Search Unity

Official 2D Animation 3.0.4 is out.

Discussion in '2D' started by rustum, Sep 2, 2019.

1. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

This version adds more support for applying 2D Lights to Sprites with bone-based animation.

Specifically you can now use secondary textures.

This means that you can add normal maps to your sprites to define surface detail that can be picked up by the 2D Lights and deforming these sprites by posing or animating your characters will work well. This is because we now consider vertex tangents while deforming a sprite.

This version also includes the experimental Sprite Swap feature.

Here’s more details on this release:

What’s New
    • Added tangent deform for lighting support
    What’s Experimental
    • Sprite Swap
    Changed
    • Make Size property field in Weight Brush draggable for changing brush size
    • Rename SpriteLibraryAsset::GetCategorylabelNames to SpriteLibraryAsset::GetCategoryLabelNames
    • Change string hash for Category and Label name. This might break existing animation usage with SpriteResolver.
    • Add Experimental tag on Sprite Swap related features
    Fixed
    • Fixed Amount slider not working in Weight Slider Panel
    • Fixed exception when changing size to less than 0 in SpriteLibraryAssetInspector
    • Fixed Sprite visual corruption when swapping Sprite using SpriteResolver

2. IShol

IShol

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Manou1111 and Corvwyn like this.
  3. HelloEStar

HelloEStar

4. Manou1111

Manou1111

Got the same problem anyone got an idea how to solve it ?

5. HelloEStar

HelloEStar

I have a simple way to avoid this situation:

1. open your prefab, edit something but do not save
    2. rename .psb file or rename the variant of .psb file
    3. click keep change

then you may see the datas.
    However, we'd better to wait for plugin update

mayagamesrpg likes this.
  6. jeffweber

jeffweber

I am also having this issue with a sprite that is NOT a prefab.

• I upgraded from 2019.2.5 where all was working well.
    • After the update I got the "Sprite has no bind pose issue".
    • I opened the SpriteEditor, Edited a bone, then hit apply. (This has worked in the past to get by this issue.. seems to sort of rebuild things).
    • After this, the "Sprite has no bind pose" went away and all was good... HOWEVER....
    • When I closed Unity and re-opened.. or even just toggled to "Maximize On Play" the sprite would revert back to the "Sprite has not bind pose" error and I'd have to do the process all over.
    Guess I'll hold on 2019.3 beta until this is fixed.

-Jeff

7. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

It sounds like you've run into this bug.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-save-assets-modified-during-assetpostprocess

A fix is on the way but if you need to workaround it for now, try switching to Asset Pipeline Version 1.

Project Settings > Editor > Asset Pipeline > Version 1

Corvwyn and jeffweber like this.
  8. games4ever

games4ever

Hello @ed_s

You're solution solves the bones' discconnection related to the SpriteSkin script, but in my case, I'm using Unity2020.1.0a3 and the Pipeline Version 1 corrupts all the Sprite textures generating a Bug (see my thread posted a few days ago: https://forum.unity.com/threads/sprite-selection-window-issue.745199/)

Please solve this bug the sooner the better and keep us informed.

Thank you in advance!

9. EvOne

EvOne

Launching a still-not-ready animation package under the alpha version of Unity 2020, which appeared in the list of official alpha a week ago? Extreme, however... :)
    Are you sure that developers will now be able to answer whose bug it is there?

But after that You write as if your project on the final official release version of Unity was buggy... o_O
    -"fix it urgently and keep us..."! Probably joke ... :rolleyes::D

P.S. Sorry fo google-translate...:oops:

10. ed_s

ed_s

Unity Technologies

EvOne likes this.
  11. games4ever

games4ever

12. ManiaCCC

ManiaCCC

Stupid question so sorry for that, but how to update to 3.0.5 when the newest version in package manager is 2.2.0?

13. Corvwyn

Corvwyn

3.X.X is 2019.3 and 2.X.X is 2019.2

14. ManiaCCC

ManiaCCC

Got it, thank you :)

15. Gray_Streak

Gray_Streak

Thanks @rustum - Question: Are there plans for Squash and Stretch (deforming) for unity 2D bone animation (similar to puppet2d or spine)?

Overall the package looks amazing but this critical area keeps me from wanting to use it in my next project.

Also, my applogies if this is a repeated question. I couldn't find it on the fourms

EvOne likes this.
  16. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

There are definitely plans. We want to understand how deformation is being used by current and upcoming projects. Are you using it in isolation or as part of a more complex rig. What outcomes are you hoping to achieve for your animations?

Gray_Streak and EvOne like this.
  17. Gray_Streak

Gray_Streak

The main package I currently use is Puppet2D with the unity animator:
    • The vast majority of the animation is done driven via the IK controls at FPS of 12.
    • Swap out sprites as needed (mostly hands and Squash and Strech ) in the animator
    • Use Free Form Deformation handles Exaggeration i.e. PopEyes Arms after eating spinach
    My understanding is that I can do everything with the new animation package expect that I would need to roll some code Free Form Deformation - Correct?

Oh, I would also need to write something to correct stretched normal maps as well, I suppose.

Anyways, My over all goal is to use Unity's new 2D animation system with the new 2D light system. The addition of dynamic lighting and normal maps has been a game-changer in my prototypes.

18. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

Hi @rustum is there any way now to stretch a sprite skin? I'm using it for a cable with two endpoints, and a CCD solver to move one of the points and make the rest follow along.
    It would make it easier to use if I could stretch it slightly and the bone structure would stretch equally and to certain limits.

I guess I can move each bone of the chain to make it stretch, but it would be nice if it was dynamic. Any way to make this with code or using a feature I haven't yet found?

This might even be usable for rope physics without any extra assets, but I'm not sure. :)

EvOne likes this.