Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro [2023.2] Latest Development on TextMesh Pro

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by HugoBD-Unity, May 9, 2023.

1. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

[2023.2] Latest Development on TextMesh Pro

As of 2023.2, the TextMesh Pro package (com.unity.textmeshpro) has been merged into the uGUI package (com.unity.ugui) and the TextMesh Pro package has been deprecated. Many have asked about the verification of TextMeshPro 3.2.0-pre.4, and we confirm that it is the version we used for the migration. Note that there won't be an official verification for this version as it will now be part of the core product, and as such, will be subject to the same level of support provided by Unity. Upon upgrading, the TMP package will automatically be removed and a pop-up window will appear prompting you to upgrade the default resources and extras. Upgrading these resources is essential for proper functionality.

For users currently using TMP 4.0.0-pre.2, the package will also be uninstalled, but it is important to manually upgrade to uGUI 3.0.0-exp.1 through the Package Manager. The uGUI 3.0.0-exp.1 package contains TMP 4.0.0-pre.2, which includes an asset migration mechanism that converts TextMeshPro text assets (FontAsset, SpriteAssets, etc.) to TextCore text assets. This allows reusing assets between UI Toolkit and TextMeshPro. Note that uGUI 3.0.0-exp.1 will remain experimental in the 2023.2 release, but we plan to merge this version into the core product in 2024.1.

2. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Kind of annoying that this has happened ( I voiced my concerns previously), but what really bugs me is that 3.2.0 and 4.0.0 were never updated to verified status, so anyone on 3.0.6 will not be able to validate against those versions prior to making the forced switch over to the new uGUI package.

I'm currently updating an old project from 2018.4 (LTS) to probably 2022.3 (LTS) and have already ran into challenges as I was using a custom TMPro package. Thankfully my modifications were minimal and I'm looking to just removing them completely so I no longer have to embed the package.

However as its such an old project I'm updating from one LTS to the next in series in order to catch any potential breaking changes as they happen and simplify Q&A instead of being faced with an unknown issues that might conflict with each other or just leave the project hopelessly broken requiring days or weeks of Q&A.

This updating process from one LTS to the next is why I'm annoyed that 3.2.0 and 4.0.0 were never verified. If they were verified I could continue updating both Unity and TMPro in sync, ensuring nothing had broken, before finally switching over to the version of Unity where it was merged into uGUI, safe in the knowledge that it should just work. I guess this is still true to a degree with 3.2.0-pre.4, but not with 4.0.0-pre.2, and I would not even had known about either if I hadn't stumbled upon this post. It just makes more work for all your customers, that could have been much better handled if those versions had just got verified prior to the merge.

Sadly this issue is just going to be knocked down the road for me as I'm only going to update to the latest LTS so 2022. This means I'll waste even more time during the next update cycle in a few years and just pray I remember these details.

Unifikation and mh114 like this.
  3. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Noisecrime! Thanks for taking the time to raise your concerns.

The migration of com.unity.textmeshpro@3.2.0 into com.unity.ugui@2.0.0 is the equivalent of the package verification, meaning com.unity.ugui@2.0.0 will be production ready for the official release of 2023.2. Unfortunately, due to how package verification works, we could not verify the package on previous versions of Unity.

Note however, that we'll be releasing new versions of com.unity.textmeshpro@3.2.0 from com.unity.ugui@2.0.0, which is nearly identical. So although the package is not verified, we are committed to backporting fixes to it.

Gooren and Noisecrime like this.
  4. Unifikation

Unifikation

Does this mean we'll no longer be able to customise TextMeshPro?

5. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Unifikation!

Yes, since com.unity.ugui is also a package, it will remain customizable. Meaning you'll still have source code access to the package.

6. Unifikation

Unifikation

Shaders, too? I use heavily customised SDF/TMP shaders. And heavily rely upon them. eg:

upload_2023-6-15_5-25-16.jpeg

Anoa, Whatever560 and Noisecrime like this.
  7. Luchunpen_0

Luchunpen_0

I have a questions about TextMeshPro 3.2.0-pre.4:
    Will it be updated to the release version ?
    Could we use it in our project without any problem or is it better to wait release?

Thanks in advance !

8. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, customized shaders will continue to work, you may need to reapply your changes on the new shaders though.

9. Unifikation

Unifikation

Is all the UGUI "Canvas" system still fully integrated, for diegetic UI etc and working the way we have been for 5+ years?

If so, can we have access to the resolvers so as to optimise and Burstify/Job them?

I'll personally pay someone to do this and make it public/open source, if it's accessible, since Unity's abandoned improving this approach to making UI in-game, and not yet replaced it with anything anywhere near as capable.

Sift3D likes this.
  10. Unifikation

Unifikation

Is this because the incorporate TextMeshPro is looking at a different folder for its newly inbuilt way of being IN the engine as opposed to being a mere package?

11. Unifikation

Unifikation

Take a look at Unity Material Variants vs TMP Material Presets. Many aspects of this "relationship" are fundamentally broken, to the deficit and malfunction of TMP.

@HugoBD-Unity

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If upon upgrading you don't already have ugui installed nothing happens, the project just errors out. Please make the upgrade process more robust, because it makes zero sense that I need an old neglected UI package just to use some 3d text that has nothing to do with your failed UIs.

(and if you add the ugui package afterwards there is no prompt to upgrade the extras and resources).

Thygrrr likes this.
  13. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @AcidArrow!

Thanks for raising the issue, which version of the Editor are you using ? We've worked on an automatic upgrade process that should prompt to upgrade the resources so I am surprised it did not work for you.

I understand your concern about modularity, but note that it is not a regression. com.unity.textmeshpro had a hard dependency on com.unity.ugui, making it impossible to use TextMesh Pro in a standalone way.

14. Factoris

Factoris

many components that used the old UI Text moved to the Legacy section, but the Toggle in which the UI Text is located remained and is not there, transfer it to Legacy and add Toggle - TextMeshPro

AndreaGalet likes this.
  15. AndreaGalet

AndreaGalet

I agree, i really don't understand why they still have toggle on old text

16. Evaldas95

Evaldas95

Unity Technologies

MRTK doesn't work anymore on the latest streams of Unity (2023.2 and 2023.3).
    upload_2023-9-12_15-12-3.png

dhtpdud528, Sift3D and ETGgames like this.
  17. Iman_col

Iman_col

Attached Files:

dhtpdud528 and kmowers like this.
  18. cuttinged

cuttinged

Updating to 2023 and it says I have Text mesh Pro tmp 3.0.6 installed. An outside asset requires TMP it and I get the error The type or namespace name 'TMPro' could not be found And it seems there are no options to reinstall or anything. What am I supposed to do.

19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you only have com.unity.ugui installed as a dependency of text mesh pro (on 2021 LTS), when upgrading a project (to 2023) the UI package is missing. I don't understand why you can't detect such a case and add ugui to replace tmpro automatically, especially when you have no problem with adding garbage packages like AI navigation to my projects.

Thygrrr likes this.
  20. vg_swift-games

vg_swift-games

Any updates planned soon to TextMeshPro 3.2.0-pre.4?
    Would love to use the emojis, but can't due to all the bugs there

21. Hayden-Verbrec

Hayden-Verbrec

So, if this automated process doesn't trigger, how does one manually initiate this?

I've cut a branch for the new beta release of 2023.2.0b14 to test this functionality but what I'm seeing isn't consistent with what is being announced.

Most TMP assets and implementations are intact, prompting me to import TMP essentials/bonus assets once again like it's a new install.

Definitely need some help here.

22. pablo_leban

pablo_leban

Any chance that bidirectional text is going to be supported at some point? The hebrew and arabic community has requested their language to be included in my game many times, but I'm unable to do so because of the lack of bidirectional text support.

23. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Text Mesh Pro 3.2.0-pre 6 came out a month ago so you might be missing a couple updates.

For the record Unity 2023.2 and later no longer has the package called Text Mesh Pro.
    It was merged into UGUI version 2.0 with the Text Core updates.
    UGUI 2.0 matches the release of 3.2 API and all the same workflow and class names.

UGUI 3.0 uses what was originally text Mesh Pro 4 if you want to use the stuff from the version 4 release.

[EDITED] to try UGUI 3.0 download
    com.unity.ugui
    3.0.0-exp.3

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  24. CrazyMeow

CrazyMeow

Hello,

It has been around half a year since UGUI 3.0.0 exp1 was released, and I was wondering if there have been any updates or higher versions released since then. Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if there have been any fixes or improvements regarding the issues I encountered, such as the inaccuracies in m_preferredHeight calculation when using tmp_text with multiple SDF fonts, as well as the issues with Descender, Ascender, and LineOffset in the code logic. Have these issues been addressed in the newer versions?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

25. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Due note the current version is 3.0.0-exp.3. There was two updates after 3.0.0-exp.1
    One of the updates added a bit of bug fixes for PreferredHeight.

CrazyMeow likes this.
  26. CrazyMeow

CrazyMeow

Thank you for your response. I had attempted to acquire 3.0.0-exp.2, and the failure led me to believe that no updated version had been released. I hadn't realized there was an exp.3 version, which is a great help to me.

27. CrazyMeow

CrazyMeow

After testing the ugui-3.0.0-exp.3 version,It appears that the problem with the PreferredHeight calculation has not been fully resolved. Although there has been some improvement, the version still lacks proper handling of Descenders and Ascenders in multilingual contexts.

Considering this version was released in July, I am wondering if there has been a newer version released since then to address these issues. Alternatively, could you advise me on where I can obtain information on the latest updates for UGUI?

I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter and look forward to your feedback.

Thank you.

28. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Want to start off by saying I am not officially affiliated with Unity so somethings I mention could change or by off till full information is release.

By the looks of it UGUI 3.0.0-pre.2 had a big breaking bug so it was skipped after it was found. I don't have 100% confirmation on that though.

Context for anyone who reads the next part.
    Ascenders in the form of text are the upper parts of a letter/symbol that exceeds the mean line of the font
    Descenders are the portion of a letter/symbol below the mean line in fonts.

For the Descenders and Ascenders what are the issues you are running into.

Are they being calculated incorrectly from the mean line or is offset value not taking the mean line into account.

Is there specific languages you notice that are worse than others?

Are you using Unity's tool set for multilingual contexts?
    I remember seeing with this setting active how you can change the values of text on a per language basis very easily.

Using the built in Unity component called Game Object Localizer I haven't noticed any issues setting the values of text in UGUI 3.0 in different languages.
    Screenshot attached from the documentation of what I mean.

Due note I use Smart Strings instead of normal strings for text that need multi language support.
    With the localization setting turned on Unity supports smart strings for this case.

Attached Files:

29. CrazyMeow

CrazyMeow

I apologize for the miscommunication earlier. When I referred to multilingual support, I meant that apart from the default fontAsset, additional FallbackFontAssets have been added, and within the same text, extra TMP SubMeshUI components have emerged.

If a single line includes additional TMP SubMeshUI components, this issue will arise. Below are some text examples to reproduce this bug (in all the following cases, the preferredHeight is calculated correctly in the release version of TextMeshPro 3.0.6).

TMP_Text Settings:
    2.jpg

The bug can be reproduced by including at least 2 kinds of TMP SubMeshUI text within the same line.
    The following cases with ellipsis are instances where errors occurred.
    3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

30. CrazyMeow

CrazyMeow

The following two font files were used
    Noto Sans Simplified Chinese - Google Fonts NotoSansSC-Regular.otf
    Noto Sans - Google Fonts NotoSans-Regular.ttf
    A我

31. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I feel like I have seen this before with a known fix. Trying to remember.
    Out of curiosity are you using dynamic mode for your text font asset.

32. CrazyMeow

CrazyMeow

Thank you for your reply. After testing, the dynamic and static results are completely consistent, and both can reproduce the issue.

33. ETGgames

ETGgames

getting a bunch of The type or namespace name 'TMPro' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

34. castor76

castor76

@HugoBD-Unity
    I have just upgraded from 2023.1 to 2023.2 and now I can't edit Sprite Sheet -> Edit Glyph, giving me continuous Null Reference Exception.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_SpriteCharacterPropertyDrawer.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect position, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@2.0.0/Editor/TMP/PropertyDrawers/TMP_SpriteCharacterPropertyDrawer.cs:132)
    UnityEditor.PropertyDrawer.OnGUISafe (UnityEngine.Rect position, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label) (at <dd62d83a4bae432a9f10f9df151ae3a2>:0)
    UnityEditor.PropertyHandler.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect position, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, System.Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.Rect visibleArea) (at <dd62d83a4bae432a9f10f9df151ae3a2>:0)
    UnityEditor.PropertyHandler.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect position, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, System.Boolean includeChildren) (at <dd62d83a4bae432a9f10f9df151ae3a2>:0)
    UnityEditor.PropertyHandler.OnGUILayout (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, System.Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <dd62d83a4bae432a9f10f9df151ae3a2>:0)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, System.Boolean includeChildren, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <dd62d83a4bae432a9f10f9df151ae3a2>:0)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.PropertyField (UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <dd62d83a4bae432a9f10f9df151ae3a2>:0)
    TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_SpriteAssetEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ugui@2.0.0/Editor/TMP/TMP_SpriteAssetEditor.cs:262)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass74_0.<CreateInspectorElementUsingIMGUI>b__0 () (at <dd62d83a4bae432a9f10f9df151ae3a2>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

upload_2023-11-28_2-46-57.png

The sheet ofcourse was working fine in Unity 2023.1

The changes to TMP in 2023.2 obviously broke it.
    If updating to exp version of UI like some of you have mentioned here in this form could help, how can I actually update to that version using the package manager?

Faithtoken likes this.
  35. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

If it is now in UGUI, why do I still get the clunky Import TMP Essentials Dialog, often multiple times in one session? Please just put the essentials in the package...

Side Note: Can we maybe stop naming it TextMeshPro?

How about just Text? Type aliases could be used for compat but the original type names of what used to be a patchy 3rd party package are stylistically u pretty.

HolonauticDennys likes this.
  36. Hayden-Verbrec

Hayden-Verbrec

Hey,

The official release has been published but this is still an issue.

No upgrade is actually being performed on our project and we get spammed with "Please reimport TMP essentials."

Unifikation, kmowers and Anflogue like this.
  37. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

What a horrendous user experience, i upgraded our project and simply have compiler errors. The package documentation has nothing about this whatsoever.

VOTRUBEC and Unifikation like this.
  38. ErnestSurys

ErnestSurys

Is there a migration flow for UPM package authors? Packages that have dependency on com.unity.textmeshpro don't import correctly to Unity 2023.2 with an error:

39. Unifikation

Unifikation

Has anyone at Unity thought this through?

If so, care to discuss how mere users should deal with this kind of dependence problem?

CloudyVR likes this.
  40. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

Hi gang. I'm having issues since updating.

Firstly, it seems to want to destroy the TMP_SubMeshUI child object/component, but only on certain objects.

Secondly, I'm getting the follow error spammed.

Any clues how to resolve? This was all working properly before updating to 2023.2.4.

upload_2024-1-10_13-6-2.png

Code (csharp):
    1. if (m_textElementType == TMP_TextElementType.Sprite)
    2. {
    3.     // If a sprite is used as a fallback then get a reference to it and set the color to white.
    4.     m_currentSpriteAsset = m_textInfo.characterInfo[m_characterCount].textElement.textAsset as TMP_SpriteAsset;
    5.     m_spriteIndex = (int)m_textInfo.characterInfo[m_characterCount].textElement.glyphIndex;
    7.     TMP_SpriteCharacter sprite = m_currentSpriteAsset.spriteCharacterTable[m_spriteIndex];
    It seems to think there's a m_spriteIndex, but the spriteCharacterTable doesn't have the sprite. I'm sure this also ties in with the above, whereby the TMP_SubMeshUI is being destroyed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
  41. Sotalo

Sotalo

IDK if this is the best place to ask, but is it possible for TextMesh Pro to get the ability to flow from one text container to another, or avoid certain boxes for images, similar to magazine publications? I'm making a museum, and it would be ideal to have some of these features:
    • Text flow from one container to another.
    • Word wrapping around boxes, capsules, triangles, circles.
    • Ability to word wrap around custom shapes.
    • Amplify integration for custom graph-based shaders.

42. Faithtoken

Faithtoken

I had the same problem, so for now I'm stuck at Unity 2023.1.19f1.
    Read something about making a new kind of sprite sheet using the new text engine, or converting or something, but would like a simple step by step guide or maybe for it to be an automatic conversion when opening for the first time in a newer version.

43. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the delays and thanks for raising the issue. Could you report the bug using the Unity Bug Reporter ? We'll have a look.

mrtenda likes this.
  44. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Faithtoken! This also sounds like a bug, could you open a ticket through the Unity Bug Reporter ? Thanks!

45. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Hello I am trying to install the Oculus SDK v60 in Unity 2023 but no matter what I do I am not able to work around the broken dependency: tmp.png

The packages looks to be installed but I get errors saying TMP_ could not be found:
    err.png

I would like to know how to update packages to use the new com.unity.ugui when they require the old TMP package? I am not concerned about losing text mesh pro since I don't intend to use it in my projects. However this is causing great difficulty for me to upgrade my existing project since I can not properly install the latest Oculus package to Untiy 2023.

Some guidance on how to resolve this issue would be really appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  46. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Ran into that issue last night with a custom package. I had to manually add a reference to the assembly that TMPro was in via a code IDE because the Unity inspector for assembly definitions couldn't recognize the TMPro one.

Due note I had to also disable reference by GUID in the assembly.

47. ErnestSurys

ErnestSurys

Hey @HugoBD-Unity could we get official response to this issue?

48. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ErnestSurys! The mechanism migrating TMP to uGUI indeed had an issue with packages dependent on TMP. This can be fixed on the package side by removing the dependency on TMP and adding a dependency to uGUI instead but it requires a new package release.

We've recently addressed the issue on Unity's side in 2023.2.7f1, which is scheduled for release on January 27th, provided all goes as planned. Additionally, the fix is included in 2023.3.0b2.

Once again, we're sorry about the delays and inconveniences.

MousePods likes this.
  49. jonathan_lumos

jonathan_lumos

Are there plans to support Dynamic OS Fonts in WebGL or at the very least document which platforms are supported?

50. Faithtoken

Faithtoken

Done, wrote something like this:

Editor throws a NullReferenceException when you click "Edit Glyph".

1. Make a new project in Unity 2023.1.* or a earlier version. Create a "Text Mesh Pro" object with a "Sprite Sheet" and a "TMP_Sprite Asset".

2. Open the project in 2023.2.*.

3. Click "Edit Glyph".

4. Error. Editor throws a NullReferenceException, the asset locks up showing only the first two or so characters in the sprite sheet, until you unselect the asset and try again, same problem occurs every time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    HugoBD-Unity and Unifikation like this.