Search Unity

Official 2020 Roadmap Q&A | Part 2 - Live Games

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by AskCarol, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AskCarol

AskCarol

there-is-more.jpg

We published Part 2 of the Roadmap Session on Live Games on Wednesday, April 1st at 9am PT.

You can watch the talk here.

Together with this Roadmap Session we are also hosting a Q&A here in this thread to answer as many of your questions as possible. Topics we will be fielding questions on are based on the topics of the roadmap, but feel free to ask anything about Live Games:

• DeltaDNA
    • Content delivery
    • Gametune

A team of product experts from across Unity will be available starting Wednesday, April 1st. Our Community team will continue to field questions for the next three days to foster an ongoing discussion with the community. Please feel free to ask your questions in this thread.

Some basic rules

• The thread will open up for questions immediately following the Roadmap Session on Aprill 1st, 9am Pacific Time and remain open for questions for 3 days.

• Don’t bundle multiple unrelated questions in one reply. One question/topic per reply.

• Only questions related to the topics of the roadmap session are permitted.

• All questions will enter a moderation queue and be fielded by our Community Managers (@LeonhardP and @AskCarol)
      • Replies will have to be approved by the moderators to show up in the thread.

• Once approved, the questions will be forwarded to the relevant experts.

If you missed the first part of the 2020 Roadmap Session, Unity 2020: Core Engine & Creator Tools Roadmap, you can watch the session back here: https://on.unity.com/2xru0zq
    You can find the Q&A session in this forum thread.

We really look forward to hearing from the community.
    Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020
  2. GerardSimpson

GerardSimpson

What is the current state of the new Unity connected games networking solution? When can we expect an update? When can we expect a release?

Answer:

ModLunar, AskCarol, fherbst and 7 others like this.
  3. Novack

Novack

Asked on the previous QA thread and nobody answered: no words for CiliConnect?

Answer:

Jawsarn likes this.
  4. PhilSA

PhilSA

Judging by the live chat during the talk, I think many of us were very disappointed to see that this talk was all about analytics stuff (something that really isn't a problem right now) and not Netcode (something that really is a problem right now)

Could we hear more about:
    • NetCode roadmap in general
    • The open world Netcode shooter game mentioned last week
      • is it a sample or a real game?
      • What is the scope?
      • How long will it be maintained?
      • Will it be released publicly?
      • Will you guys host a few public servers so we can stress test it?
    Answer:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  5. Kamyker

Kamyker

I'm also disappointed. All live game have to be created before fine-tuning them.

Last roadmap video:

Could we get 3rd roadmap video or at least blog post? Preferably real roadmap with expected deadlines:

6. Kamyker

Kamyker

How cost-effective content delivery will be?

Currently best options are:
    - Backblaze ( 0.004$ per 10k requests, 0.01$ per GB bandwidth, no cdn included )
    - DigitalOcean Spaces ( 5$ for free requests, 1TB bandwidth then 0.1$ per GB bandwidth, free cdn )

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  7. ClaireD-Unity

ClaireD-Unity

Unity Technologies

We are waiting until our GA later this quarter to provide specifics on pricing but we can say the following:
    • Our solution provides storage and CDN capabilities (along with a lot more) that is specifically designed for 2D/3D content developers, so the comparison isn’t totally apples-to-apples with the products listed above;
    • Our focus is on global delivery without the headache of monitoring and setting up your hosting and delivery, so our pricing will be flat globally with a focus on simplicity. We’ll also have volume-based discounts.

8. sylvialam

sylvialam

We're working on deeper integration of ChilliConnect products with Unity products, focusing on the huge value of easy set-up ChilliConnect has. You can still use ChilliConnect, we will keep sharing as we get products closer together to an even stronger offering.

Novack and AskCarol like this.
  9. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

Hi Gerard.

Thanks for your question.We understand it is taking us longer than desired to solve this need.

We want to make sure that we build the best solution for our users. It is a complex undertaking, and we strive to build and validate together with our internal productions and our users to ensure that we deliver a quality solution that can scale with our users needs.

Since we published the DOTS Sample, we have listened to user feedback and we are now creating a simpler setup than was initially previewed. We have also made significant changes to the Unity headless application to provide better control for running as a server. Additionally, the DOTS server runtime has matured to where we will soon start providing more in-depth updates and previews.

Last week, we provided a high level overview of where we are and where we are going. There are still many moving parts that make it difficult for us to predict the release date. We are committed to delivering a networking solution and will provide an update as soon as we can.

pal_trefall, AskCarol and PhilSA like this.
  10. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

Hello Philippe,

I hope you are doing well.

We do agree that NetCode is a very important topic. I completely understand that it can be frustrating that we don’t have more to share right now. In order for us to provide more information where we can, I do encourage you to post any specific questions you may have here.

We will provide more detailed information about the open world project in the Core Roadmap forum thread, there have been a few questions regarding the project, and we want to get the answers right. Stay tuned in that thread, I will put your questions on the list of items we will try to cover.

pal_trefall, AskCarol and PhilSA like this.
  11. JoNax97

JoNax97

In the March 19 "State of Unity" blog post you said toady's talk would be about Multiplayer & Live Games. The multiplayer part has since been removed. May I ask what led you to decide not to give an update on what is, without a doubt, the biggest gaping hole in the whole engine?

I'm sorry if I'm being harsh or disrespectful, and I want to give props to the Live games teams: I'm not bashing your work. It's just that it feels weird and unprofessional to sweep the multiplayer update under the rug.

Also, I'm sorry but that talk was barely a roadmap. 80% of it is straight advertisement. And that's fine. You have your products and you have to sell them. Cool. But don't announce it in the same way you announced last week's roadmap. For people that already know/use your "live game" services, this 17 minute video gave almost no useful insights about your future plans.

It's baffling to see this dud right after last week. You did things well, you received due praise, and now this?... sigh Classic Unity I guess.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Prodigga, ModLunar, Jawsarn and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.