Search Unity

Question [2019.4.40f1] How to get "recommended JDK/SDK Tools/Android NDK" that is officially supported?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nina32176, May 29, 2023.

1. nina32176

nina32176

Hello friends,
    I just installed unity, version as in title.
    In the past, I used 2017 for years but it is no longer supported.
    After installing the new version. I am unable to build my project for Android.
    Here are my prefs:
    upload_2023-5-29_15-35-57.png
    I was searching for solution but everything seems to say that I must "install them with unity", but unity installation dialog just let me tick "Android platform" and I ticked that, and there is still no JDK/SDK/nothing.

To be clear, the paths given on prefs are empty... AndroidPlayer directory:
    upload_2023-5-29_15-37-18.png
    See? Nothing here.

I don't get it, how should I install recommended stuff? Thanks!

2. Hexolenn

Hexolenn

I had the same problem as well and after I re-installed with the correct modules it worked correctly.

To chech if you have installed them correctly you can go and check from unity hub installs tab
    Ekran görüntüsü 2023-05-29 164140.png

After that go to the settings button(Cogwheel) of the isntallation that you are using. And select add modules Ekran görüntüsü 2023-05-29 164156.png

Lastly check if you downloaded the right things for a mobile platform those being:
    Android Build Support
    OpenJDK
    Android SDK & NDK Tools
    Ekran görüntüsü 2023-05-29 164216.png

If you cannot see these you can add them as modules or re-install the unity version with these modules.

If you have these modules installed and still have problems I am sorry but I don't have an answer for you

3. nina32176

nina32176

Well, thank you for reply, but I searched and rechecked again and as you can see below, I have no "add modules" entry:
    upload_2023-5-29_15-58-36.png
    I can only run again UnityDownloadAssistant-2019.4.40f1.exe , where I got:

upload_2023-5-29_15-59-26.png
    but i did that, and still nothing

4. Hexolenn

Hexolenn

The first time this happened to me I had the same problem as well I couldn't see the add modules tab as well but after re-isntalling it appeared for me. But that could be because I had a newer version of unity as you can see I use 2021.3.25f1.

Maybe you can try going for a higher version as well because while installing It showed me bot android build support and those modules I talked about.

upload_2023-5-29_17-6-38.png
    upload_2023-5-29_17-5-59.png
    As you can see if you go to the install editor at the top and select the latest versions it shows me the modules

You can try to update your version in the install editor but if you cannot see modules in it while downloading.

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Unity2019 is not any more supported than Unity2017 is.

As Hex said above, select a version that is still supported or you'll be inhibited from doing meaningful game dev while you attempt to fix what might be unfixable.

In any case, Unity2020.3.40f1 is the oldest version of Unity that has the Android 12+ audio crash bug fixed.

ISSUES RELATED TO UPGRADING PROJECTS (eg, changing to a higher Unity version)

Upgrading to a later version of Unity is a one-way process. Any project that has been updated should NEVER be reverted to an earlier version of Unity because this is expressly not supported by Unity. Doing so exposes your project to internal inconsistencies and breakage that may actually be impossible to repair.

If you want to upgrade to a newer version of Unity, do not even consider it until you have placed your project fully under proper source control. This goes double or triple for non-LTS (Tech Stream) versions of Unity3D, which can be extremely unstable compared with LTS.

Once you have source-controlled your project then you may attempt a Unity upgrade. Immediately after any attempted upgrade you should try to view as much of your project as possible, with a mind to looking for broken animations or materials or any other scripting errors or runtime issues.

After an upgrade you should ALWAYS build to all targets you contemplate supporting: iOS and Android can be particularly finicky, and of course any third party libraries you use must also "play nice" with the new version of Unity. Since you didn't write the third party library, it is up to you to vet it against the new version to make sure it still works.

If there are issues in your testing after upgrading Unity, ABANDON the upgrade, revert your project in source control and be back where you were pre-upgrade with the earlier version of Unity.

Obviously the less you test after the upgrade the more chance you will have of an undiscovered critical issue.

This risk of upgrading is entirely on you and must be considered whenever you contemplate a Unity version upgrade.

Do not upgrade "just for fun" or you may become very unhappy.

PROPERLY CONFIGURING AND USING ENTERPRISE SOURCE CONTROL

I'm sorry you've had this issue. Please consider using proper industrial-grade enterprise-qualified source control in order to guard and protect your hard-earned work.

Personally I use git (completely outside of Unity) because it is free and there are tons of tutorials out there to help you set it up as well as free places to host your repo (BitBucket, Github, Gitlab, etc.).

You can also push git repositories to other drives: thumb drives, USB drives, network drives, etc., effectively putting a complete copy of the repository there.

As far as configuring Unity to play nice with git, keep this in mind:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/prefab-links-keep-getting-dumped-on-git-pull.646600/#post-7142306

I usually make a separate repository for each game, but I have some repositories with a bunch of smaller test games.

Here is how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Using fine-grained source control as you work to refine your engineering:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...grammer-example-in-text.1048739/#post-6783740

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

Setting up an appropriate .gitignore file for Unity3D:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/removing-il2cpp_cache-from-project.1084607/#post-6997067

Generally the ONLY folders you should ever source control are:

Assets/
    ProjectSettings/
    Packages/

NEVER source control Library/ or Temp/ or Logs/
    NEVER source control anything from Visual Studio (.vs, .csproj, none of that noise)

Setting git up with Unity (includes above .gitignore concepts):

https://thoughtbot.com/blog/how-to-git-with-unity

It is only simple economics that you must expend as much effort into backing it up as you feel the work is worth in the first place. Digital storage is so unbelievably cheap today that you can buy gigabytes of flash drive storage for about the price of a cup of coffee. It's simply ridiculous not to back up.

If you plan on joining the software industry, you will be required and expected to know how to use source control.

"Use source control or you will be really sad sooner or later." - StarManta on the Unity3D forum boards

nina32176 likes this.
  6. nina32176

nina32176

Thank you for your detailed response. I appreciate it.

First I will say that I am forced by Google Play to update my game. They delete all games like crazy.

Every new Unity version breaks my game even more. I already lost legacy particle system (last supported in 2017) and had to resolve cursor lock bug.

Can you please tell me more about "Android audio crash"? What is that? Will I run into it in my 3D basic game?

7. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

This was where I worked from:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/fmod-android-12-crash.1276904/

Specifically about 2019 no longer being supported, from the same thread above:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/fmod-android-12-crash.1276904/#post-8422020

There were more reported crashes in December 2022 (in the newer versions of Unity) but the Unity guy seemed to straighten the reports out by pointing out that the crash was not related to FMOD.

Software is a living thing. If you don't regularly maintain any software it rapidly falls out of date.