Search Unity

Bug 2020.2 deltaTime update seems to be causing issues with pixelperfect

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by xtytyx, Dec 21, 2020.

1. xtytyx

xtytyx

I seem to be having a problem with any kind of interaction with the 2d pixel perfect camera after the 2020.2 update.

This is only a problem in 2020.2, in 2020.1 this issue is non existant!

I have a video showing the problem. when enabled it jitters very badly, and offsets the world relative to the camera

using fixedUpdate to calculate positions with a low fixedDeltaTime AND having a high framerate <- best option
    (using a low fixedDeltaTime and calculating positions within fixedUpdate was how i was getting around the non consistent delta times previous to these fixes)

using fixedUpdate to calculate positions with a low fixedDeltaTime AND vsync <- close second

using deltaTime with high framerate <- third

using deltaTime with vsync at 60 (basically unplayable) <fourth

but in all scenarios when pixel perfect camera is enabled we see the characters jump forward and stutter back and fourth

I'm assuming because of some unseen interactions with how / when delta time is calculated?

Again these are only valid when using the 2d pixel perfect camera (as you can see in the video) when pixel perfect is disabled things are smooth (although not pixel perfect)

I will also be uploading a bug report if this is an unknown issue!
    But if it is known, i haven't been able to find references to it!

in this video Using dx11 windows standalone vsync enabled maxQueued frames set to 2 graphics jobs enabled URP 2d render pipeline

Vanderlolbroek likes this.
  2. Vanderlolbroek

Vanderlolbroek

xtytyx likes this.
  3. Vanderlolbroek

Vanderlolbroek

Did you file a bug report?

4. ernestask

ernestask

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Could you submit a bug report? Don't forget to add a small repro project with clear steps of reproduction.

UnityMaru likes this.
  5. xtytyx

xtytyx

absolutely i will file a bug report!!! I had assumed it was already known!
    @Vanderlolbroek i think ill just stay on 2020 until it gets looked at!! I'm assuming it shouldn't be too big of a fix! I also tried fixing it in the rendering pipeline but couldn't or didnt have access to the non open sourced files that were the source of the problem!!

6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Do you have the bug report ID to hand?

7. xtytyx

xtytyx

After re-checking the logs this looks like it is being fixed, last i checked there was a pr out to master for moving the position calculation in the pixel perfect camera to an earlier stage in the render pipeline.
    I should have checked back here, i was under the impression there was no additional bug reports necessary because the code was already out for review!
    Let me know if i was wrong!

8. blazingcometgames

blazingcometgames

Experiencing this same issue in 2020.2.4, non-existent in 2020.1.16. It's specifically with using follow target with cinemachine + pixel perfect causes a massive amount of jittering.

xtytyx likes this.