Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.4.10f1 + vfx > 7.3.1 broken?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by xshadowmintx, Sep 19, 2020.

1. xshadowmintx

xshadowmintx

Just a quick question:

Has anyone managed to get the vfx graph working with 2019.4.10f?

I upgraded today, and my vfx graphs no longer render; both the 7.4.* and 7.5.* packages just do nothing when you add the graph to the scene for me; no errors, no rendering either in the scene or game view.

I had to downgrade to 7.3.1 (which is the only verified package, to be fair) in order to get my graphs working.

NB. To check this wasn't a cache issue, I completely deleted the Library folder to force a complete re-import of the entire package hierarchy. Made no difference. Platform is, as before, OSX 10.15.6)

2. xshadowmintx

xshadowmintx

Hm... cloned https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/VisualEffectGraph-Samples opened in 2019.4.10 (worked) and upgraded the vfx package to 7.5.1 (worked) then swapped from HDRP to URP and rebuilt all the shaders and with the exception of the HDRP shaders, everything seemed to work fine (eg. unity logo scene).

So... not sure. Maybe it's just me. I'll see if I can create a repro for it not working on a clean project, but for now at least, it loooooooks like the packages do actually work in (some?) cases.

3. florianhanke

florianhanke

It's not just you – I'm on OSX 10.15.6, Unity 2020.1.6f1, shader graph 9.0.0-preview.54 (and 8.2.0 verified), URP and while the tester tells me there should be 31 particles in the screenshot, I see nothing (I've worked on particles a month ago, so must have crept in in the meantime). I'll see if I can find a version combination that works.

Screenshot 2020-09-19 at 11.44.24.png

P.S: Not sure if relevant, but when I rebuild all visual effects graphs, I get:
    Code (Text):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.VFX.VFXSubgraphContext.RecreateCopy () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@9.0.0-preview.54/Editor/Models/Contexts/VFXSubgraphContext.cs:199)
    3. UnityEditor.VFX.VFXGraph.RecurseSubgraphRecreateCopy (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] children) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@9.0.0-preview.54/Editor/Models/VFXGraph.cs:574)
    4. UnityEditor.VFX.VFXGraph.PrepareSubgraphs () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@9.0.0-preview.54/Editor/Models/VFXGraph.cs:662)
    5. UnityEditor.VFX.VFXGraph.CompileForImport () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@9.0.0-preview.54/Editor/Models/VFXGraph.cs:724)
    6. UnityEditor.VFX.VFXGraphPreprocessor.OnCompileResource (UnityEditor.VFX.VisualEffectResource resource) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@9.0.0-preview.54/Editor/Models/VFXGraph.cs:53)
    7. UnityEditor.VFX.VisualEffectResource.CompileResource () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/VFXEditor/Public/ScriptBindings/VisualEffectResource.b
    Edit: Only the effects using Blend Mode: Alpha stopped being visible – so I am unsure what the issue is in my case.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    xshadowmintx likes this.