Search Unity

Bug 2021.3.18f1 Particle related Hang/Crash on Windows IL2CPP build

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by KaiMiraGames, Feb 12, 2023.

1. KaiMiraGames

KaiMiraGames

Hi -

One of the testers on my team can faithfully reproduce a crash in one of our builds that I cannot. Unfortunately, the nature of the crash is that it simply hangs (and appears to go into an infinite/recursive loop) and goes 100% CPU and increases memory until the user kills the process. The log files indicate no issues - they just happily log the last thing that happened in game (and my logging is fairly verbose).

I cannot reproduce this on my development instance.

We've tried a lot of different things on his end - reinstalling/updating graphics drivers, reboots, etc.

What's alleviated the problem a bit is disabling a certain particle effect for his user account (it's multiplayer, so I can set some flags on the server for his user). This isn't a great solution, though, and it's likely that if he's experiencing it, other users might be as well (and we launch pretty soon to Steam EA). I'm not really sure where to go from here and how to debug this.

I'm using the UIParticle library by mob-sakai (https://github.com/mob-sakai/ParticleEffectForUGUI). I'm happy to provide the prefabs and/or code in this area. A minimum-reproducible-project of the bug might be a bit harder, unfortunately.

Looking for guidance! Thanks in advance.

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

This is the 2D forum but the particle system isn't a 2D feature. I'll move your post to general graphics. You also might be best adding a "particles" tag so a particle dev might see it.

KaiMiraGames likes this.