Search Unity

2019 with LWRP only renders left eye on Rift

Discussion in 'VR' started by CWatsonT2, Mar 7, 2019.

1. CWatsonT2

CWatsonT2

I'm using Unity 2019.2.0a6 and setting it up as LWRP when the project is created. Then I activate XR with Oculus and Open VR. Then when I run it it only is rendering to the left eye. I've tried switching out the camera and it doesn't seem to matter it's always only the left eye rendering. Is there a setting I'm missing? If I do the same thing in Unity 2018 it works fine.

Durgam22 and ROBYER1 like this.
  2. CWatsonT2

CWatsonT2

I found out that if I change the Stereo Rendering Mode from Multi Pass to Single Pass in the Player settings under XR Settings it will render to both eyes.

3. A20T3M4

A20T3M4

Is this the official solution? The Oculus Quest best practices guide for unity advises against rendering single pass, however I am having the same issue.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  4. CWatsonT2

CWatsonT2

I don't know. It's what I stuck with.

5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Same issue here, have you submitted a bug report for it? I strongly advise submitting a bug report and also post the case number here so we can upvote it and track it.

PushButtonsIO likes this.
  6. Lucas-Hehir

Lucas-Hehir

Still present in 2019.2.2f1

7. PushButtonsIO

PushButtonsIO

Same issue - 2019.2f1 LWRP Quest - No issues using the standard render pipeline

8. peteforde

peteforde

Same issue here. How do we get someone at Unity or Oculus to take note? LWRP 2019.2.2f1 targeting Oculus Quest.

9. Shizola

Shizola

I don't know if this was different before, but Oculus recommend Single Pass on Quest, so you'd want to stick with that anyway.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    ROBYER1 likes this.
  10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

LWRP/URP seems to still be in preview, I would advise against using it until it is properly released and bug-free. They have made it easy enough to convert a built-in renderer project to LWRP/URP anyway!

11. Lucas-Hehir

Lucas-Hehir

For what its worth... I got it working, with a small caveat.

Yes, Oculus say to use single-pass, but multi-pass worked well for me and fixed the left-eye issue. I only had a look at the standard LWRP template project scene (the construction site), so take it with a grain of salt in terms of supporting anything else... but it wasn't frame-y and looked like it should! So it's at least possible.

12. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

If you take one look at the SRP main repo and see how much is being changed/fixed or broken on a daily/hourly basis, while the Built-in renderer within Unity is generally in a stable working state, I'd wait for an official recommended URP release for VR! Take a look at the repo changes in this screenshot, that's simply over the course of 2-3 days :O
    upload_2019-9-10_10-17-35.png

13. Lucas-Hehir

Lucas-Hehir

Yeah... it's cooked. I'm only offering it purely as a 'full disclosure' in case anyone is really desperate to give it a go. I think waiting for a proper release is the way to go!

ROBYER1 likes this.
  14. MichealPeters-XW

MichealPeters-XW

LWRP has been moved from preview to release as of 2019.1 https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/04/16/introducing-unity-2019-1/#lwrp

p.s. Yes, I had the same problem, and it was resolved the same way, using Single pass. I don't know if Single-pass was "Made for Oculus Go" but I assume and hope that it only fails on devices that support Multi-pass.

15. Johannski

Johannski

When using the new XR Management Package with URP, the left Eye problem can be solved by using Multiview right now.

upload_2019-10-24_16-54-6.png

This is quite disappointing after the feeling tat everything was ready to use from this video

chantey, harleydk, OLGV and 1 other person like this.
  16. Orami

Orami

So with 2019.2.12f1 and a Rift CV1 (I guess I am outdated?) single pass also fixed the left eye only view.

17. beardedlinuxgeek

beardedlinuxgeek

ROBYER1 likes this.
  18. nomand

nomand

Using Multiview on the quest works, but has very harsh jitters, but only when moving XRDevices (hands, hmd), rotating your head is lag-free though. Very strange.

19. torano

torano

Same today. For Oculus Desktop with URP & XR Management, using Single Pass Instanced rendering solves the issue.

sondyr likes this.
  20. OLGV

OLGV

Brilliant, thanks. It works indeed though at the cost of performance that comes along with Multiview.
    Hopefully, we get a 2019.3 with URP all working clean for Mobile VR.

21. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Multiview is the most optimal though, are you confusing it with Multi-pass?

22. MrNorel

MrNorel

I'm testing the new XR Management Package, using URP in Unity 2019.3.0f1 and an Oculus Rift S.
    But even with Single Pass Instanced Rendering, the right eye is still blue in HMD.
    Also, performance seems affected.
    Any ideas ?

23. He3D

He3D

for me in 2019.2.1 and lwrp = XR Settings MULTIVIEW do the trick.

24. Partrick

Partrick

It worked thanks man.. It was really frustrating

25. OLGV

OLGV

You are right, Multi-View (aka Single-Pass Multi-View) is supposed to be faster than Multi-Pass. In my case though I noticed a performance drop once changing from Multi-Pass to Multi-View. On the Quest.

Maybe is not down to the stereo render method, but to OpenGL in URP, while using the VFX ShaderGraph.
    ...subject for another thread I guess :)

ROBYER1 likes this.
  26. SmartCarrion

SmartCarrion

I set up a very simple test scene with just a few primitives and tracked pose control of the head and hands. Multi-View makes everything shrink down super weirdly...your hands are down below your left foot and you can't see any of the floor plane or other static objects. AND it is still in just the left eye.

Desktop single pass looks great, android multpass is left eye only and otherwise normal. Anyone seen this too?

27. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Please report it with the Unity bug reporter, the devs won't see your feedback here and I would like to have the issue fixed too

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

28. saifshk17

saifshk17

We all have this problem, multi pass works great without jitter but only on one eye and multi view lags alot.

29. Heinrix

Heinrix

Multiview only has 1 working eye for me on Quest and that eye seems to be showing double vision and tracking problems.
    Multi pass is just 1 working eye with no double vision or tracking issues.

I've posted a bug report too.
    2019.3.5 with URP

montyfi, Dragnipurake97 and ROBYER1 like this.
  30. montyfi

montyfi

Same for me in OpenVR, only one eye is working in Multipass. 2019.3 URP template

31. DigitalIPete2

DigitalIPete2

Same for me - XR - Oculus Quest - multiview is only one eye for full effects - left eye renders terrain or sky studio but right eye everything except terrain and skystudio...?

32. saifshk17

saifshk17

So Unity 2020.1.0a21 Beta is released and the problem still persists and there is no improvements. I was thinking about "Tracked Pose Driver" which the new XR attaches to the CenterCamera (Main Camera). If we play around with that, maybe we can make the jitter go away in Multi-view.

33. saifshk17

saifshk17

URP 7.2 is available now in Unity 2019.3.0f6.

34. harleydk

harleydk

Really helped me out, thanks.

35. DigitalIPete2

DigitalIPete2

March... 2020 still an issue

Unity 2019.3.0f6

Story Wildlands Bundle Asset - Using URP / LWRP asset from asset store. Updated 28th Feb 2020 to work with LWP/URP.

Single pass instanced, XR Management set up, Oculus XR plugin - Rift S right eye shows terrain with wrong texturing... when using single pass instanced and right eye blanked when using Multi view...

Right eye using Single Pass Instanced with URP on Oculus Rift S shows faulty terrain texture.
    URP_RiftS_Wrong Terrain Texture.jpg

Please can we have a solution?

P

36. DEGUEKAS

DEGUEKAS

single pass worked in Oculus Integration, is it the right way?

chantey likes this.
  37. leeprobert

leeprobert

I could not see my UI or Line Renderer in the right eye, but changing to multi-pass solved this. I am using 2019.3.7f1

foonix likes this.
  38. SirianSun

SirianSun

Still an issue today.
    2019.3.7f1, URP, Rift S, Multi Pass was set, only left eye worked. Once I set it to single instance both eyes work, but not for all elements. I am using an asset called Volumetric Lights from Asset Store and they only show for the left eye, not both, even if the rest of the objects work. Oh well.

39. DEGUEKAS

DEGUEKAS

this issue was fixed in my project with unity version 2019.3.11f1

40. zezba9000

zezba9000

I'm making a custom SRP and this is just broken in Unity MockHMD as well. Change camera, game-view or anything to force it to the right eye and it will always use the left eye no matter what. This is way to time consuming to develop for that broken.

41. sondyr

sondyr

With the Quest I found that I had to change the Desktop settings to Single Pass Instanced in order to see with the right eye in the Unity Editor. I believe the Multiview option under the Android settings are necessary when building to the quest.

42. Recluse

Recluse

Updated a project from Unity 2018 (single pass, standard pipeline, forward rendering) to 2019.3.13f1.

Single pass rendering no longer works on Rift CV1... the entire screen just renders black.

I'm waiting on a Quest devkit for testing, but reading all the comments above not expecting a smooth ride.

43. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I just upgraded an URP project from 2019.3 single pass rendering and Unity included VR on Oculus to 2020.1 with Oculus plugin. Now my right eye only renders partially, it leaves out all things that do something with the stencil buffer. Switching to multipass works but is a killer for framerate. Is this an official bug or is there some setting missing from my side?

44. DEGUEKAS

DEGUEKAS

In unity 2019.4.1 is already corrected, try that version.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  45. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I am on 2020.1.15 right now, there it is still incorrect

46. DEGUEKAS

DEGUEKAS

I just opened a project using unity xr and I work with multiple pass and single pass instanced working well, the test is done with an oculus rift s, I recommend you try try (unity 2019.4.1).

47. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Not sure what you mean exactly. I am using the exact same scene in 2019.3.14 and 2020.1.15 and in the first one it works, in the second one it's broken.

48. DEGUEKAS

DEGUEKAS

that's really weird. I upgrade to the latest version of unity 2019 and it was fixed automatically

49. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Maybe it didn't arrive in the beta yet or it's still another error. Only happens for a subset of shaders for me, like stencils and fancy ivies I purchased on the store. Left eye perfect, right eye invisible.

50. DEGUEKAS

DEGUEKAS

I happened the same in an earlier version of unity, used shader graph and it looked all right in one eye and the other was totally dark.
    try to find where the problem came from and change the configuration but updating unity fixes it.