Search Unity

Bug 2019.3.x Pink Previews after switching to URP?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by blockimperium, Apr 20, 2020.

1. blockimperium

blockimperium

I created a *NEW* project with the URP and brought in all of my assets. I then has Unity create new materials for them by using "Edit->Render Pipeline->Universal Render Pipeline->Upgrade Project Materials to UniversalRP Materials".

When I add the prefabs to the project they display properly, but in Project window, the previews of these prefabs are (mostly) pink. Some prefabs appear to manually be previewing properly, but the vast majority of them are pink.

I have tried having Unity reimport everything, but that does nothing useful. Any thoughts?

upload_2020-4-20_1-23-15.png

marcospgp and MoMonay like this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

In my own experiences the auto-conversion process only works on a small range of material types. Everything else has to be converted by hand.

3. blockimperium

blockimperium

The weird part is that they are rendering just fine when displayed in the scene view or in the preview window in the inspector:

upload_2020-4-20_1-33-4.png
    upload_2020-4-20_1-33-35.png

It is just the preview in the Project window that it's broken.

upload_2020-4-20_1-34-13.png

4. blockimperium

blockimperium

Received a response from Unity on how to fix this.

Select all of the Prefabs that are showing up pink. In the inspector click on the Cog/Gear and select Reset. Problem resolved!

upload_2020-4-22_16-19-6.png

5. Ramsus_Vinner

Ramsus_Vinner

Reimport fixed it too

6. rlalancette

rlalancette

Re-import did not work. Reset did. I had pink only in the project section, not in the preview or in my scene.

Arathorn_J and Arlorean like this.
  7. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

We encountered the same problem after importing a lot of assets in a project using 2019.4.11.

Re-importing those assets or deleting the Library folder did not fix the problem.
    Re-importing all the assets sometimes break previews that were previously fine.
    Re-importing a limited selection of assets at a time seems to work so my guess is that there is something broken when importing a lot of assets at once.

However, using the "Reset" menu on the prefabs did fix the problem (although it seems to do one asset at a time so it is slow). Files on the disk are not modified by this process so I guess this does something in the asset database/library to fix the issue.
    Does anyone have any information as to what that "Reset" menu does ?

I have not tested if this is a problem with AssetDatabase V2 or not but I never encountered that kind of issue before.
    Edit: I can now confirm that this issue does not appear when using the AssetDatabase V1.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. marcospgp

marcospgp

Same problem here, none of the solutions presented worked - not reimporting nor resetting.

Unity version 2020.2.0f1

URP version 10.2.2

9. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

marcospgp likes this.
  10. Flamesilver

Flamesilver

Clicking 3 dots then "Reset" worked for 3 out of 4 prefabs selected, so I clicked on the one that didn't work, went into the actual model of the asset, clicked the checkbox next to the model name to uncheck to disable, then clicked again to re-enable, and a new proper thumbnail was generated.

robin0141 likes this.
  11. JasonBSteele

JasonBSteele

When I tried the Reset on the Prefab I lost the link the Material and had to re-add it (undo didn't work).

This is still an issue in 2020.3.9f1

upload_2021-7-22_16-30-27.png

12. ShantekDev

ShantekDev

This worked for me. Thank you! Was driving me crazy

13. larowka

larowka

The "reset" didn't help me, but if you right-click on the prefab and click "properties" , and then turn off and on the "Mesh renderer", then the preview of the prefab will start to display correctly. If your prefab consists of several "mesh renderers", then inside the prefab repeat the same for each one.

upd.: It turns out that it's enough just to turn off and turn on the display of the entire prefab.

Attached Files:

14. RitabrataKabiraj

RitabrataKabiraj

Well after resetting it fixed some of it, but didn't completely, so another trick is by clicking on properties of the prefab(s) and then toggling off or on the "Dynamic Occlusion" resolved it.Also, Change the "Rendering Layer" to all that fixes it.

hase2550 and Isgame-Studio like this.
  15. Elektordi

Elektordi

Got the same problem since few days ago, but the reset was not enough...
    The only way to fix it was to select prefab (one or multiple) disable the root (uncheck to box under "Root in Prefab Asset") and enable it again (recheck the same box).

It did not work for prefab variants through...

16. Haxel0rd

Haxel0rd

Note:
    after trying all the above solutions (refresh, reimport, reset, etc.)
    make sure to hit "CTRL+S" to save the project - only after that, the
    thumbnails are updated (it happens right aways once you ctrl+s).

Update Nov2022:
    Just came across a case where even my above solution didn't
    work out anymore. Here's another solution: mark all pink objects
    (in editor or unity project folder view- doesn't matter works both),
    then use enable/disable checkmark in inspector, should then load
    all previews properly. For shaders/materials, mark all, then use
    checkmark to check/uncheck a random property.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  17. frbrz

frbrz

THANK YOU

joe-slone, ZevBlack and Haxel0rd like this.
  18. Rootbeard

Rootbeard

THIS IS THE ANSWER

Haxel0rd likes this.
  19. malik1

malik1

I tried all of the above and was still getting pink. Adding and removing a component in the prefab seemed to have manually forced the preview the change.

20. zimmerfreack

zimmerfreack

Trash Engine...

21. Sarudan

Sarudan

Clearly you're an uneducated troll. Making posts like this is a useless effort to gain attention. Please get a life and stop bothering people.

22. ozoner

ozoner

Had the same pink issue on my prefabs after conversion to URP ,here is how I solved it. Simply selected the prefab un-checked the root and re-checked it back on and saved the project. This worked for me. You can also select all prefabs in a specific directory turn off then on the root, but give it some time if you have a lot of them in a single directory. Running Unity version 2020.3.31f1 on a M1 Mac mini at this moment.

23. robin0141

robin0141

Reset /Reimport didn't work .This uncheck enable worked on 2021.3.13.f1 .Did for 1 and all thumbnails were generated.
    Thanks

24. Entretoize

Entretoize

The only thing that worked for me is just restarting unity...

25. jRocket

jRocket

Still happens in 2022.2. Unity really needs to fix these little bugs. Thumbnails are something that should just work.

26. Fixinator

Fixinator

Been fighting with this all night, with varying degrees of success across every suggested fix. The one that seems to work consistently for me is to reset the transform of the prefabs. Even if they're already at 1,1,1, resetting it got my thumbnails to display correctly.

27. voidslayer9000

voidslayer9000

Ok so after I got this wonderful issue and tried everything in this post to no avail I tried a desperate move of control + d on one prefab inside the project window and it fixed every single pink prefab even in other folders that were fixed I hope this helps some of you

28. melos_han_tani

melos_han_tani

Hello, we found this "fun" bug recently in 2021.3.20f1. The aforementioned solutions worked for all prefabs that were imported from other software or made in unity.

For us, the case that doesn't work is when it's a prefab we've generated using tools (we have a tool to create meshes, then create a prefab with that mesh on a mesh filter). For some reason those prefabs would turn magenta, and the only thing that solved it was to:

1. Delete the asset (lol)
    2. save the scene
    3. Use version control to undelete the asset.

This fixes the thumbnail... phew!

God Help Us All!