Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 - First Impressions

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by adamgolden, Oct 23, 2020.

1. adamgolden

adamgolden

I've just had my first night with 2021.1.0a2 (Windows 10). No crashes - countless times enter/exit play mode, building for multiple platforms, ..no issues at all except 1, which I'll mention at the end.

I noticed after upgrading to 2021 that a 2020.2 problem I had with audio in WebGL builds is resolved - for some reason (previously), a specific clip wouldn't play at all, even though it worked fine in the editor and the browser did play other audio that was exported from the same program (Audacity) and had the same import settings. It was a low priority for me to dig any further than I did - but now it's working perfectly!

I did find 1 bug - easy to reproduce in a new project (3D). Create GameObject. Add MeshRenderer. You can't change the Material unless you drag and drop one in (i.e. if you click the little target icon at the right of the reference in the Inspector, you can browse but not change the Material.. you have to drag one over to it from Project window).

LeonhardP likes this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @polemical,

Thanks for the feedback!

The issue should be fixed in a5: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1287270/

adamgolden likes this.
  3. adamgolden

adamgolden

I had forgotten about this until the upgrade to 0a8 and wanting to mention something else (below) - I just confirmed it has been fixed (probably since a5 as you mentioned).

0a8 performance of my WebGL build went up vs. 0a7. I did builds with both this morning, in 0a7 I was getting about 85fps and in 0a8 it's 95! That's obviously quite significant.. of course it's project specific so others might see a better or worse difference but for mine it's great. Whatever you guys are doing, keep it up :)

LeonhardP likes this.