything

RekDS and adamlamotte like this.
  8. VaporAnomaly

VaporAnomaly

I am facing the issue described in EDIT2 :(
    Please help someone.

adamlamotte likes this.
  9. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

Yes, if you are not using a PSD file, you will need to double-click on the sprite that you want the bone to be associated with. So if you have a spritesheet with multiple sprites (e.g. different character parts), you will need to double-click onto each sprite (character part) and create the bones needed for that sprite.

VaporAnomaly likes this.
  10. VRKid

VRKid

I'm having a similar problem, followed every tutorial, concluded its a bug with unity... can you guys release a video on a work around or something, I have 3 assignments due by October and this is a pretty important part. When I create the bone structure and hit auto geometry only 1 of the body parts of my character gets 'geometrized'. Watching brackeys and other tutorials they do the exact same thing and all of the body pieces get geometrized, so what am I doing wrong?'

Is there no way to connect the bones together anymore? I have tried BOTH PSD and PNG neither work. Followed your advice... what is the sense of having bones if only one works?!? Am I misunderstanding something? Again a quick tutorial video on youtube would clear this up.

dwarrick_ and adamlamotte like this.
  11. VRKid

VRKid

Edit 2 issue here for me aswell, everything installed correctly!

adamlamotte likes this.
  12. adamlamotte

adamlamotte

I am having the same issue, only allowing separate bone parenting for separate slices.

13. adamlamotte

adamlamotte

UPDATE: I was having the same problem as Edit 2 above, but then I realized that I had been using PSD files from photoshop, instead of PSB. Once I tried PSB, this particular problem didn't happen for me anymore. Hope that helps!

14. VRKid

VRKid

what is a PSB file?

15. LandSlide183

LandSlide183

I am facing the issue in edit 2. I am using a png file with sprite mode as multiple. I can double click on one of my slices to place bones on it. However, these bones only relate to the slice I double clicked on. I cannot have a bone that affects one of the other slices but is a child of the bone on the original slice.

Edit: I rewrote for clarity

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    khattabmohamed174 likes this.
  16. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

Large Document Format (PSB)
    The Large Document Format (PSB) supports documents up to 300,000 pixels in any dimension. All Photoshop features, such as layers, effects, and filters, are supported. (With documents larger than 30,000 pixels in width or height, some plug-in filters are unavailable.)

You can save HDR, 32-bits-per-channel images as PSB files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html

If you're using Photoshop, you can save your PSD file as a PSB and use it for animating.

17. VRKid

VRKid

I'm using PS7. I don't know if that format exists.

18. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, I think you might need to use a more recent version of PS to use the PSB format (but I'm not sure to which one).

19. Avatar-Vick

After doing this, however, I can't connect the bones to the main body. After double-clicking the arm, the bones in the main body disappear. The mesh genea I'm using a PNG image, by the way.

I've had lots of trouble so far, and now I"m wondering if, at all, skeleton animation is possible with this file format. I've tried exporting the image with separate layers for each limb as well as a single layer with the limbs separated, but Unity doesn't seem to want to cooperate. If there is a tutorial or doc you can point me to explaining how to use a PNG for skeleton animation (or explain here) that would be really helpful.

khattabmohamed174 and EvOne like this.
  20. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

21. gregorykarianakis

gregorykarianakis

i was using png format and had all these problems i changed the sprite to single while i had it to multiple before cause thats what i saw in tutorials and that fixed the main problem of cannot connect bones of different pieces

22. grigorimagid_unity

grigorimagid_unity

Unity Hi, Please Assist.

my sprite editore weight slider doesn't work as shown in the video it is off. I'm using unity 2019.4 upload_2020-12-25_20-58-54.png

23. RekDS

RekDS

I m able to create bone when a sprite part is selected but if i choose the full player and then go to skinning editor then i m UNABLE to create bone . I m using unity 2018 , Png files and ,my BIG BRAIN !!

24. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

@grigorimagid_unity the Weight Slider tool adjusts the bone weights for a selected Sprite. To use it, you first have to select the Sprite you would like to work with. You can do this by double clicking on one of the Sprites. Once a Sprite is selected, the weight slider will not be greyed out anymore.

@Satanshu could you share a screenshot of how far you got and where you get stuck? That will help us to assist you with your issue. Thanks.

25. grigorimagid_unity

grigorimagid_unity

thank you, problem solved P.s is there a way to manipulate between too constrained For example pines this option that one constrain sets itself to -100 and the other constrains too +100, and this way creates a 3d effect One goes left and up the other goes right and down.

26. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

There is the "Normalize" checkbox located just above the slider which makes sure the total value of all the bone weights equals 1.0.

27. Rohach

Rohach

Suddenly there were problems with saving 2D Skin. They were not there before.
    PSB files. Problems on different PSB files. Each PSB stores parts of the character in different layers.
    Unity 2020.2.0. Packages: 2D Animation v. 5.0.4, 2D PSD Importer 4.0.2.
    These versions of Unity and Packages were installed at a time when there were no problems.
    Several 2D characters were successfully made last time.
    Description of the problem:
    After a different period of work with the Weight Slider tool, the result of the work is not saved. The Apply button after clicking becomes passive. As if the changes were accepted. But the Meta file associated with the working PSB is not saved.
    To resume saving, it is enough to make any changes to the mesh using Edit Geometry. But at this moment, the settings from the last successful save are returned to the character. All work after it, disappears from the Sprite Editor. Then for a period of time everything works. You can even save everything. But suddenly everything repeats itself. And so all day.
    Also, if you turn on Unity in the morning - for the first time, you can work normally for the longest period.
    The problems were repeated on a clean project with the same PSB files:
    Unity 2021.1.0b. Packages: 2D Animation v. 6.0.0-pre.2, 2D PSD Importer 5.0.0-pre.2.

28. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

29. Rohach

Rohach

@Ted_Wikman
    Thank. I understand that I need to make a bug report.
    But before, everything worked. Nothing changed. Is it possible that sometimes SkinningModule / SkinningCache / MeshCache does not work due to new hidden video card issues? Is this even related to the Video Card?

30. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

This issue does not seem to be related to your video card. It seems that the Skinning Editor Window fails to update the meta files and later fails to update the work cache. Do you see any logs in the console when this happens?

31. Rohach

Rohach

32. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the bug report, we will take a look

33. Ruliw

Ruliw

i'm also having problems with the skinning editor, when i use "multiple" on the sprite editor i can't connect body parts together(other than that there are no problems while using "multiple"), but when i use "single" i can connect parts, but the entire geometry only follows the bone_1, even when i try to manually change the influence, anyone has solution for this?(first time trying skinning editor and i'm using PNG file) Skinning not working.jpg

34. Ruliw

Ruliw

nevermind, i just used a PSB file instead and it worked perfectly

MarekUnity likes this.
  35. Hundred

Hundred

Any news on weights not saved in 2D sprite editor? I'm having the same problem. Sometimes weights are saved, but most of the time not... I'm using psb file with multiple bodyparts on different layers. All psb layers and 2D bones have unique names. It worked fine for first few models.
    In the console I'm getting this warning
    Layer R80_Leg_B: LayerId is not unique. Mapping will be done by Layer's name.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

36. Hundred

Hundred

I got that smiley in pasted warning text... it is ": ProcessEvent" in console...

37. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

@Hundred, a fix for the issue @Rohach reported has landed in
    - Unity 2021.2.0a17
    - Unity 2021.1.9f1
    - Unity 2020.3.12f1
    If you use any of these versions or later, you should not see the issue anymore.
    Could you let us know which Unity version you are seeing the issue in?

38. Hundred

Hundred

I'm using Unity 2020.2.6f1, so will update now.
    Thanks a lot :)

Ted_Wikman likes this.
  39. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Great, let us know if it still fails!

40. dannyCookie

dannyCookie

When I do the autoGeometry, everything stays in a gray color instead of fitting the bones, I can only move the parent(torso) of my sprite, I am using PNG. Everything is installed correctly

41. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

42. dannyCookie

dannyCookie

Oh, I understand part of the problem, there is no bone influence for the sprites, but i can't add one, just read see them, the torso has bone influence of every bone, it has a color it just that i couldnt see it because it was red on red. By 2d animaion are you talking about the plugin? if yes it's 5.0.9 also the 2d IK is a preview it may be a bug but really it maybe me. Also I tried to do play with bone influence my unity crashed

43. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

If you are using 2D Animation 5.x (Unity 2020.3), you should not have the 2D IK package in your project. This should cause compile errors. The 2D IK package was moved into the 2D Animation package in the 5.x release. Do remove the IK package in your project if it is still there.

Regarding the crash, if you can reproduce it, we would love a bug report so that we can take a closer look at it.

So is your original issue resolved?

44. dannyCookie

dannyCookie

Oh I could I forget to tell that I errors with 2d IK conflicts, \I deleted 2d Ik
    no errors,but i still have a warning:
    Unexpected call to EndFadeGroup! Make sure to call EndFadeGroup the same number of times as BeginFadeGroup.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: (this made an emoji so separating it)ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:189)

I can't reproduce the crash and I have the same issue, no bone influence and I can't modify it.

45. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Could you share a screenshot of the issue?

46. dannyCookie

dannyCookie

Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-37.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-35.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-37.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-35.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-37.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-35.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-37.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-35.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-35.png Screenshot from 2021-10-29 08-27-37.png

On the first image nothing is selected, you can see the autoGeometry but without bone influence,

on the second, the torso is selected u see the bones and that I have a working bone inflence on the torso, if anything else is selected, we cannot see bones.

on the third, if you look closely, you can see that I can't add bone influence

Attached Files:

47. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Could you share your project in a private message? Then I can take a closer look to see whats going on.
    Thanks!

48. shieldgenerator7

shieldgenerator7

I have a new problem. I was able to rig my character just fine using a PNG and not splitting it. However, I cant figure out how to copy and paste the rig. It gives me no indication whatsoever as to whether or not it's working, and when I click "Paste Rig" nothing happens. This problem persists even when i copy the original sprite and try to paste it into it.

49. shieldgenerator7

shieldgenerator7

Nvm i found it, didnt realize that the "Paste Rig" button opened up a menu instead of just pasting. I found the menu now and it works

Ted_Wikman likes this.
  50. mazen1243

mazen1243

I THINK Bebuse you must export as PSB from PHOTOSHOP