Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2020.2 Beta Sweepstakes - Your chance to win an Oculus Quest 2 - Submission period ended

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by LeonhardP, Oct 15, 2020.

1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The submission period for the sweepstakes has ended and we will pick the winners as soon as all submissions have been evaluated.

Hi everybody,

We have now retroactively started the accompanying sweepstakes for the 2020.2 Beta, which gives you the chance to win one of 8 Oculus Quest 2 headsets.

To enter the draw, all you have to do is identify and report at least one unique bug during the 2020.2 beta cycle. The contest opens retroactively at 00:01 am PT on October 9 and the submission period ends at 23:59 pm PT on November 18.

A unique bug is one that has not yet been reported at the time of submission and has been reproduced and acknowledged by Unity as a bug. Make sure to add #Beta2020Win_OCULUS in your bug report submission. If you entered a valid submission but didn’t initially tag it with #Beta2020Win_OCULUS, you can do that retroactively until the end of the submission period by replying with the tag to the confirmation email you received after submitting the report. Every additional valid submission increases your odds at winning but no participant can win more than one Oculus Quest 2.

No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited. See the full rules here. We will contact the winners directly.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  2. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I send bugs and crashes to Unity on a weekly basis. Unity nearly never manages to reproduce my bugs nor make sense of the crash reports and always wants me to create reproduction projects. This has been brought up a lot before but I really urge the Unity colleagues to improve this process. I see three ways:

- make it clear that you do NOT want any bug or crash reports from people who cannot invest time in reproduction projects or can only share their huge 50Gb project (like me, I did that just lately but never heard back although it is perfectly reproducible)
    - have your devs connect remotely to inspect issues (I'd allow that for example if it helps to resolve some of my most pressing bugs)
    - or make your tooling more intelligent to send more useful reports

Right now the situation is really unfortunate and having a sweepstakes with all the prerequisites that many people usually cannot (and in my eyes should not, they are reporting bugs after all but they are not your QA team) fulfill is actually a bit offending (at least to me).

Qriva, tacman1123, RakNet and 8 others like this.
  3. valarnur

valarnur

Does that mean beta ends on Nov 18th?

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

An anonymous heroic donor sent me an RTX 2080 graphics card recently and I think it could show its full potential only, if I had an Oculus Quest 2 headset too. :D

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

No, the beta phase might continue after this date. The final release date also depends on qualitative goals being met.

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  6. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Just wondering, are all bugs that have been reported during the beta cycle eligible to participate or is it only ones since October 9th?

7. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

+1 on clarification of Start Date.

Also would an issue count if it is discovered in 2020.2 but covers more Unity versions? Does it have to be an issue related to 2020.2 editor, i.e. does finding a bug in a package associated with 2020.2 like URP or HDRP counts?

8. drallcom3

drallcom3

So next time I should hold off sending bug reports until you hold a sweepstake? Because that's how I feel right now. What a crappy way to hold a sweepstake.

MostHated and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

"Facebook says that tying your account to your authentic identity helps protect the Oculus community with Facebook's privacy and safety tools. "

This forum needs a ROFL emoji.

10. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

not true, actually. it's stated right here that you can apply retroactively:

Mark_01 and Peter77 like this.
  11. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

See above

12. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

For those that want to know more about the promise Facebook made as part of the Oculus acquisition. A promise that has now been broken and reason why you might not want or even be able to use Oculus products such as this unless they retract this decision:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2020/08/22/facebook-sparks-oculus-outrage-you-need-an-account-to-log-in/

worth mentioning Oculus Quest 2 specifically requires a Facebook account even if you already have an Oculus account. No grace period for you even.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/15...-headset-facebook-account-suspension-problems

Mark_01, laurentlavigne and Peter77 like this.
  13. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Insert comment here about being upset you need to make a Facebook account (that you don't even need to use) to use a device.

It's like complaining about needing to make a Playstation Account to use a PS4.

14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

All 2020.2 related bugs that were reported during the beta up until the 18th of November are eligible. That also includes bugs in packages and bugs that occur in previous versions as well. The bugs need to be reported with a version of 2020.2 and be acknowledged by Unity as bugs.

I'm sorry for the confusion and hope this clears things up.

15. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Hold on, let's clarify something here. Hear me out. Why do you think no-one ever complained about having to make an Oculus account which has been required for many years? -- Because that was equivalent to making a Playstation account.

Sony doesn't make you register for a ubiquitous and monopolistic data mining social network run by a company with questionable privacy practices currently under investigation in several countries, that also requires you use your real name and upload government documents to prove your real identity or get banned.

Because Sony doesn't have such a social network.

Anyway, by all means, feel free to use Facebook's products and services, apply to the sweepstakes. That's all your choice to make given the information that's out there and what you want to believe or not. I'm just posting links to regarding the registration policy changes related to getting value from the prize in this sweepstakes for people to be aware of and make choices about. If you don't mind, fine by me. But the Playstation Network is in no way equivalent to Facebook. Not in this dimension / timeline / universe.

16. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

^ I think that guy was trolling you.
    Don't let FB's vomit-inducing practices detract you from winning this Q2. I know I won't - yes you heard me @Peter77, gloves are off!
    Look at it this way, I'm sure a few white hats despise Z borg. Q2 runs on android, it'll get hacked into oblivion within a month tops. Then you can link it to your PC. Better rift for free. If not, big deal, you make 200 bucks on ebay...

ROBYER1 and LooperVFX like this.
  17. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I'll contact you directly when Facebook sweep into my house, taking my family, worldly possessions and maybe even my own life because of that Facebook account I made 16 years ago.

18. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

Yeah, I'm just ignoring them now. I hear you, I was thinking to suggest the selling on eBay route as well, or just shelving it until Facebook responds to the backlash with a retraction and/or hackers and hobbyists open it up. Only time will tell. :D

19. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hello I have been in hospital for 2 weeks. I had posted this in another VR forum and I was looking so forward to getting a
    Quest 2, but then I read I HAD to get a FB account for the quest 2 AND that they had said that my Quest 1 Hardware I OWN, will have to have a FB account by 2022 and will stop working if I do not. How much data do these mega corps need ? My post follows If you take the time to read this link from RoadtoVR It is kind of chilling least to me. That is why I will not get a quest2 and I have stopped buying and new games.. really i have not used the quest 1 for a while and not since I heard this, Please excuse any typos and the hastily post of mine. It is in part because of what I was in hospital for and it is late.... the rest is my original post Thank you >>>

Off Topic in some way's .. If you want to go straight to the article instead of reading what the comments were main points were for me instead .. it is here https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebook-account-oculus-headset-community-standards/

Please excuse any typo's etc.. I was just seeing Oculus Quest 2 will be for sale Oct 13 .
    How ever ( bad news for me ) ... Quest 2 will Have to have a face book account to run. Also if they disable your account for any reason, you will loose the ability to even Use the Quest 2. ( I have no FB and don't want ) ..
    Also, support for any Oculus device will only be supported till 2023 .. ( with only an oculus account ) .. Then you will need to have a FB account.

This hits me all the wrong way. FB will have ton's of personal data on any of its user's . And feels like a electronic net.
    I saw yesterday Amazon in making 360 million a day ,, but they can't pay the workers decent wages .. /rant off on that.

What really chilled me was a comment ( I do not know if this is true or not, but is is said to be a leaked email from Zuckerberg ) .. From the comments >> "

(Zuckerbergs words)
    "The strategic goal is the clearest. We are vulnerable on mobile to Google and Apple because they make major mobile platforms. We would like a stronger strategic position in the next wave of computing. We can achieve this only by building both a major platform as well as key apps."

"I will discuss the main elements of the platform and key apps further below, but for now keep in mind that we need to succeed in building both a major platform and key apps to improve our strategic position on the next platform. If we only build key apps but not the platform, we will remain in our current position [of being beholden to platform holders]. If we only build the platform but not the key apps, we may be in a worse position. We need to build both."

"From a timing perspective, we are better off the sooner the next platform becomes ubiquitous and the shorter the time we exist in a primarily mobile world dominated by Google and Apple. The shorter this time, the less out community is vulnerable to the actions of others. Therefore, our goal is not only to win in VR / AR, but also to accelerate its arrival. This is part of my rationale for acquiring companies and increasing investment in them sooner rather than waiting until later to derisk them further. By accelerating this space, we are derisking our vulnerability on mobile." "

And sorry here is another comment about FB wanting to Buy Unity ( true or not IDK )

"
    I feel the email had much more serious implications, like his desire to acquire Unity and his borderline doomsday plan for the engine. Basically he sees how Google is controlling the net by heavily incentivising services into APIs that are widely used. What if you do that to a game engine, while crippling your competitors in the same engine?

I can understand Zuckerberg wanting to have complete market dominance since his competitors want to kill him off in the same exact way, but I can't get behind that at all. And I don't want to help create Web 3.0, v2 for something you should treat as a conceptually simple gaming accessory. No data harvesting, no nonsense. Just tech you can use.

Basically how I feel is that an immediate commercial success in this case doesn't mean a successful grasp of the VR space. Most Quest users seem to begrudgingly use a Quest with plans to utterly leave the ecosystem. The VR software scene has a heavy drought Facebook won't and can't fix. Yet they want to take over the marketshare *now*, but not really accelerate anything other than price reduction. "

LooperVFX likes this.
  20. tacman1123

tacman1123

The Oculus Quest 2 is standalone, so that graphics card in your computer isn't going to affect it. MIGHT make development time faster though, depending on what you're doing.

21. Baste

Baste

You can connect it via USB, which will still be necessary in order to play eg. Half Life: Alyx.

Or you can, in theory. My computer straight up refuses to install the Oculus software. I've been back and forth with Oculus support for over a month - their latest advice, which still didn't fix the issue - was to reinstall my OS. So that's fun.

22. tacman1123

tacman1123

You're right, I had forgotten about using Oculus Link with the Quest 2.

I HATE when any tech support gives bogus answers like "reinstall the OS". Rrrr.

23. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I'm still finding significant new bugs in 2019.4 (average of 1-2 per week accepted by UnityQA).

When I'm finding *so many* bugs in the LTS version - the one we need for doing actual work - it's not worth my time to be bug-hunting the betas. Perhaps Unity should run a similar competition for the live version?

HEATH3N likes this.
  24. Kamyker

Kamyker

What's the deadline for "reproduced and acknowledged by Unity"?

25. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

There's no fixed deadline. We wait with the draft until all submissions have been evaluated/resolved.

26. thestringer

thestringer

Any winners yet ?

27. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Considering the deadline to submit these only ended 5 hours ago, I'm sure there are still tons of submissions that need to be evaluated before they can raffle.

I know I sneaked in few last minute entries too :D

NotaNaN, thestringer and Rallix like this.
  28. Rallix

Rallix

It says to "wait until all submissions have been evaluated" just in the post above.
    I'm quite certain it's going to take a bit longer than a single day until they go through all recently reported bugs and determine which of them are eligible to be included in the draft…

29. thestringer

thestringer

Yes sorry everyone, I thought today was the 20th like a plonker. Ignore me

30. valarnur

valarnur

2020.2.0b12 is released and number of known issues is very small. I assume RC is near.

31. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for all the submissions everybody! We'll let you know who the winners are as soon as possible. It might still take a week or two, though.

32. Kamyker

Kamyker

My stats so far, 7 bugs reported:
    3 reproduced
    2 reproduced and fixed
    1 duplicate
    1 open (still not processed since 2020-11-03)

I've read there's also Virtual Desktop which can be used to stream pc view to Oculus via wifi.

33. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I just got last of my 2020.2 bug reports processed by QA today so these definitely do take their time :)

34. MvdLaar

MvdLaar

Just curious - have winners been picked, now that 2020.2 is out? :)

35. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Not yet, there are still some open cases left. I expect that we will be able to do the draft by the end of the week or early next week at the latest.

36. MvdLaar

MvdLaar

Thanks, no worries of course! Just curious if we should keep an eye out.

37. thestringer

thestringer

Any more news on winners yet, or still sorting through open cases ?

38. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

All cases have been processed and we have picked the potential winners and reached out to them. Once the winners are confirmed, we will share an update here.

MvdLaar, Kamyker and thestringer like this.
  39. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies