Search Unity

2020 MacBook Pro twice as fast as RTX 3090 gpu bake

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Gametyme, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Gametyme

Gametyme

I’m trying to figure out how this is possible? One thing I did notice is that cudu is usually only used to about 48%. I’ve seen it go up to as high as 58% briefly. I’ve tried updated the windows version to the latest gpu driver and unity 2021.2.16. The Mac is on 2021.2.14. I actually timed it since it seems that the bake time is off on both systems but it’s 5 minutes on the Mac and 10 minutes on the pc. This is the exact same project and seen.

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

RTX 3090 should easily outperform most discrete GPUs on the market. I don't know why this is happening. Could you perhaps attach editor logs from both bakes? Perhaps total bake time reporting is off somehow.

3. Gametyme

Gametyme

I do believe the time is off because they report 40 seconds on the MacBook and 1.5 minutes on the PC but I timed them with a timer on my phone. How do I get the editor log?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Please refer to this manual page: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

Gametyme likes this.
  5. Gametyme

Gametyme

Did some more test today after disabling a couple of programs that were starting automatically with the computer. The pc now completes the bake in 3-3.5 minutes. MacBook Pro completes in 4-5 minutes. I’m pretty impressed with my MacBook.

kristijonas_unity likes this.