Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug 2021.2.0a21 - Unable to open active custom EditorTool inspector window

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by Lechuza, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Lechuza

Lechuza

Can't seem to find a way to open a custom EditorTool inspector window as before, to be able to change serialized fields defined in them. Before I was able to do it by going to Window->General-> Active Tool, but now it's no longer there and can't seem to find an option anywhere else.

Is this due to a planned changed regarding EditorTools? If so, what will the workflow be? Anywhere I can get more information on it? Or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance,

2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

This window content has been moved into an Overlay in the Scene View, under the same name.

3. Lechuza

Lechuza

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean the "Component Tools" overlay? That would only show you the tools available for the selected component, but not the tool inspector window itself.

This is what I mean (on 2021.1)
    upload_2021-6-17_15-40-56.png

Now in 2021.2 I am able to see the bottom "tools" window with the available tools, but can't find a way to show the inspector window for the active tool, so to be able to modify its serialized properties.
    I can always implement a custom editor window and get things from there, but this was faster and easier.

4. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

My mistake, it's listed as "Tool Settings" in the Overlay menu.

Lechuza likes this.
  5. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

I think what's being mentioned here is the Editor Component Tools Panel. That's missing in 2021.2 a21, the little panel you used to get at the bottom right of the scene view. Tool Settings only contain gizmo pivot controls.

With this missing, you can't do certain things. The Animation Rigging Package exclusively depends on it to add Gizmos/Effectors to rigs. Now you can't do that because it's not displayed anymore.

Before
    upload_2021-6-18_4-42-38.png

2021.2 a21 (None of the overlay panels show this anymore) You get the panel to the right but it doesn't show or do anything.
    upload_2021-6-18_4-44-6.png

6. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

The contents of this overlay are dynamic, so if you don't have anything in your selection that has a tool there won't be anything in the overlay.

In the next beta this overlay has been removed, and component tools are now a part of the regular tools tooolbar.

component-tools.gif

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Seems Animation rigging isn't integrated in a way that would use/Transition to the Overlay System. I submitted a bug report on it. There was something else I found but I forgot what it was before I got around to writing the report. When I find it again I'll submit a report for it as well.

LeonhardP likes this.