Search Unity

Bug 2019 LTS latest version - Editor never finishes loading

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by alexrau, Jun 8, 2021.

1. alexrau

alexrau

My project won't start. It hangs for many hours (14 is longest I waited on it). Sometimes it crashes, but sometimes not. When it hangs it tries to import some DAZ fbx, over and over.

I had tried to import an asset, and it asked me to update packages. I said okay and it never started again.

I went to the package changes and removed the lines that it had changed, but I still can't get the project to restart.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Is their a library to delete or such.
    I have restarted this project from scratch for the fourth time and was making really good progress till this completely blocked me. I really don't want to try to manually copy from the current project into a new one.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Going forward you really need to be using version control. The process for fixing this should be you just revert your recent changes back to your last known good state, which should take just minutes.

Then if you did a lot of work across the project recently, you can reapply those changes one at a time using the version control system until you find what specifically is causing the problem. Then back that one out again and move on.

3. alexrau

alexrau

Which version control would you suggest? In earlier versions I had used their built in solution, but they lost files I had uploaded and I was unable to restore from, so am a bit weary, but it's been a while so will give it a second chance if you have had success restoring from it recently.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Git is the cool kid in town, and has become the defacto standard across the software industry. I'm personally partial to SVN, which arguably was the defacto standard across the software industry a decade earlier. But if you were to learn one today, learning Git would be a more valuable skill.

And sorry I don't actually have a suggestion on how to fix your current problem. Rereading my first post I know it comes off as here's what you should have done, too late now! That wasn't really the tone I was going for.

5. alexrau

alexrau

No worries Joe, I read your tone as helpful and appreciated it, sometimes you just need someone else to tell you to do the right thing. Making some good progress on manual rebuild from the previous folder and after that setting up VC is priority one.