Search Unity

24 Hour Terrain Demo

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 20, 2013.

1. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

Hey guys, I hope the screenshot competition is still going:). I have some screenshots. I also have the same with different FOV's, tell me what you think.
    I would also like to say that this I think is the best looking game of 2013/early 2014, although it is a showcase and not a game. It looks AMAZING.

$TheSearch1USE.jpg $TheSearch2USE.jpg $TheSearch4USE.jpg $TheSearch5USE.jpg

2. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

One more set of photos. Just two this time. I still cannot get over how beautiful it is. :)

$TheSearchMore1JPG.jpg $TheSearchMore2JPG.jpg

3. eagle555

eagle555

Multiplayer on such terrain should work fine. With TerrainComposer you can generate the terrains and vegetation in runtime, so if someone has lower hardware the heightmap resolution/grass resolution/tree density can be dialed down. In the next demo I will do the runtime generation...

Nathaniel

4. eagle555

eagle555

Hello HuskyPanda,

Your screenshots looks nice. The screenshot competition is still going until the next version is released. At the moment we are not working on it as we are waiting for RTPv3.1. Tom the developer is almost ready giving us the beta. I haven't seen it yet, but Peter has, and he says it's features are through the roof and it can be called RTP4...So looking forward to update the demo with RTP3.1 :), and we have a cool suprise comming with it...It will be enhanced at every level...

Nathaniel

5. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Sam,

The thing about WorldComposer is that you have to select areas that are not too big to export with total image resolution and heightmap resolution. I recommend not to go higher then a 4k heightmap and 16k total image resolution.

Yes we can make an Oculus Rift version :).

Nathaniel

6. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

Hello thanks for replying. Also, with the settings on higher the demo runs pretty slow, do you know what is causing it. I am planning on using this for a large scale multiplayer game. Do you know if it's just the shaders of postproccessing making it slow.

7. eagle555

eagle555

It's not the post processing making it slow, neither RTP3, RTP3 is very optimized. It's mainly the grass....and then second the trees. We went a little overboard with the grass resolution, it is 4096 on each terrain (4 terrains in there) which is huge and then use many grass textures.
    We wanted that thick density but for slower machines it doesn't run well. And third we use a 4k heightmap and that also needs pretty high end hardware.
    So in the next version I will make that resolutions can be reduced on the fly. Now it's only drawing less grass, but still the high resolution is there, making it slower.

Nathaniel

8. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

Oh ok cool. I think I may buy all the assets, I was just getting concerned, my PC can play BF3 on high, but it lagged on that lol. Although I do not think I will use 4k grass, I will use low res textures for speed in my game.:D Also how did you combine the 4 terrains , is that also with terrain composer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  9. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I made the terrains with TerrainComposer. Can import a big heightmap in TC heightmap layer and spread it over as many tiles as you want.

Nathaniel

10. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

Do you think you can use world composer for runtime generation and quickly re-texture it in terrain composer, with it working with networking too.

So I guess I mean would it run at run time, and fast. Also could I send coords over a server as RPC(int or float), to give like a Rect, and then find the map position, generate it(in world composer), then re-texture(over server if possible). Like, would that even run?

Also, what is the status on the competition?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  11. eagle555

eagle555

It would be possible with modifications to WorldComposer, but I didn't make it like this on purpose as it cannot be done without running into issues with Bing and Google maps, etc. They wouldn't be happy with it. They both have restrictions of transactions you can make in a day for free. That's why downloading the data is the better choise, then streaming it directly...

The competition is still going, people can still post screenshots. At the moment Peter is very busy, we will be updating the demo when he has more time. Then also the winners will be announced.

Nathaniel

12. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, what is the licence deal when it comes to making commercial projects with world composer? Im obviously referring to the use of satellite imagery?

Also, What is the quality of textures when close up? Are there any detail textures or anything that can be used close up?

Thanks
    Andy

13. eagle555

eagle555

As for the commercial use you can read the discussion about it on the WorldComposer forum:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/21...tool-to-create-real-World-AAA-quality-terrain

As for the texture quality. It is max 0.25 meter per pixel, which is very high. You can take a look at Microsoft Bing maps, this is the source WorldComposer uses at the moment.
    http://www.bing.com/maps/

Also take a look at the 24 hour demo as we use a 3.75 meter per pixel satellite image (4x 4k) for it. So it can be a lot more detailed. But RTP has to be used with it for up close, as it needs to be mixed with splat textures like in the demo.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  14. iamsam

iamsam

Thanks Nathaniel for the heads up, was waiting for it and will surely pick it up tomorrow.

15. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

I would like to speak to you about using this in my current project. Would I have to pay or could I just give credit to you?

16. eagle555

eagle555

You would have to buy the package on the Asset Store.

Nathaniel

17. jbh142

jbh142

Eagle if I wanted to map an whole island like the Grand Cayman islands could that be done fairly easy?

18. eagle555

eagle555

Watch my video on http://www.terraincomposer.com/worldcomposer/ to see how easy it is to export areas.

Nathaniel

19. VectorNector

VectorNector

Picked it up as soon as I saw it on sale. I can't wait to pick it apart today and I'm really interested in getting the other gem, Terrain Composer. Thank you for your hard work!

20. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Really awesome stuff :D. Here are a few screenshots:

$TheSearch2.png

$TheSearch4.png

21. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Enjoyed wandering around in the 64bit demo. Two things.. the camera seems too close to the ground for a person..(maybe the right height for an animal) and the 'camera look' swings about too fast. Generally, very impressive.

22. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for the feedback. The camera is at the right distance from the ground compared with the terrain scale. But I understand what you mean, the texture scale could be smaller. Also a mouse sensivity would be nice to have in the menu. We will add this in the next demo ;).

Nathaniel

23. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

Mkay, thats fine. I'm going to try to by it this month.

24. iamsam

iamsam

Purchased it. A naive question, is it possible to export the resulting terrain in fbx or another format to be used with external 3d tools such as max or maya?

25. eagle555

eagle555

Both TerrainComposer and WorldComposer export in 16 bit raw grey scale format. You can get this into max or maya and convert it into a mesh.

Nathaniel

26. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

Can you generate terrain composer buildings based off of a world composer map.
    E.G
    If you have a shed on the world composer map(in the texture), could you make it that the shed then can be placed by terrain composer as a certain 3d model?

27. eagle555

eagle555

You could try the image filter tool, but for building it doesn't work that good. Something like open street maps would be needed. I might make an asset in the future that does places buildings and roads from open street maps.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  28. virror

virror

Amazing demo!
    Maybe someone have asked this before, i did not read every post of the thread, but what about Oculus Rift support for this demo?
    Just a button to switch to the Oculus prefab would be pretty simple to add? That would be awesome to try that terrain in VR : D

29. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks, we will add oculus rift in an update.

Nathaniel

30. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

is the contest still on?

31. eagle555

eagle555

Yes until we release a new version...

Nathaniel

32. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

33. Darkoo

Darkoo

I am going hunting Easter eggs..

Btw, I think VSync Count setting is on "Don't Sync" in this demo. It forces my PC to work like a beast. that said, very nice demo. this is just a tiny glimpse of what this assets can do.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  34. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

When do you think the new version will be released?

35. eagle555

eagle555

We are thinking of releasing the new version next month. As Peter and me are both pretty bussy at the moment.

Nathaniel

36. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh nathaniel, I have been been keeping myself busy delving into the depths of WC i think you'd quite like it, I have 5 satellite imagery providers working in it, and now I have the hang of it i think I can find several more, there's even a great javascript api for it that can switch between a good selection with minimal fuss, and its quite interesting how each provider styles their imagery

Proving tricky is the elevation data, after snooping i've found that google mysteriously don't mention how accurate their elevation data is but it seems significantly more accurate, worldwide than any other provider i can find seems nor more than 5-10m in any direction. No problem with limited image resolution here so could be a good companion to other imagery providers, ive had it kind of integrated but it just proved it was possible but needs a different method to the bings one and it might be a tad above my station, i'll look more when i wake up. though

37. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Lazygunn,

Thanks for looking for new providers, etc. It`s great you implemented some other providers. As we both noticed that the Microsoft Bing provider WorldComposer has now, is one of the best satellite image sources. The only provider that has the simular quality is Google maps. But anyways it will be interesting to have all these different providers in WorldComposer, they will be all available in the next WorldComposer version.

Nathaniel

38. adamh1

adamh1

just downloaded from that mega website as i really want to try it, where on earth does it send the file though if you choose to download to your computer?? ive looked everywhere!

39. eagle555

eagle555

It depends on the browser you use, normally should be able to right click the downloaded file and choose show folder.

Nathaniel

40. norby

norby

it looks like there is nothing to download anymore

Norby

41. eagle555

eagle555

Here it works fine. What exactly happens?

Nathaniel

42. norby

norby

i got only this
    and then nothing happens
    Safari is causing this . Firiefox works fine
    $Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 11.42.02.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  43. Setmaster

Setmaster

Mega is giving me "temporary error, retrying" no matter what, really sad.

44. eagle555

eagle555

Yes indeed the 64 Bit version seems to have this isue, I will try upload to another source. The 32 bit version still works fine here.

Nathaniel

45. le_duke

le_duke

Hi guys !

First I would like to say how awesome this tool looks gratz !

And I also hope the contest is still on because i found something that looks like an easter egg to me =)
    And It will be awesome if i can import good looking terrain in my paragliding simulator !

http://twitpic.com/dyblpd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  46. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

No the easter egg contest is closed, it was found already, this is also in the first page description of the thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/218650-24-Hour-Terrain-Demo/page11

However the screenshot contest is still open. Peter and I have been very bussy lately, but we will release a new demo version proberly somewhere next month then the egg search starts over again.

Nathaniel

47. le_duke

le_duke

Oh ok ,I had not seen seen it on the main page of the thread =/
    Anyway the walk was fun and beautiful ! (and long ^^)

So I'm gonna give a try for the screenshot contest !

Good luck for your next release !

48. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi Nathaniel,
    could you please set a date for the next Easter egg search? I personally don’t need to win anything as I have already bought everything but it was fun to search. This time plant 3 eggs, Gold, Silver and Bronze. One in the mountains, one on the plains and one in a jungle. What would really, really be very cool is to place a few of these around the world. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11975
    I look forward to this Easter.

49. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

To everyone,
    I use TC, WC and RTP. I also use lots of different assets and have to look every time in that stupid thing called asset store. What I mean by stupid is exactly that. You cannot find anything without slowing down your workflow. I found a new asset called Grab Yer assets and now working in Unity, finding and importing assets is a breeze. Even quickly going to the URL from an asset is just plain brilliant. The developer is very active and open to suggestions. This will make your life easier. Trust me and no I do not have any personal connections to the developer . I just thought that this could help many like me that have hundreds of assets. This is simple but simply very good and useful. I cannot imagine using Unity now without it, just like many other helpful assets I own. Here is a quick example of how I use it:

1. In Unity I suddenly want to import an Easter egg for example into my project.
    2. I type easter into the Grab yer asset and there it is.
    3. I can now right click an import or I can select go to url and read about it.
    4. I can also have my own folder with my favourite tools and assets. These can then all be imported automatically at once if I choose.
    5. Then maybe I need Probuilder quickly. I type pro and there it is with a few other assets or I type builder and surprise I have it.
    6. I wish to comment on an asset, right click, goto url and there it is.
    7. Just love it.

50. eagleeyez

eagleeyez