Search Unity

2019.3 XR Plugin: "Peephole" black border when VR camera displayed onscreen

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by mplavcan_vrmc, Apr 9, 2020.

1. mplavcan_vrmc

mplavcan_vrmc

I'm exploring the changes need to migrate our VR product to 2019.3+.
    We are currently using OpenVR, but intend to move to the XR Plugin system. Our product typically runs on a Windows Mixed Reality headset.

Our product uses both the screen and the VR HMD: One person is operating/monitoring the system from an onscreen dashboard while another is wearing the HMD. The entire screen displays the VR view (mirroring the HMD), with an overlay of status and menus.

Starting with 2019.3.0f1, a black circular border surrounds the VR camera view on the main display.
    (See attached images of same test project across Unity versions/packages.)

XR-2019.2.png XR-2019.3.png

The effect is undesirable and prevents migrating our product.

Is this part of the new Unity XR framework or the Mixed Reality plugin?
    How can the behavior be reverted to the 2019.2 view?

Airmouse and chichichap like this.
  2. chichichap

chichichap

Got this issue seeing the black edges on the right. It appears on the editor as well as the build.

I'm on Unity 2020.3.18.

3. amit-chai

amit-chai

Same here! any fix? this also gets colors in my case. upload_2022-1-25_0-53-14.png

Airmouse likes this.
  4. aquadragon3d

aquadragon3d

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

This looks like the Occlusion Mesh view - the portion of the screen that is viewable in the headset (since in some headsets, the lenses are round and not rectangular)

For those of you using Unity 2020, do you see this behavior by default? When playing the project in the editor, there should be an option to switch from Occlusion Mesh to left eye/right eye/side by side, although it shouldn't default to occlusion mesh. What XR packages are you using and what devices are you using?

For those of you using Unity 2019, I couldn't get this to repro with a test project. Do you see this behavior by default? How did you create your test project?

5. sewy

sewy

We recently moved to 2021.3.0f1 and I am seeing the same problem. We are using the mirror screen as well. I've updated the project from 2019.4.18f1 where we were using VR in Player settings, after upgrade to 2021 and install of XR Package management it appeared.

For those of you using Unity 2020, do you see this behavior by default?
    Yes

...option to switch from Occlusion Mesh to left eye/right eye/side by side...
    There is, but the problem can be seen even when left/right eye is selected. No difference between Both eyes and Occlusion Mesh.

What XR packages are you using...
    XR Plugin Management 4.2.1

What devices are you using...

Oculus Rift

upload_2022-4-20_10-43-59.png

Airmouse likes this.
  6. Airmouse

Airmouse

Same issue Unity 2019 dark edges in render texture, I assume this will never be fixed for Unity 2019 since support for the editor was dropped?

The dark edges are also visible when manually rendering Physical Cameras, which makes no sense at all. Why is physical camera concerned with the HMD regions?

7. sunnybr

sunnybr

Got this issue seeing the black edges on the right. It appears on the editor as well as the sarkari result.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  8. sunnybr

sunnybr

For those of you using Unity 2020, do you see this behavior by default? When playing the project in the editor, there should be an option to switch from Occlusion Mesh to left eye/right eye/side by side, although it shouldn't default to occlusion mesh. What XR guide are you using and what devices are you using?

9. unity_92EAD5CD258364ED46DC

unity_92EAD5CD258364ED46DC

you may need to delete the vignette file from the project because it causes the peephole issue. it is apart of XR and you should just be able to search it. hope this helps <3