Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Animation - Is there a way to make all bones and solvers start from a default position?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by tfiersen, Mar 27, 2019.

1. tfiersen

tfiersen

I've just started experimenting with Unity in general, and with creating 2D characters specifically (currently using Unity 2018.3.9f1, with 2D Animation 2.0.0-preview.2 and 2D IK 1.0.8-preview-1). I've created my first animation, which went more or less well, except for not being able to record changes as there's this bug which makes the bones rotate and move to weird, kinda random positions.

I then wanted to start with another animation, made some changes, and realized that when switching back to the first animation in the Animation window, some bones where kept in the state as they were left in the second animation, because the first animation didn't modify these bones. For example, the left leg doesn't move in the first animation, but it does in the second, where it starts at a rotated position, so now that leg hangs in this rotated position in the first animation.

So what I had to do then, was to create initial keyframes for each and every bone and solver target, so that they're not being affected by other animations, which is a) a little tedious, and b) seems to make the animation timeline slow/sluggish. So what I'm wondering is whether there is a way to have all bones and solvers always start from a default position, unaffected of other animations, so that only those changes that I make to a specific animation, will actually apply to my character?

Edit: I guess one way to at least speed up the process would be to create a dummy animation, where I initialize keyframes for all required properties once, and then copy them over into the new animations, that would surely safe some time. The question remains though...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  2. dquek

dquek

Unity Technologies

Hi there!

It sounds like your workflow of working on the same prefab could be causing some issues.

Are you animating in the scene directly or in prefab mode?
    Could you provide us the steps to your workflow that cause the issue?

===================

It would be best if you are able to file a bug report with a sample repro project through = Unity > Help > Report a Bug...
    or
    Let me know any more info you can provide here and we can investigate it.

===================

You can also post in this forum and discuss with other users about animation here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-animation-preview-packages.521778/page-5