Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2020 Roadmap Q&A - Core Engine & Creator Tools

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Yes! It's in active development and working well so far. Can't provide a whole lot of detail, but expect to hear news about it in the near(-ish) term!

Blarp, MattMurch and AskCarol like this.
  2. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

Thank you for the suggestion! Our goal is to make artist-friendly, performant systems that scale well - we’ll go into specifics when we’re closer to release. Right now our focus is on nailing our MVP and getting out a good initial experience.

valarnur and AskCarol like this.
  3. petero_unity

petero_unity

Head of Asset Store Unity Technologies

Hi
    We are planning to update the publishing flow and and publishing portal this year. Currently in design phase.

elmar1028 likes this.
  4. Livealot

Livealot

Thanks for going virtual on my favorite session from GDC or Unite. It's always great to hear the latest summary.

A suggestion, it would be great to use the same format to have each verified package (e.g., Unity IAP, Shader Graph) provide a more detailed update related to that package. It would be nice to know the roadmap for fixes and new features at a level of detail below what can be provided in a high-level summary.

For example, the Unity IAP feature set came a long way this year, but still has unshippable bugs with no end in sight. It would be good to see both the progress and the visibility on what to expect in the future.

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020
  5. N1warhead

N1warhead

The only question I have is (perhaps it's been asked already), is when is HDRP going to get support for Terrain Grass?
    All the other terrain stuff is not that important to me, people can say layer systems and stuff all day long, but I don't really know what that means in terms of when grass will be supported, and why such a basic feature isn't at least supported with proper shaders. Apparently at one point you could make a shadergraph shader to make it supported but that appears to no longer work.

EDIT: This isn't a complaint. I'm just really wanting to know when grass will maybe be available as my game is for outside and much needed.

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
    AskCarol, Rowlan and valarnur like this.
  6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

What are the plans regarding render pipeline conversion or merging?

Answer:

valarnur and AskCarol like this.
  7. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

We can't really give a timeline for what you see in those mock ups. They illustrate different area of improvements, some of them could release in 2021, others at a later time. We'll share here as we have updates.

8. AskCarol

AskCarol

We have evaluated several options on how to best reach our stability, performance and scalability goals for the future of the product. In taking an honest assessment of our roadmap, it has become clear that leveraging proven backend solutions such as Plastic SCM, Perforce, and GitHub is more likely to succeed at reaching those goals within a reasonable time frame. The Collab backend as it exists today will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future while we are working on a new solution.You can reach out to us via these forums or at collabsupport@unity3d.com if you and your team need assistance in the meantime.Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to sharing our plans with you in the near future.

See further here.

spryx likes this.
  9. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

This is all being considered at the moment. We do allow subgraphs and other means of encapsulation but we also got feedback from several users (notably level designers) that they need to have parallel flow on the same graph, which makes a lot of sense for the kind of puzzle/gameplay scripts they do. We are trying to make a flexible solution to serve the most users possible and having two possible orientations is an option.

TextusGames likes this.
  10. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

AskCarol likes this.
  11. frarf

frarf

Great roadmap! I especially appreciate all the workflow improvements, with splines in particular. I'm really happy...

Are splines targeted for 2020.2 or is it a 2021+ feature?

Answer:

Any news on MeshSync from Unity Japan? It's really great but its development status is unclear. Will it be migrated to an "official" package at some point?

When will we be able to do multipass shaders in ShaderGraph? Like for a cel shader plus an outline. Or at least Render Objects passes in URP per shader instead of per material.

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  12. Emily_Diehl

Emily_Diehl

Unity Technologies

Hi thx2013! We are treating both the Linux editor and Linux standalone player with the same care as our other supported platforms, and are working hard this year to make them better with every release. We are planning to bring the Linux editor out of preview as soon as we are confident we have achieved the quality bar we expect from our editor on other platforms.

13. cultureulterior

cultureulterior

First I just want to say how much I appreciate DOTS and how much easier it is to write in. Thank you for that. My question is about procedural generation workflows across the editor & apis - are there any plans around better support for procedural generation in general?

Answer:

transat and TerraUnity like this.
  14. Ibuprogames

Ibuprogames

upload_2020-3-25_23-8-49.png

Any approximate release date for (final) custom postprocessing in URP? Many of my assets in the store are PP and many users are asking me when they will support URP.

Thanks.

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  15. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

HDRP is the rendering pipeline to use if you are pushing for the highest fidelity on high-end platforms (Xbox One, PS5, PC, and future hardware). The Universal Render Pipeline (URP) is what you should use if you want to develop once and achieve the best visual quality that scales well across a wide range of platforms. They will continue to be separate so they can best play to their strengths. We are working on making it easier to use both and especially for artists - currently in progress is work in Shader Graph that will let you author shaders that work well on both.

16. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

Thanks for your feedback, we have nothing new on this today. You can check out the talk we did a while ago while working on a prototype for the technique:

And we do hope you’ll check out our current implementation of ray tracing we recently did a blog post on it you can check out: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/03/0...line-real-time-ray-tracing-is-now-in-preview/

AskCarol, laurentlavigne and valarnur like this.
  17. Ivan_br

Ivan_br

First of all, great talk.

Concerning Audio and Video.

upload_2020-3-25_15-55-19.png

Could you provide more detail on:

1. Is there a plan to be able to export audio and video in different formats that what is currently available? If so, any ETA?
    2. Any plan for exporting video using different user-defined compression rates?
    3. If I manually manipulate (in the editor) game objects and their properties (animation triggers, object transform, etc.) during a video recording, is there a way to also record/export these manual steps and re-import it back into Unity so it would be possible to further tweak these in-editor manipulations and export another video based on new tweaks to these in-editor manipulations?
    4. Can you expand more on the chromakeying properties that will be coming? Will the chromakey algorithm be open to code customization? Any ETA on this?

Thank you

Answer:

SisMoon and AskCarol like this.
  18. Novack

Novack

For those of us working on the field, but with scarse time to focus or research every new thing announced (and how it interacts with the rest), it was starting to feel like a huge unbearable mess. To make it worst, once the ship sailed for any feature, it later becomes harder and harder to keep tabs on whats going on.

On that regard, the roadmap video helped great deal to understand the situation of the Unity ecosystem as a whole, and the direction is going.

Are there any plans to have this sort of presentations more often? Video, blog, whatever can describe the evolution of the overall ecosystem, and put every new feature or interaction into context. Would be incredible helpful.

Answer:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    TerraUnity and AskCarol like this.
  19. Novack

Novack

In "Reaching your audience", maybe on "Connected Games", I was expecting to see something related to the role or direction of ChilliConnect. Its quite relevant as the current BaaS scene offers few and mostly rigid options for games, and CC looks more and more attractive.

Is there anything you can elaborate on what to expect on that front? On some aspects CC also overlaps with DeltaDNA, so any insight would be helpful at the time of deciding direction for new projects.

Thanks!

jGate99 and AskCarol like this.
  20. Ivan_br

Ivan_br

Concerning Audio and Video and XR Platforms is there any plan on combining video exporting with basic AR/MR features that only require a camera and no need for a phone (i.e. marker tracking) to create VFX/Post-processing videos directly from Unity?

This would also go well with Project Mars.

Basically I want to use basic AR features (marker tracking) available on phones, through the AR Foundation, in the Unity Editor to be able to create real-time VFX content on a film production scale (large professional cameras).

Background

I work with using augmented reality in Unity to create real-time VFX content, without post-processing on normal 3D software (houdini, maya, etc.), by adding virtual objects to a video (from a live camera) of the real world by using AR markers. I then export this video using Unity's Recorder (https://unitytech.github.io/unity-recorder/manual/index.html).

There are various ways of combining video with virtual objects in the Unity editor, for example using AR sdks such as Vuforia, ARToolkit, wikitude, etc. with AR markers, and using a camera (be it a webcam or professional) to provide the incoming video. The problem is that these sdks each have their pros and cons, and I believe Unity's AR Foundation is better than they are today.

With the ARCore/Kit and Unity's AR Foundation, AR is possible but there is a need to use a compatible phone and a dedicated software made for the mobile device, so outside of the Unity editor. The problem with creating this AR authoring software on the phone is that you loose all of the features and qualities the Unity editor already offers (library, 3D model manipulation, compatibility with different input interfaces (gamepad, kinect, leap motion, intel realsense, VR controllers, etc.), video recording, computer rendering and processing power, etc.).

Question

Since Unity is trying to abstract AR functions (not having to use specific functions from specific AR sdks) with AR Foundation, I am wondering if there are any plans to use functions from AR Foundation inside the Unity editor for cases where just a camera is enough (for instance image processing to detect markers and use this information for virtual object placement and interaction)? In this case there isn't a need to use all of the sensors a phone would offer, which are required for other features that AR foundation offers.

Current Cumbersome Workaround

Especially for film production using large professional cameras, using ARCore/Kit is possible but the workaround needed is a large limiting factor. One would need to fixate the camera and the phone together using some rigid structure, calibrate the phone viewing frustum with that of the camera's, send from the phone to the computer (unity editor) the data from the phone (position, marker tracked, rotation, etc.), and then combine that information with the video from the camera and the virtual objects. You would also need to be running the Unity recorder at the same time with all of this.

Benefit

This would be a very important feature for those working in the film industry that use Unity for things like real-time VFX, previz, and Virtual Production.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2020
    AskCarol likes this.
  21. Ivan_br

Ivan_br

Concerning XR Platforms is there any update on using OpenXR to be able to create crossplatform content for both android based VR devices (Oculus Quest) and PC based devices (Valve Index/HTC Vive)? Or is the idea of the XR SDK to be used for this purpose?

Thank you

Answer:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    AskCarol likes this.
  22. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

I asked this question before in specific forums but is there a editor version target for 2D Renderer (with optimized lights, shadows and RenderFeatures) ? This is utmost important thing for me in this recent developments and as far as I can tell, for many others, too.

Answer:

rustum and AskCarol like this.
  23. Sarkahn

Sarkahn

For Hybrid Renderer v2 you only mentioned dynamic entities - is it or will it be possible to specify an entity created at runtime as "static" to possibly improve renderer performance in that case?

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  24. optimise

optimise

What is the ETA of URP mobile device support for DOTS Animation? I heard there will be a URP experimental around the date of GDC but until now I didn't see it yet.

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  25. Ivan_br

Ivan_br

Regarding Audio and Video, is there any plan to be able to scrub a video playback on a frame by frame basis? There used to be some information on the documents on this (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Video.VideoPlayer.html) but it didn't work. For instance being able to go forward/back x amount of frames or go to frame x on a videoplayback.

Thank you

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
    LostPanda and AskCarol like this.
  26. optimise

optimise

Is there any serious work going on to optimize mobile platform for DOTS tech (not Project Tiny) in term of providing rock solid 60 fps with high quality URP mobile optimized graphics quality, rich multiple units simulation and better mobile realtime mutiplayer Netcode? Currently what I see most of the focus is on high end platform.

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2020
  27. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, I made a long post about Loading Addressables into Editor but it got deleted.
    Here is a short version.

Loading Addressable into Editor is essential for my workflow to scale-out project size.
    Will you please support it as read-only Editor asset?
    Thanks.

TerraUnity likes this.
  28. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

That's right, our XR SDK makes it easier to enable open standards such as OpenXR. We remain supportive of OpenXR and are actively involved in the development of that standard. But at this time, we don’t have a concrete release plan on how we intend to support it. We will keep you posted once we have more details to share.

Ivan_br and AskCarol like this.
  29. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

Hi @timhogan123,
    Yes there will be! We are refining what the support will be for the different use-cases and we will share our plans when we have an update. Thank you for sharing how it would be useful for you. This definitely helps inform our planning.

30. masak

masak

What is Character Controller in physics?
    Is is a replacement of legacy character controller component?

Any plan to call Physics.update manually?
    I think that a combination of Update and FixedUpdate makes making games difficult.

Answer:

TerraUnity, rustum and AskCarol like this.
  31. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

No firm dates, it is currently being worked on. We did add back in support for PPv2 as option (forum thread), also on that thread Elvar mentioned he's hoping to land it with our 7.4 release but, with the current situation this might slip.

Universal RP also has a public roadmap you can check out, there you can vote on things and see what's currently in progress.

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

When can we expect gltf support in Unity from Unity, i. e. no 3rd party?

Answer:

AskCarol, TerraUnity and valarnur like this.
  33. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

Hi @yigitkahramn!
    We have not yet specified an editor version for the final version of the 2D Renderer as the features are still being refined for performance and workflows. However, it is important to emphasise that this is the top priority for the 2D graphics team and you can join the discussion here. We will also announce it clearly in the main 2D forum when the work is complete.

MrPaparoz likes this.
  34. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This feature depends on upgrading Mono to the latest version, which is in progress, but will not be completed for the 2020.x release cycle. We hope to have more details to share with you later this year, once we have a better idea of when we will ship the Mono upgrade.

35. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

When will XR Interaction toolkit be out of preview? or even its next release date?

Answer:

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  36. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

We aim to remove the experimental label for disabling domain and scene reloading when entering playmode for Unity 2020.2 and thereby also settling on the behavior for it. I currently find it unlikely that we will make major additional changes to the behavior in 2020.1 and 2019.3.

valarnur and TextusGames like this.
  37. Hazsha

Hazsha

What is the meaning of Art Engine integration with Unity? Is it available as a package inside Unity Editor or it's available as a software outside the Unity engine?
    Why unity not support build for FB instant game?
    Project tiny is support for FB instant game development?

Answer:

38. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

No. This is a deliberate design choice to keep the feature as fast as possible.

39. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

With regards to Terrain, there's a lot of understandable focus on making it easy to create things for artists, but what's the runtime modification looking like? We allow our users to start forest fires and need to be able to change huge areas without losing performance. With the current system and API this is a huge pain.

Answer:

AskCarol and TerraUnity like this.
  40. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Regarding "major focus is a large open-world shooter".

upload_2020-3-26_8-25-33.png

Is this something you plan to release on PC/Xbox/PlayStation/Switch and if you don't, why?

I'm asking because to me it seems Unity Technologies often just scratch the surface when it comes to create projects that show off new stuff.

Going deeper than tutorial-like complexity often reveals unstable behavior, missing functionality and poor performance for real-world usage. In my experience at least.

If you'd release the "large open-world shooter" as an actual fully fledged game on all major platforms, you'd have to go through all the pain we are confronted with every day.

You'll experience many things we fight with, beyond just showing off new tech, and thus have the opportunity to fix and improve these areas on-side, without having to rely solely on user bug-reports.

Answer:

41. runevision

runevision

About Prefab Mode in Context (Unity 2020.1). We don't expect much is needed in terms of changing tooling since the change is almost purely visual. However it's always hard for us to predict the multitudes of unexpected ways people customize Unity so please get the beta of 2020.1 and verify for yourself and post your feedback in this thread. Your chance to affect the API is NOW while it's in beta, while the opportunities for changing it after release are much more limited.

About Encapsulated Prefabs: This is in early development. For Prefabs Assets that you opt in to mark encapsulated, this will affect instances of those Prefabs with regard to which GameObjects are shown in the Hierarchy, which components are shown in the Inspector, and which properties overrides are allowed on. Furthermore it won't be possible to apply overrides on instances of encapsulated Prefabs back to the Asset. There will be API to check if a Prefab is encapsulated. The encapsulation feature is intended for people who have been requesting more strict control over how Prefab Assets are modified, and restrictions over what modifications can be made to instances. People who have no need for these restrictions can refrain from using it.

About new ways to open Scenes, Prefabs, and other assets independently of one another as part of a new multi-document workflow: Perhaps Will can answer this or get the question to the right people.

42. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Thanks to all at Unity for preparing this really well-made roadmap presentation. And there are a lot of great features up ahead. Really exciting. Kudos!

I personally have tried multiple alphas of 2020.1 and then switched to the beta but had to realize, that in contrast to the alphas, the native VR support is gone and everything has to go now through the XR plugins.

While I fully buy into the strategy, I have the feeling this is prematurely, potentially causing more harm than benefit.

• Reading through the forums there seem to still be issues with the plugins or missing feature parity in some cases
    • The Steam/Vive plugin is missing completely, which will mean there is probably not a lot of time for testing and feedback with users
    • Many developers (like me) are still on VRTK 3.3 which will mean significant rework, which basically is a blocker to go to 2020.1 (the only one by the way for me).
    • Migrating to VRTK 4 does not really seem beneficial with the XR toolkit on the horizon, it is very premature though at this point in time. The escape room demo has many custom/hard coded parts which I would have expected in such a toolkit natively, like buttons, drawers, radials, levers, doors etc.
    For me the best time to cut off the native plugins is once there is a really good coverage by users who utilize (all) of them and the XR interaction framework is available. That I suspect is in 2020.3. I think especially for quality it makes sense to have one more release.

I'd really vote to push back the deprecation to this version.

43. ollyhell

ollyhell

Unity Technologies

Hi Herman,

The docs for HDRP and URP are available now and linked from the main manual page on render pipelines:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/render-pipelines.html

But here's the direct links too (you can always get the docs for a specific package version by following the link from within Package Manager)
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@latest
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@latest

Were you aware of these docs or was your question about updates to these?
    HDRP and URP are important features and high on our priorities list so we aim to improve and keep these up to date.

We recently added the Feedback feature to package docs too so please feel free to give feedback directly via the rating and report a problem links at the bottom of every page.

Thanks for the question.

Best,
    Olly

44. ely_unity_artengine

ely_unity_artengine

Unity Technologies

Hi Gurayg,

Thanks for your question. At the moment, ArtEngine is an external software package that is currently only available for larger AAA studios and enterprise customers. We're working on various ways we can integrate it with Unity and to make it more accessible to the wider Unity audience. Our short-term goal is to make sure ArtEngine supports creating the texture maps in the right formats for use in Unity and that we have an easy export to Unity process that will take the full PBR materials in ArtEngine and import them directly into the Unity Editor ready to go.

We’re also looking into a tighter integration such as roundtripping and also investigating what it would take to run ArtEngine inside Unity. But we are still investigating this and will come back with more info when we have it.

Hope this answers your question, but let us know if you have any additional quesitons on this point.

45. Andrew_Bowell

Andrew_Bowell

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. We recognize and have heard you and the community on the state of things. For example how hard it is to know exactly the current state of a package and a package's roadmap, how it fits into the overall context. As mentioned above we have a number of things we are doing to help with this. One is around how we manage the lifecycle of packages. Some of the principles we'd like to adhere to moving forward are around a more explicit set of expectations between package team and user(s) once a package becomes public. Those expectations will come with standards around having a clear roadmap, docs, support etc. We are in the planning process, but this the sort of direction we are going.

On the broader roadmap, right now we roll out two big updates a year: GDC & Unite. This time we tweaked the format to spend more time on providing context/narrative around why a package exists, and what role it plays in the bigger strategy. I don't see us doing more than two big updates a year. But we'll take your feedback on board and see if we can also bring this sort of context to more regular blog posts.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Novack likes this.
  46. Andrew_Bowell

Andrew_Bowell

Unity Technologies

Hey - you are very welcome! We really enjoyed going online with this and hope it reached a bigger day 1 audience than normal. Also, thanks for the feedback. I agree that verified packages should have clear roadmaps of their own. It should also be easy to navigate to these, either from the package contents or online. We are in the process of revamping our public roadmap site and organising around packages was one approach we are evaluating. I can't speak directly to the issues you have with IAP but I have shared this post with the team. Please do continue to report the bugs you find and we'll aim to bash those down.

JayR and Livealot like this.
  47. Anthelmed

Anthelmed

It's not mentioned in the roadmap, but are the UIToolkit and more specially UCSS going to contain any media query / responsive properties in the future?

Answer:

48. makaka-org

makaka-org

What about Video/Audio Recording for Runtime (not only Editor Tool), especially for Mobiles/AR? Community needs a more flexible tool than Apple Replay Kit, Google Play Services. E.g., if FPS is low, and we record Video & Audio from Mic then there is a delay: mic track has normal speed, video is delayed.

Answer:

49. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Anthelmed,

We're planning to increase the amount of CSS properties we support in USS during the next year, and Media Query is certainly amongst them.

Thanks for your feedback!

50. sinjinn

sinjinn

It says you improvements to Probuilder are in development. What kind of things are you working on?

Answer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.