Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. On February 28th the Feedback website will shut down and be redirected to the Unity forums. See the full post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Animation Preview Packages

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by rustum, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Multifred

Multifred

Hi,

I recently try the package with animation artists I'm working with (I'm a dev) and we are considering using the Animation 2D instead of Spine for our next game. I have to say we are quite thrill by the package!

Although, my team was surprised and is concerned by the limit of 4 bones influences per vertex you get, especialy since the SkinnedMeshRenderer for 3D animations has been recently increased to 32 bone influences.

Our animation artists love to have extra control bone to have more dynamism in their animations which is why they frequently use up to 8 bones.

Is there a plan to increase the amount bone influences in the future?

2. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

What kind of use-cases do you have? If you are asking for skinned vector graphics this is not something we have currently in the roadmap. In the other hand, there are other use-cases where animation and vector graphics can work together. Please let us know what you have in mind.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Could you give us a comparison between 4 vs 8 bone influences from your artists?
    The reason behind increasing the number of bone influences in 3D was to facilitate importing and using 3D models created for movie productions. So far using 4 bone influences offers good trade-offs for games, both in 2D and 3D.

3. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

For 2019.1, you will need Animation package v2.1

4. michaeleconomy

michaeleconomy

Currently i'm using anima2d skeletons on top of sprites based on .pngs, I'd like to swap out the .pngs with .svgs so they look great at all resolutions and i dont' have to have huge files. Is that possible currently?I thoguht i read that it was not supported, but haven't tested it super thoroughly.

5. michaeleconomy

michaeleconomy

ok, i think i'm also confused, where do we get the latest version 2d animation? I though anima2d for the asset store was the latest.

6. cococol

cococol

Window - package manager - advanced - show preview packages - all packages

you should find it there.

Right now i also have a problem with the 2D animation package. I rigged a 2D sprite before with the package and when i wanted to change the bone placement/redo the rigging with the sprite i couldn't change the bones anymore, they do not show up.

I made a quick video showing the problem i have, i already tried reinstalling the package and also tried using it in a complete new project, which also didn't work.

I'm using 2D animation version 2.0.0 preview.1 and unity 2018.3.1f1

7. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Hi, you have to select the sprite by double-clicking on it. We are aware that this particular setup creates a lot of confusion and we will probably fix in the future.

8. cococol

cococol

Thank you very much, i can finally change the bones again :D

9. ChaosResolution

ChaosResolution

I'm trying to Copy and Paste the bones into another sprite which is identical in shape, but it only copies the same two bones each time I try (the red and yellow ones - I'm not sure if that's significant!). See below:

Am I missing a step needed for this to work? I'd like the bones setup to be identical so that I can re-use an animation.

Thanks!