Search Unity

2021 reflection probe blending in URP

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Weaver, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Weaver

Weaver

Edit: Nevermind I can't read the docs. Too much work kills your brain. I wish I could delete this thread.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

3. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

Reflection probe blending was just released in the 2021.2 alpha.

fuzzy3d likes this.
  4. Weaver

Weaver

Crazy timing! I'm prototyping a new project that I started just last weekend so I'll upgrade and give it a try right now.

For my particular use case I found a reflection probe se to realtime update every frame with time sliced as individual faces provided the effect I wanted though it had a performance hit. The nature of my game is such that just having a single probe updating near the player (which is a rigidbody hardsurface model so I wanted it to look reflective and shiny) was fine.

However I'll see if blending between baked probes that don't update is faster.

5. MP-ul

MP-ul

Is not working, I tested it out and is not working, the reflection snaps instantly when you enter or exit a reflection probe.Also the box projection is not working.

6. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

This doesn't appear to be the case in a19, I also don't see the new shader keywords in the Lit shader. Since the URP package version hasn't changed throughout the alpha I'm assuming no updated version is reeled in?

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

what's the perf hit compared to builtin?

8. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

@Fenixake it needs to be enabled on the URP asset. Both blending and box projection are disabled by default. There are details about how to enable it through the UI in the PR description here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics/pull/3959

@StaggartCreations it looks like it should have been in a17 from the tag on the PR, but yeah, you might need to pull down and import the latest in the Graphics repo. 2021.2.0b1 should definitely have it.

@laurentlavigne we do not have a perf comparison for this to built-in at the moment.

9. MP-ul

MP-ul

I do not see anything , and is the latest alpha
    upload_2021-6-10_16-17-13.png

10. nigeljw_unity

nigeljw_unity

Unity Technologies

@Fenixake the tag on the PR was wrong (fixed now) so you'll need 2021.2.0b1 for this feature. Sorry about that confusion.

11. MP-ul

MP-ul

Is it available to download?.

12. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Could you run some now? there's been numerous regressions in the this version of unity and late catch is bad for us in production.
    PS: love those colors on your icon

13. MP-ul

MP-ul

14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

MP-ul likes this.
  15. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

b1 is available, options are there now!

upload_2021-6-21_14-38-13.png

16. Level3Manatee

Level3Manatee

Still doesn't seem to be working despite activating the options in settings and the respective reflection probes, or is that just me?

EDIT: Never mind, it was a shader issue apparently

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  17. MP-ul

MP-ul

Damn, Thanks!.

Aparently is broken, xD the box projection works but the blending is not right, something is wrong with it. Is like it blends all the probes you have with the environment one.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

is the probe blending really works in the latest released URP?
    upload_2021-6-22_15-34-7.png

It is enabled on the settings but it seems it doesn't do anything
    upload_2021-6-22_15-35-3.png

EDIT : Alright i think i finally starting to see the effect of it. and it seems the probe amount are very limited, like only 2 probe per object? even in deferred?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  19. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Yes, it's limited to 2 probes per objects in both rendering paths. I think this was also the case in the built-in RP?

upload_2021-6-22_10-32-30.png

20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

if i'm not mistaken in built in, with forward we can only get 2 probes. But in built in deferred we can get more than that basically as much as you can in deferred reflection

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UpgradeGuide52.html

21. MP-ul

MP-ul

22. Jebtor

Jebtor

Unity Technologies

Documentation explaining the blending behavior in URP will follow soon, apologies for the wait. There is a rather big backlog due to the big feature set for this URP release. Also the blending is limited to two probes for the time being. This is the same as is the case for forward in built-in. Built-in deferred allows for more probes. At the moment URP is not in control of the probe selection - it uses the selection from built-in forward. As soon as we move this to URP we can increase beyond two probes.

23. AydinDeveloper

AydinDeveloper

Can you add Probe Rotation Support? It would be one more reason for people to choose URP over BIRP. moreover, HDRP also made this perfect. No need for a detailed interface like HDRP. It is a property that should be able to return the probe. I edited the URP and added it myself. I just rotate on Y axis and I use Indensity (unity_SpecCube0_HDR) for this, but because I only rotate Box projection, Probe Weight is not calculated correctly as in the last image.

upload_2021-10-18_15-48-18.png

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Wow I expected in 2021, that URP would allow for a rotated box. It is just a matrix multiply after all which is very cheap.

JamesArndt and AydinDeveloper like this.
  25. nice2000

nice2000

wow in urp, this is perfect
    how you can did that? ( I mean rotate box projection in URP )

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    AydinDeveloper likes this.
  26. AydinDeveloper

AydinDeveloper

Wow, it's been 3 years. It's a pity that we still don't get this feature in urp. I don't remember exactly how I did it.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@14.0/manual/Rotate-About-Axis-Node.html

I added the Unity_RotateAboutAxis_Radians_float function to the place where URP does the reflection probe box projection. I used intensity for the rotation data (I almost never use intensity). it worked. It only rotated on the Y axis, but that was enough.

fuzzy3d likes this.