Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

2D Animation package - PSB workaround?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by redstripeart, Jan 26, 2019.

1. redstripeart

redstripeart

Hey there,

I am new to 2D rig and animation in Unity and I am kind of confused with the new skinning editor. I was able to do some basic rigs and animations in the previous version of 2D animation package (late 2018) but with the new version, I can't even set up bones and weights. From checking youtube tutorial (afaik there is only one for the current version) and official documentation, I need the character exported in PSB file from Photoshop, but I draw everything in Krita and I don't feel like getting photoshop only for the sole purpose of this (I love the idea of putting in the whole character with bits and pieces already split as sprites, but why would this be only photoshop-exclusive when every graphic editor has layers nowadays?). When I tried doing it the old way, importing the png file with all pieces separated, I was able to put bones to secific sprites but I couldn't find way to parent these bones and found that whole "pose preview" function is totally useless that way.

Is there a solution for non-photoshop users or something that I missed while rigging character through classic png map? Thank you for your answer,

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    jlittle489 likes this.
  2. InfiniteDesign8

InfiniteDesign8

its by design that you must pay for PS..could you imagine if we let you set your rig up easy without someone getting paid?

3. awesomedata

awesomedata

AFAIK, krita can export to .PSD -- Do those krita-exported .psd files not work with your version of Unity or something?

4. InfiniteDesign8

InfiniteDesign8

no PSB only ...hence my salty reply

5. apapryk

apapryk

same problem here.. keep it bumped

6. gavinjboyd

gavinjboyd

I'm glad it's not just me with this issue, I would gladly pay for ps or ai if it wasn't priced so high, I will give KRITA a go to see if it works as a workaround

7. kuro_sk

kuro_sk

I spent last four hours trying to find any solution, and actually did. Yay!

https://imagemagick.org/script/download.php

Use from command line like this:

magick convert base.psd base.psb
    (replace 'base.psd' with the name of your psd file, obviously)

Worked for image exported as .psd from Gimp 2.10.8

Hope this helps. GLHF

Princess_Hinata, fsena and od3098 like this.
  8. Arnklit

Arnklit

I've been banging my head against this for the last hour. I cannot fathom how you rearrange your sprites if they are imported as a normal multiple sprite instead of a PSB. People say in the documentation that it's supported to use normal files, but there are no examples of it being done. This is really frustrating.

EDIT: My sprite doesn't even turn into a prefab that I can drag into the scene, even though I've added bones and geometry. Hmmm. I'll try with 2019.3 beta instead and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT 2: Gave renaming my PSD file from Krita to PDB a go as someone mentioned that working and that works, but what a crappy solution. You should be able to use a normal flat file and they should definitely make the "PSD Importer" support more layered file types if they aren't going to support flat files.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. awesomedata

awesomedata

Crazy how much simply renaming a file can kick you in the teeth when iterating on your artwork, isn't it?

10. fsena

fsena

Thhhhaaannnkksss!!!

11. FlavrTown

FlavrTown

You can do it with flattened pngs. Watch the first half or so of this video

12. RandomComm3nt

RandomComm3nt

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    kuro_sk likes this.
  13. jay3sh

jay3sh

Thanks a bunch for this video. This solution should work without PS.

unityunity