Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.3.0f5 No audio on iOS device

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by lostminds, Jan 20, 2020.

1. lostminds

lostminds

Hello,

I just tried building my project in 2019.3.0f5 and running it via XCode on my iOS device and it seems all game audio is now gone. Audio still works as it should in the editor, and has worked in previous 2019.3 builds on the device as well.

I was checking if the new version had fixed a previous bug regarding muting of background audio (or not) at app launch, but now instead is seems that all game audio is muted instead.

Is this a known problem being worked in, and is anyone else having the same problem?

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue with a reproduction project?

3. lostminds

lostminds

I was unable to send a bug report from the editor to submit a reproduction project. Picking "Help" -> "Report bug..." does nothing (I guess that's also a bug?)

But it's easy enough to make a reproduction project that you can do yourself. Here's what I tried and got the same problem:
    - Make a new empty 3d project from Unity Hub
    - Add a sound asset (in my case a blaster wav sound effect) to the project
    - Add an AudioSource to the scene, set the AudioClip to the sound asset you imported, enable Play On Awake and Loop.

Play in the editor and you get an empty scene with the sound playing over and over. Build and run on iOS device and you I no sounds.

4. Justinasg

Justinasg

Unity Technologies

>Picking "Help" -> "Report bug..." does nothing (I guess that's also a bug?)
    You are correct, filed a report for this part. :)

gabrielesimula likes this.
  5. lostminds

lostminds

Turns out this was false alarm, sorry about that.

Long story short it turns out that the test device I was using had the ringer turned off, which also silences unity type game audio. However, I didn't notice that as I was testing background audio (like music and podcasts) that can play even if the device is in silent mode. And as the device was playing music and other app audio I incorrectly assumed it wasn't in silent mode and something was wrong with the new unity build causing it not to play any audio. While in the end it was actually an iOS system feature muting it and it works as intended.

l_f_terry and LeonhardP like this.
  6. l_f_terry

l_f_terry

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! yes, indeed it was just the hardware switch on the iPhone that was on "Mute" (Mode Silent)!!!! :)