Search Unity

2019 Vive No controllers, menus, or errors

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by Varynnn, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Varynnn

Varynnn

Unity: 2019.2.2f1
    VR set: HTC Vive
    EditorXR 0.2.1

I've been trying to get EditorXR working in Unity, and I've been able to get it running in the HMD except I have yet to have working controllers or menus. It doesn't even seem like EXR is really trying to add these in. I've tried without OpenVR or SteamVR, with SteamVR1.2.4, with OpenVR 1.0.5, and with Oculus Implementation packages both off the Asset Store and the Package Manager. I've tried every combination of the above. Nothing works, even though according to a Pull Request I thought those SDK requirements were no longer present?
    I've also tried with and without copying UnityEngine.SpatialTracking.dll into the assets folder. I've in some form or another had it where there wasn't a single error being reported and yet still the results are the same. I have toggled Display View to no avail, and I've tried with and without Obsolete API conversion.

I don't know what else to try, so I'm turning to the community; any ideas?

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Did you use the .unityPackage release or did you pull from the github repo? If the latter, then what branch did you pull?

3. Varynnn

Varynnn

I used the latest .unityPackage release 0.2.1 from the github and imported it into a new project and have been unable to get it working. I should note that all of my firmware is up to date. After you asked, I did try downloading the source from the 0.2.1 release and just importing that straight into Unity, but ended up with a bunch of Failed to Load and serialization errors saying they were serialized with a newer version of Unity.

4. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Okay, so a few things going on here:

The "no partner SDKs" isn't part of the 0.2.1 release, but is currently available if you were to clone the `development` branch from GitHub. If you do clone from GitHub, make sure to follow these directions: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EditorXR#cloning

I tried getting EditorXR running with the 0.2.1 release by:
    1. Creating a new project with Unity 2019.2.5f1
    2. Importing the EditorXR package that I downloaded here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EditorXR/releases/download/v0/0.2.1/EditorXR-0.2.1.unitypackage
    3. Importing the `XR Legacy Input Helpers` from the Package Manager UI
    4. Fixing a compile error where `UnityEngine.SpatialTracking` is not found by adding an Assembly Definition Reference to `UnityEngine.SpatialTracking` in Assets/EditorXR/EXR.asmdef
    5. Importing the SteamVR plugin mentioned in the Getting Started Guide: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steamvr_unity_plugin/releases/tag/1.2.3
    6. Accepting the Input manager settings changes and the Steam VR plugin settings changes.
    7. Launching EditorXR

I believe #4 is your issue. All of this will get a lot better with our next release.

Varynnn likes this.
  5. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Here's a copy of the EXR.asmdef that you can simply replace in your project if you don't want to make the change yourself.

Attached Files:

• EXR.zip
      File size:
      356 bytes
      Views:
  6. Varynnn

Varynnn

I followed along with your steps for Unity 2019.2.2f1 in a new, empty project and it works great! I suspect you were right about step #4. EditorXR is a little janky (might just be in part that I still need to remount my second lighthouse) but it's very cool! Excited to see the next release! Thank you!

7. Shirzad

Shirzad

is it still necessary to install in 0.3 version SteamVR?

8. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

If you are talking about the SteamVR Unity plugin, then no. You will still need SteamVR installed on the Steam side if you wish to use that platform w/ one of the supported HMDs.