Search Unity

Bug 2021.2.6 Player Very Slow Compared to 2021.1.25 (VR)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Charlicopter, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

I just migrated my project from 2021.1.25 => 2021.2.6 and there is some kind of major performance degradation that seems tied to something outside the project itself, something to do with the player.
    My project is VR, so it's performance sensitive... 2021.1.25 runs fine on my machine @ 144hz, supersampled, 8x MSAA, while 2021.2.6 is running terribly. It's very "hitchy", dropping to reprojection/dropping frames, even if I reduce the framerate to 90hz.

The degraded performance persists in the Editor, and in Debug and non-Debug builds.

What could've changed between these two versions that might cause this? Is there some setting that could have changed during the update process? Is it a bug?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  2. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

Problem is persisting. I downgraded to 2021.1.25 to resume work and it was running perfectly.
    Just tried 2021.2.7 and am experiencing the same degradation in performance.

Anyone else?

3. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

This might be worth a bug report via Help > Report a Bug, but it likely requires the project. If you could profile the before and after and load those profiles into Profile Analyzer, it might become more obvious what changed and may make reproducing and fixing it easier.

4. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

Dang. Unfortunately, Addressables is corrupting files during build and I can't get the game to run, so no profiling.
    How do I strip the project to send to Unity for analysis? At first glance, it seems like it would take DAYS to get it into that state...Like, it still has to run, but I don't want to send the entire codebase & assets, right?

5. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

The bug reporter will fail if the project is too big but you can try it at any size, I'm not sure where the threshold is. Being able to make a build and profile that will probably be important in finding and fixing the regression.

Any ways, I mostly stepped in here because you seem to be stuck on an unsupported Tech release due to this, no one else responded and it didn't get better for a couple of releases, which means there is a chance this regression isn't known.
    (A forum thread alone doesn't mean we really know about it, especially since it could be any number of factors at play and forum threads veeery seldomly offer enough detail to be able to act on it, much less properly track their resolution and always run the risk of being overlooked as there is no process around them.)

So there's a chance your currently waiting in vain as no one else hit your specific problem, or noticed it, but such regressions should still not happen and instead get fixed.

Charlicopter likes this.
  6. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

Thanks for this feedback. I've recently run the project on several other machines and the problem does not present itself in those cases. It must be hardware-dependent, so I have doubts that Unity will be able to reproduce the issue, unfortunately.
    I gutted the project and ran it with an empty scene and the problem persists.
    I have a hunch that it's OpenXR 1.3.1, but that's just random speculation.