Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.3.0f1 simply does not work

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Xtro, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Xtro

Xtro

Just installed 2019.3.0f1
    Opened it by creating a brand new project.
    It complained about my custom layout.
    I clicked "use default layout".
    Unity.exe is still running in task manager but there is no window on the screen.
    Waited for a while. Just nothing happens.
    Killed the exe.
    Run it again.
    It complained again.
    I clicked "reset to factory".
    Same result.
    Nice job Unity.
    Sorry if I'm toxic.

2. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

Is it possible that the window was moved off screen?

3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

At least you are self-aware. ;)

This sounds like something that wouldn't go unnoticed, so it must be very specific. Have you tried rebooting your computer or re-installing Unity one more time? If nothing helps, you should report an issue via the bug reporter tool. Simply make a screen recording and a short description while you are trying to create the new project. The report automatically includes some system information and logs, which may help, even if QA can't reproduce the issue on their machines.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

That hasnt happened on any of the 10+ installations we have, all on different hardware. Its specific to you buddy.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

As @Xarbrough pointed out, please submit a bug report for this issue if it persists so we can have a look at your editor log.

6. Xtro

Xtro

I just installed it to a second computer. The same result.
    The first one was Win7. The second is Win10.

7. Driven

Driven

Maybe you have to wait longer. For me 2018.3 beta versions also need like up to 15 minutes to open. Opening it in unity 5 works kind of instant feeling wise . Whenever I have to open my project I can already start watching series on Netflix or cook something but afterwards it's ready.

8. Xtro

Xtro

I'm opening it with a brand new project which is created with the same version; not upgrading an existing project. It doesn't show a progress window. Once, I waited for somehow long time, the same result.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you create a dump file by right clicking Unity.exe in task manager after it's been stuck for at least 2-3 minutes and pressing "Create dump file" and PM it to me?

10. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Could be related to your network? Are you behind a firewall? I believe the licensing system or package manager might want to connect to the servers.
    Also, are you using the hub to start and install your editor? We moved the licensing handling to the hub, so starting the editor directly will probably not work.

11. Xtro

Xtro

I see the unity.licence.client.exe in the task manager. You may be right. I'm not behind a filewall as far as I know. 2 computers I tried are in different locations. One at home, the other in the office. I can try to disable the norton virus protection when I get home tonight. For the office, I can't do anything.

Yes I'm using the hub. Normally, hub is able to connect to licencing server because it reminds me that my licence is up-to-date frequently.

What can I do If I'm behind a firewall in the office?

12. Xtro

Xtro

13. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

I just heard from the hub team that they might have introduced a problem with the environment variables and proxies passed to the editor. They will release a 2.2.2 version ASAP to address the issue and it might fix your problem.

14. Xtro

Xtro

YAY!

15. Xtro

Xtro

In the mean time, can you give me a link of an older hub version which doesn't have this problem?

16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

So the dump suggests there's a dialog open titled "Failed to load window layout" with the following text: "This can happen if layout contains custom windows and there are compile errors in the project.". The options are "Load Default Layout", "Revert Factory Settings" and "Quit".

Did you by any chance capture a dump while the dialog was up instead of after pressing "Load default layout" when the editor was in "stuck" state?

17. Xtro

Xtro

That dialog pops up couple of times. It disappears after I click "use default" couple of times.
    I also tried "reset to factory setttings" button. NADA!

This happens exactly the same on completely different 2 computers. Win 7 at home, Win 10 at work.

18. Xtro

Xtro

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

So Unity doesn't actually freeze? It keeps popping up dialogs? Sorry, I'm trying to figure out what's going on there.

Was the dump captured when the dialog was visible or after it disappeared for good?

20. Xtro

Xtro

The dump was captured long after the dialog disappeared. And yes the dialog disappears after couple of times.

21. Xtro

Xtro

I'm desperate for an older hub version which doesn't cause that issue right now... Please...

22. Xtro

Xtro

I tried starting 2019.3 with Hub 2.1.0.
    Same result. :(

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

To be honest from looking at the dump, I highly doubt the hub is responsible.

Could you try the following?

Create an empty directory, and in there create two empty folders: "Assets" and "ProjectSettings". Then, point hub to open this "project". Does Unity start? If it does, could you try reinstalling Unity? It could be that some of the templates (from which new projects are created) are corrupted.

24. Xtro

Xtro

I just noticed f3 was up. I installed it. It works. I see the new Unity UI for the first time. YAY!!!

I guess this problem of f1 is history now.

Interesting coincidence that f3 was uploaded right after I download f1 :) :)

LeonhardP likes this.
  25. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Okay I'm glad it's solved :).

LeonhardP likes this.