Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Animation Mobile Performance

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by WhamBamKazaam, May 30, 2019.

1. WhamBamKazaam

WhamBamKazaam

First off, really digging the 2D Animation tools so far. We've been able to create some cool, organic animations and our artist is loving the workflow, so kudos!

That said, we're noticing that our animated characters are taking a surprising toll on the game's performance, particularly on lower-end mobile devices. Each character consists of ~30 pieces; performance seems fine with 1 or 2 characters, but when we've got 6 characters onscreen at once, the frame rate drops below 10 FPS (only on our Galaxy tablet; the game runs fine in the editor and on iOS devices). I can confirm that the Sprite Skin/Sprite Skin Entity scripts are the culprit here; I added a debug button that just disables the Sprite Skin Entity scripts on all characters and the frame rate immediately shot up to about 50 FPS.

I'm curious if there's anything we can be doing on our end to improve performance and/or if there are additional optimizations in the pipeline. We're using the latest version of 2D Animation (I'd seen some dev comments that performance was expected to improve with 2D Animation 2.1.0, which prompted our update to Unity 2019; to be fair, the animations are definitely leaving a smaller footprint while running the game in the editor, but our Android device is still chugging). I suppose using significantly fewer pieces/Sprite Skins is an obvious solution, but we'd like to maintain the existing level of quality (or something close to), if possible.

2. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report. Can we know the tablet model or the specs so that we can check it out?

And if it possible for us to get the character asset as well?

3. WhamBamKazaam

WhamBamKazaam

Yep! The device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite 7.0". 1.3 GHz quad-core processor, 1 GB RAM.

Happy to send the character asset as well. What's the best way to do so?

4. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@WhamBamKazaam Thanks for the info. You can send me a Google drive link or some sort via PM.

5. ETGgames

ETGgames

performance still sucks ass. this package is only good for one or two main characters, don't even think about using it for more than 10 enemies without hefty hefty lag. And yes, I have a good computer. It's a real shame.

6. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Could you send your project for us to look at?
    Did you install Burst and Collections optional packages?

ETGgames likes this.
  7. ETGgames

ETGgames

Collections improved performance HUGELY. Having to install burst and collections just to even get this performance boost is bad because it is otherwise unusable without it, it should be a dependency.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    nithinsb likes this.
  8. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

It's mentioned in the documentation
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.2d.animation@3.2/manual/index.html
    We can't add it as a dependency yet due to Collections is still in preview. Once it is out of preview, we will make it a dependency by default.

ETGgames likes this.