Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback 2019.3: Deleting assets inside Unity is significantly slower than deleting them via Windows Explorer

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Peter77, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Since you introduced AssetDatabase v2 in Unity 2019.3, I thought I let you know that deleting assets in Unity is significantly slower than deleting them via Windows Explorer.

This was always the case with Unity, but because you rework AssetDatabase, it could be a great oppurtinity for you to shine here.

Please improve AssetDatabase v2 to be (almost) as fast as deleting those assets through Explorer.

Xarbrough, ROBYER1, Grizmu and 3 others like this.
  2. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

Thanks for the heads up. Just to verify, this is only occurs using 2019.3 and Asset database V2?

Prodigga likes this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Nope, deleting assets in Unity was always significantly slower than using Windows Explorer. It's not bound to 2019.3 or AssetDatabase V2.

I just posted it, because you rework(ed) AssetDatabase and I thought while you're at it and everything is still fresh in the head due to the rework, you want to improve deleting performance as well.

Lars-Steenhoff and ROBYER1 like this.
  4. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

A very reasonable request.

Thanks again for bringing it up.

no00ob, Lars-Steenhoff and Peter77 like this.
  5. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

@Peter77

We have discussed this issue within the team. We know what the root cause is and what it would take to resolve.

While this is something that we would like to fix soon, it will not be possible to land it in 2019.3.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Martin

no00ob, Xarbrough and hippocoder like this.
  6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Hi Martin, thanks for the update and thanks to the team who were discussing it! I'm looking forward to any improvements in this area in future Unity versions.

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus