Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

290MB of iOS executable

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by kjuanlu, Jan 13, 2016.

1. kjuanlu

kjuanlu

Hello all

I just make both iOS and Android builds for testing, and I just noticed that Android apk file is about 17MB, and the ipa file is about 170MB !!!!!

I unzipped the ipa file to view the content, and I noticed that the binary is 290MB (uncompressed).

The editor log when I made the build show this (ios version) :
    Textures 13.0 mb 44.0%
    Meshes 5.8 mb 19.7%
    Animations 546.1 kb 1.8%
    Sounds 8.2 kb 0.0%
    Shaders 184.3 kb 0.6%
    Other Assets 543.3 kb 1.8%
    Levels 3.5 mb 12.0%
    Scripts 1.2 mb 4.1%
    Included DLLs 3.9 mb 13.3%
    File headers 819.0 kb 2.7%
    Complete size 29.6 mb 100.0%

So, why the binary is about 290MB??? I'm using unity 5.3.1p1 ILCPP Universal, Fast but no Exceptions. What's is wrong?

Thank you!

Regards

2. amjaliks

amjaliks

Have you built it with Xcode? If yes, then most probably you have built it with enabled bitcode. Don't worry about size. Actual download size for the App Store customers will be small. The App Store will prepare separate versions for every device architecture from bitcode included in your build.

I have the same experience, when Anton: The Hill Climb build size after migration to Xcode 7 grew from ~40 MB to ~300 MB. But actual download size is still about ~40 MB (if I can trust iTunes Connect on the that).

3. kjuanlu

kjuanlu

The last project I've sent to appStore was about 77,7Mb (build and exported with xcodebuild command line), and the game size is 99,5Mb on the appStore. This game was built with unity 4.6.9p1, IL2CPP Universal.

So my experience is that the (download) size is higher on the appStore than Xcode. We are in alpha stage, so it's not a priority for now, but It's a good idea to know that projects made with unity 5 and xcode7 are higher than download size.

Thank you!

4. kjuanlu

kjuanlu

I tested without dSYM file and bitcode disabled (you was right, bitcode was enabled). Now the ipa file is 22,6Mb. Thank you! Bitcode disbled, noted ;)

5. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

You don't need to disable bitcode. It will be stripped by Apple servers before app is delivered to users and it's not accounted for download size.