Search Unity

Bug 2021.3.2f1 Unity player crashes when the user moves his mouse

Discussion in 'Windows' started by avivoren, Jul 29, 2022.

1. avivoren

avivoren

I get this report from few of my players and they have the same dmp log

upload_2022-7-29_20-3-13.png
    And when I try to run the dmp log with the symbols I get this error:
    Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFD47E1318F (UnityPlayer.dll) in crash (2).dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000000A6B0491DA0.

update: it only happens on windows 11 for players

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you send me the dump file? Any chance those people are on insider versions of Windows 11?

3. avivoren

avivoren

They say it happens on the main menu, when they move the mouse the game crashes.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qsjTTJud9WmRwQkJuFgpxlWrYPVfXr0v?usp=sharing

I included there 4 dump files from 4 separate users who all use windows 11, I am not sure what versions they use.
    They all said the game worked before the latest patch I did:
    - I did not switch unity version
    - I did not do anything that related to input
    - The update came with new art for the lobby screen but I don't see how it relates to the crash(no lightmap baked)

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Those dumps confirm my suspicion. All four of them are from Windows build 10.0.25163, which is the latest Windows 11 insider preview. It seems that build of windows introduced an issue that causes raw input to misbehave, resulting in crashes. We noticed this on Wednesday and I reported it to Microsoft yesterday noting that this is a critical bug for us. I've seen other reports on the internet that this bug affects multiple games, not just ones made in Unity.

Unfortunately the only workaround I can suggest for those people right now is to downgrade to a non-insider version of Windows. I'll post in this thread when I know more.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  5. avivoren

avivoren

Awesome thank you! Waiting for an update.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

For reference, the issue is tracked as "VSO ID 40670067" on Microsoft's side.

7. GEOMETRICBYTES

GEOMETRICBYTES

Unity Editor crash, fixed in today's build 25174.

leshem_unity and Valdarix like this.
  8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I actually just heard from Microsoft earlier today and they acknowledged the bug and said they were fixing. I don't know for sure if it was fixed in build 25174 but awesome if it is :).

9. toosterr

toosterr

updating to 25174 lets see what happen. My game jam is on the line lol

10. toosterr

toosterr

updating to 25174 fixed the issue

11. GEOMETRICBYTES

GEOMETRICBYTES

Hi, I want to inform you about a problem I had with the latest Insider build of W11, 25188. I had to go back to the old one, to 25182, because with the new one, Unity was hanging with an error regarding the GUI. I wouldn't know how to explain it from a technical point of view, but for example, when I selected to change the shader of a material, or clicked on the circle that allows you to choose textures, to name a few, an error would appear regarding the windows GUI and everything would stop to function. In fact, after this, you couldn't even choose any option from the menus and all you had to do was exit Unity by clicking the X to close. I don't know if this is just me, but I wanted to let you know and I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific. Is that in desperation of not being able to use Unity, I immediately reverted to the previous build, and did not take good note of the problem. I hope to be of use. Thanks and regards.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  12. JariHuomo

JariHuomo

Thank you, you saved my day. Unity Editor 2021.3.8 was totally unstable with the most recent Windows Insider build.

Reverting to 25182 fixed the problem.

GEOMETRICBYTES likes this.
  13. GEOMETRICBYTES

GEOMETRICBYTES

Today the new build comes out, hopefully they have solved this problem.