Search Unity

[2019.x] Duplicating or copy/pasting a GameObject marks all scenes dirty

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Glaswyll, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Glaswyll

Glaswyll

I've already filed a bug report for this, but I'm hoping to bring wider attention to it in the hope there's some setting or workaround known by the community to prevent this from happening.

If a gameObject is duplicated, or copy&pasted, all scenes open in the hierarchy are marked dirty, adding unnecessary latency when saving. Our project heavily relies on multi scene editing for art purposes, and this is causing severe wait times when saving in certain scenarios.

I've attached a gif demonstrating the issue. In the first part, I delete three gameObjects. Note, the only scene marked dirty is the scene where the deletion happened.
    In the second part, I create an empty gameObject. Again, only one scene is marked dirty.
    In the last part, I duplicate an existing gameObject. Note, that all open scenes are marked dirty, even though the other two open scenes had no changes.

all-scenes-dirty-01.gif

I'm hoping to find a solution to this soon. The amount of time wasted over the course of a day adds up fast.

2. Evyatron7

Evyatron7

Just encountered this issue as well.
    We also rely on multi-scene setup, where each level is made up of multiple scenes. One of the benefits was specifically to avoid conflicts - so art, audio and design can all work on the same level without dirtying each-other's scenes.

3. Glaswyll

Glaswyll

Evyatron7 likes this.