Search Unity

Official 2020 Roadmap Q&A - Core Engine & Creator Tools

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

we-heard-you.jpg

This thread now closed for further questions

Thanks everyone for all of the amazing questions you asked over the course of the past three days. Our team really enjoyed getting your honest feedback and we hope this type of open dialogue will be the start of many more.

If your question has been approved, we will do our best to still answer them over the next few days. Please give our experts some time to get to all of them (over 120 questions!).

Remember that Part 2 of the Roadmap Session on Live Games is next Wednesday, April 1st at 9am PT.

-------------------------

We just hosted our first 2020 Roadmap Session, Unity 2020: Core Engine & Creator Tools Roadmap!

If you missed it, you can watch the session back here: https://on.unity.com/2xru0zq

Alternatively you can check out the full slidedeck used in this session here: https://www.slideshare.net/unity3d/unity-roadmap-2020- core-engine-creator-tools

You can also subscribe to our YouTube channel to be notified about any future video releases from us: https://www.youtube.com/user/Unity3D

Together with this Roadmap Session we are also hosting a Q&A here in this thread to answer as many of your questions as possible. Topics we will be fielding questions on are based on the topics of the roadmap:

• Reliability & Performance

• Creative Workflows

• Scalable Quality

• Reaching Your Audience

A team of product experts from across Unity will be available starting Wednesday. Our Community team will continue to field questions for the next three days to foster an ongoing discussion with the community. Please feel free to ask your questions in this thread.

Some basic rules

• The thread will open up for questions immediately following the Roadmap Session on March 25th, 9am Pacific Time and remain open for questions for 3 days.

• Don’t bundle multiple unrelated questions in one reply. One question/topic per reply.

• Only questions related to the topics of the roadmap session are permitted.

• All questions will enter a moderation queue and be fielded by our Community Managers (@LeonhardP and @AskCarol)
      • Replies will have to be approved by the moderators to show up in the thread.

• Once approved, the questions will be forwarded to the relevant experts.

We really look forward to hearing from the community.
    Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Win3xploder

Win3xploder

When will Speedtree Import for HDRP be supported?

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2020
    MaxWitsch, Caspor, TerraUnity and 4 others like this.
  3. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Do you have any plans on upgrading Unity's Runtime (editor and player) to a newer one (.NET Core for example)?

Answer:

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

About Splines: When?
    Will they be backported to 2019 or are they 2020+?
    Which features will it have? Need rotation along the spline, move along the spline in distance steps, move in relative steps [0..1], etc
    Will they support various easing functions out of the box?
    Will splines be usable on terrain / environment system, e. g. to create roads, rivers etc?
    Will Unity make their own prefab placement along splines?
    Will snapping be supported while moving a spline point, so that one e. g. doesn't move a point below the terrain?
    Parallel splines along a base splines? (e. g. you have a center spline and one left and right offset by a certain distance)
    Catmull-Rom or Bezier?

This is most exciting!

Answer:

Ajasmm02, TerraUnity, Ofx360 and 7 others like this.
  5. _cinoS

_cinoS

Dark Mode for free?

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
    darkguy2008, Orimay, JesOb and 2 others like this.
  6. RedLogicP

RedLogicP

Is there an expected timeframe for the release of the visual coding solution?

Answer:

createtheimaginable likes this.
  7. foshe_5

foshe_5

Are we going to get on editor playtesting for AR foundation without building for mobile devices?

Answer:

8. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Is there an ECS out of preview date?

Answer:

Orimay and MattMurch like this.
  9. sinjinn

sinjinn

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks for the presentation.
    Once deferred rendering is added to URP, are you planning to add surface shader-like syntax in the future to make it easier to build multi-rendering path shaders using code?

Answer:

transat, TerraUnity, Le_Tai and 2 others like this.
  11. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

First of, I'm happy with the amount of attention given to acknowledging the problems with Unity atm. Makes me feel heard.

Secondly, a UIElements related question, there was a quick bit there about "screen space development for all platforms" being available. Does that mean the UIElements for Runtime package is now available in the 2020.1 beta?

Answer:

Orimay and MattMurch like this.
  12. optimise

optimise

Hi. I would like to ask what's the ETA of shipping avoid reload whole domain feature? It means each time when I change one line of code, it will not domain reload all the dlls of the packages from Package Manager. That's the feature I really I hope it can ship at Unity 2020 release cycle. Currently with more features introduce as packages it continuously slow down Editor further and further. It really needs this kind of feature to really solve this problem. From what I know last year, the feature has been working on but this year I didn't hear any new update yet.

Answer:

13. Johnny-Fuzz

Johnny-Fuzz

XR Foundation and Direct Support with external tools like MRTK.

I know the Microsoft MRTK plugin very well and in my opinion is one of the best XR toolkits out there - also given the recent work to open that up even more from the community - what my question is more so about is the roadmap and support for integrating these tools within Unity's XR Foundation service. Microsoft has a package manager plug-in for MRTK and I know going forward this will probably be more on Microsoft than Unity - just wanted to see what additional information could be provided in these circumstances.

Thanks,

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  14. andreicfsteaua

andreicfsteaua

Regarding creation workflows, atm there is no full DOTS scene control during playmode like the traditional hierarchy for OOP. For example, if I instantiate a prefab at runtime, I cannot modify it using the editor during playmode for testing. Are you developing such a functionality?

Answer:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2020
  15. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

In the roadmap they mentioned Precomputed Lighting for HDRP is released, but HDRP doesn't support precomputed lighting (Enlighten) for new projects only baked lighting from the Progressive Lightmapper.

upload_2020-3-25_12-58-56.png

Is there something that we are missing or that's an error?

Answer:

16. Aurelinator

Aurelinator

For those of us that develop Unity tools and extensions, knowing how things work is imperative. When Prefab Mode first came out, tons of tools and extensions were broken by the introduction of the new mode. It took a number of cycles to finally stabilize the Stages api and all that. Do you think you could go into more detail about what some of the prefab improvements mentioned in the Roadmap mean (at the coding level), like what'll it look like to detect if an asset is in one of the new modes? How should we as tool developers be preparing for changes to prefab structuring?

Answer:

17. chrisk

chrisk

A quick question, the Roadmap said Kinematica is in Preview but I don't find it anywhere.

Answer:

Orimay, TerraUnity, Ivan_br and 2 others like this.
  18. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

What is the plan for

1: Terrains
    2: Graphine's Granite / mega texturing.

Will mega texturing support height maps or only meshes? Will you be able to make custom mega / multi-tile UV textures instead of splat maps on terrain?

Answer:

LostPanda and TerraUnity like this.
  19. Jawsarn

Jawsarn

Working with DOTS tech of Physics, NetCode etc with debugging tools such as full stack traces and non burst code causes the editor to be very slow (around 10 fps), while built version runs very well. Are there any plans of improving the editor experience when using DOTS tech?

Answer:

Mikael-H, Orimay and AskCarol like this.
  20. Onigiri

Onigiri

Hi! Thank you for roadmap. Is it possible to use new environment system with custom meshes or it's working only with terrain? If i wanna paint textures or place grass on meshes will it work?

Answer:

Orimay likes this.
  21. CodeMonkeyYT

CodeMonkeyYT

I just want to say that the "Released", "Prerelease" and "In Development" is a great format!
    It's much easier to understand compared to "Verified", "Preview" and "Experimental"

Reply:

Mikael-H, Orimay, pal_trefall and 2 others like this.
  22. SideSwipe9th

SideSwipe9th

In Unity 2019.3, you released a preview for disabling domain and scene reloading when entering play mode in the Editor. Disabling domain reloading requires some additional code for static fields to be properly re-initialised when exiting and re-entering play mode. Unfortunately at present the experimental feature breaks a number of third party Asset store plugins because they use static fields in their code.

How set in stone is the RuntimeInitalizeOnLoad boilerplate? If an asset creator updates to enable support for the 2019.3 experimental feature, will that code still work in 2020.1 and later? Or is there plans to change that boilerplate? Or even eliminate it entirely?

I personally find the experimental feature of huge benefit. For one of the games I'm working on as part of a studio, entering play mode in the editor goes from taking between 40 and 60 seconds, to less than 4 with reloading disabled. Unfortunately it breaks at least one of the plugins we use, and the creators of at least one of them has expressed that they're not willing to update to enable support for this feature until they can be sure the boilerplate stuff is stabilised.

Answer:

TerraUnity likes this.
  23. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Roadmap stream mentioned this:
    As enthusiastic tester for various new Unity packages, this makes me really sad. I loved that Unity opened the development early on and this makes it sound like we are going back to the old direction again :(

I'd wish Unity would reconsider this, like, even making people fill out forms (so they understand it's experimental / or to have possible NDA) to get automatically in the experimental versions for thing x would be nice instead of just locking most out.

I do understand why this happened (there's a lot of people complaining about previews publicly) but this could be handled so that it wouldn't lock out people who actually understand the nature of earlier development stages.

Anyway since this is QA, I'm going to ask what are the requirements in getting approved to these focus groups?
    Also, is Unity planning to close access to already public github repositories like SRP, input system and ml-agents?

Answer:

cultureulterior, Timboc and m0nsky like this.
  24. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Is there somewhere we can follow along with the editor QoL improvement development? And/or know which QoL features are already in the queue to be added?

Ivan_br likes this.
  25. yahorkleban

yahorkleban

Hi! Thanks for the mini presentation!

I wonder if the VFX sample projects shown in this presentation are available somewhere to have a look? (like github or learn portal)

Cheers!

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  26. liam_unity628

liam_unity628

Will RenderPass API be supported for mobile VR (Quest specifically) in 2020.1 for custom SRPs?

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  27. Onigiri

Onigiri

Long time ago there were plans for new better roadmap page/site with up to date info. Is this in development or dropped?

Answer:

Orimay and Ivan_br like this.
  28. atranson

atranson

Concerning what's in development for the editor evolution (creative workflows section), you talked about multi-document workflow and contexts to edit assets independently of one another.

Does this mean that we will be able to create our own workspaces through editor scripts ? I had in mind something like the prefab editor which would allow to enter a specific workspace with its own "scene" view and windows when focusing assets or components of a given type.

Also, when do you think this kind of feature will be available to preview?

Answer:

29. VeganApps

VeganApps

Reaching Your Audience:
    Will you change the Asset Store share/split of 70% for the creator and 30% for Unity Tech., that creators can offer their assets for less money and reach a bigger audience?

Answer:

darkguy2008 likes this.
  30. Jawsarn

Jawsarn

When will the remaining of DOTS tech get their own sub-forums?

Answer:

31. optimise

optimise

From the roadmap 2020, I see there is New Entities Debugger in development. Will New Entities Debugger include Logic Flow Map feature as shown below? I have been waiting for this awesome feature since 2018.

Answer:

MartinTilo likes this.
  32. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Tanner555, AskCarol, optimise and 2 others like this.
  33. HermanLederer

HermanLederer

Are there any plans for documenting HDRP and URP in 2020?

Answer:

TerraUnity, Novack, MrPaparoz and 2 others like this.
  34. FI0rian

FI0rian

question about the visual scripting system:
    Is the plan eventually to have the system be integrated in the engine in such a way that it should be used side by side with normal C# scripting (similar to UE4's blueprints) or will they just be there as an alternative to C# for non programmers?

Answer:

AskCarol, IgnisIncendio and Ivan_br like this.
  35. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

In the World-building section you talk about foundation APIs, are you able to tell us a bit more about them? What are they, what will/can they be used for?

You also talk about being able to create your own manipulators using the APIs(?). The demonstration video is small, and hard to read the text. What are they exactly? Are they custom shaped gizmos/handles that are made using GameObjects? Sounds like you can have them even play sounds and things from within the editor?

Answer:

36. ecurtz

ecurtz

The session only vaguely overlapped with the items on the existing roadmap at https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap - will that be updated to better reflect current priorities?

Similar question + answer:

37. AskCarol

AskCarol

No new news today. We'll share here as soon as we have an update.

_cinoS and StephanieRowlinson like this.
  38. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

In world-building, the in development section says "Customizable toolbars and windows". That sounds very cool! Can we get some more info on what that could look like? What things we may be able to customize, and in what way.

Answer:

39. spryx

spryx

Any news on the status of collaborate 2.0?
    I'm tired of waiting for the scanning dialog to complete on launch.

Answer:

AskCarol likes this.
  40. talila

talila

Thanks for the roadmap presentation!
    Since it was not mentioned in the talk at all, any news or a timeframe for Project Mars?

Answer:

Ivan_br likes this.
  41. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

Will yall implement a system for handling floating point precision problems for massive worlds/space ? Example. Create a matrix of colliders (if you will) and when you enter into it, positional information is reset to zero around you and everything around you also moves to zero, but the whole process simulates as if the space was continuous. Seems like it would be a good fit for the dots framework and the math could be pretty simple.

Answer:

TerraUnity likes this.
  42. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

The plan is to share the preview package with runtime support when 2020.1 officially releases.

43. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the comment on the format - just to be clear, these are NOT replacements for our nomenclature - we are simply telling you the story of what we have released (core engine and verified packages), what is coming in prerelease (preview and alpha / beta) and what is in dev but not locked to a release number yet.

44. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

45. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Rowlan,
    • We are talking here of a new unified spline framework API. It will be used to gradually unify existing and new splines applications across unity for 2020+. We are not considering backporting to 2019 at the moment.
    • Splines will have many generic features (like the ones you mentioned, thanks for the input) but also application specific features (splines for rivers might differ in some ways from camera path splines for example) that are not in the API per say.
    • Definitely usable on terrain, this is our top priority use case actually.
    • Conforming to terrain (snapping to surface with normal alignement) is going to be supported.
    • Generic offsets and parallel constraints are in the plan but will come later in the case of splines.
    • We are supporting
      • Bezier
      • Catmull Rom
      • KB Spline
      • Linear
      And eventually:
      • BSpline
      • Hermite
    Thanks for your questions!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  46. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

Thanks for the clarification. Here's to hoping this beta goes a bit smoother than 2019.3's so it'll be sooner rather than later. ;)

benoitd_unity likes this.
  47. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Sure - we are working on a scene overlay framework, initially for our Environment system v2 but generally open for you to build tools you need in the scene, we want it to be easy to develop nice contextual UI much like the great work seen in asset store tools like Peek.

frarf, JoNax97 and StephanieRowlinson like this.
  48. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Talila! MARS is currently in open beta (email to join the beta - mars@unity3d.com) and will be released this year. No other specifics than that right now i'm afraid!

Ivan_br and StephanieRowlinson like this.
  49. elmar1028

elmar1028

I like the direction Unity is going.

Are there any plans on improving upload tools for Asset Store publishers?

Answer:

50. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi RedLogic,

We plan to have the pre-release version by early 2021. For more detailed information, I invite you to look at our regular experimental drops that we share with the community in the Unity forum: latest was drop 6, we skipped 7 (was internal only because of a major revision) and the much improved drop 8 will be available next week.

Cheers!

Tanner555 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.