Search Unity

Bug 2019.4.0f1 Decal projector bug

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by qidrokun, Jul 6, 2020.

1. qidrokun

qidrokun

Not sure if others have this issue with creating a variant instance of decal projectors at 2019.4.0f1 (HDRP) version of unity but I've unpacked the prefab partially and completely and still when I try to assign different decal material to the projector it switches the original material also.

If anyone else has issues with this, I'd appreciate your input/solutions on this one. :)

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

No problems here, using 2019.4.1 and HDRP 7.4.1. I have different prefab variants of "dirt" decals, each using different decal materials. I can switch those materials in the prefab or variants without any issues.

Is the issue that you change the material, but the scene doesn't reflect the new material, and just keeps showing the old decal?

If you can reproduce this reliably, you should submit a bug for it. However, I've found that often these kinds of weird HDRP issues are the result of upgrading a project from an earlier version, where they haven't ironed out all the ways that legacy data can impact the current version of an object. You might want to just create a new decal from scratch, and a new prefab/variant set from scratch, to see if this only occurs on older objects you've upgraded.

3. qidrokun

qidrokun

This is a whole new asset of a decal that I try to project onto surface like a footstep, It outputs weird warped texture that from certain directions corresponds the prints look and when i look from side at other direction it becomes a warped wavy sort of look. Project was made previously at other version but other things seem to have imported alright and with minor adjustment usually have worked nicely, I'll post a picture later on.

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Yeah, post what it looks like. It's hard to tell whether you're just describing the way decals look when they're not normal to the surface they're projecting on. For example, here's a decal looking the way it should:

upload_2020-7-23_12-12-21.png

But if I rotate the decal, it will get all stretched looking:

upload_2020-7-23_12-12-55.png

The "solution" is too be pretty careful about making sure the decals face directly into a surface, not at an angle. But let's see what you're talking about.

5. qidrokun

qidrokun

Nah, this is more about the decal warping when you turn around its local y direction, the idea is to project a decal that has "fake" geometry that is created by using parallax mapping to "push" the decal texture downwards by rendering it multiple times to the projectionsurface and thus create a hole which could be useful for many things like cracked concrete or such.

Attached Files: