Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Animation Package: Am I doing something wrong, or is Auto Weights not working?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by AcademyOfFetishes, Feb 28, 2019.

1. AcademyOfFetishes

AcademyOfFetishes

My character has this arm joint that doesn't move the way I'd like:

I'd like the shoulder/collar of the body to deform with the arm movement. Right now, it's completely detached and moves like a paper doll with a push-pin through it at the start of the green bone.

I thought the issue with this would be about bone influences and weights, but the body has these influences:

And the arm has influence on the chest:

I notice that the body has no "green" weight in it and the arm has no "yellow" weight in it. I think this is causing the "paper doll" effect. But when I press Auto Weights -> Generate, it doesn't change anything. Here's after I press it:

Shouldn't generating weights -- now that the arm bone is included as a influence -- cause some green to go into the body or at least change some of this color?

Am I doing something wrong, or is the button not working correctly?

My bone hierarchy may be helpful, so I'll include that, too:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Hi, Auto-weight will create bone influence on bones that overlap the mesh. In your case, the right-arm bone does not touch body's mesh. You have two options:
    Option 1: Extend body's mesh to make it touch the right-arm bone.
    Option 2: Add right-arm bone to body's bone influence list (like you did) and use the weight-brush to paint the weight manually.

AcademyOfFetishes likes this.
  3. AcademyOfFetishes

AcademyOfFetishes

Thanks for the help. How do you do this one? Do I double click the body sprite and then create new edges/vertices?

4. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Yes, correct.

AcademyOfFetishes likes this.