Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved 2019.3.0f1 is unusable

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by laessnb, Nov 30, 2019.

1. laessnb

laessnb

I updated to 2019.3.0f1 today and the editor is completely plagued with crashes. I was already getting multiple crashes per day with betas 8 through 10. Not only has this not improved for the release candidate, it has gotten far worse. And what compounds this problem is that the bug reporter doesn't pop up at all -- the whole thing just dies. I've been using Unity for over a decade, and have never seen such an unstable release, especially one that is supposedly in the release candidate stage.

Editor logs show nothing.

I deleted Library and re-imported. Literally the first time I tabbed into Unity afterwards and tried to press Play, it crashed to desktop.

I'm not using SRP or DOTS or any fancy features. Just trying to use my project codebase, one that has been battle-tested since 2014 on multiple shipped titles. When I submit crash reports with my project attached, I get them closed as not reproducible.

And this is not to mention the countless issues with the editor not properly having focus when I tab back in from Visual Studio, or spinning an hourglass every time I tab back in, unlike every previous version that has worked like a charm.

I've used and championed Unity for over a decade because it has always represented the high water mark for speed of iteration and stability. This is very frustrating.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Lahcene, noio, jdtec and 3 others like this.
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

charlesb_rm likes this.
  3. laessnb

laessnb

Sure thing. I just read your instructions, set up the reg keys, tabbed to Unity, hit Play, then tried to fire my main character's weapon and it froze, then crashed. It generated a 3.5GB minidump. Happy to upload it wherever.

4. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

Short freeze then crash without bug report and a very big mini dump sounds like a stack overflow.

laessnb likes this.
  5. laessnb

laessnb

Good point. I downgraded the project to 2019.2 and it has worked flawlessly all day, so at least superficially it doesn't seem like something obviously wrong with the project code or assets. But maybe something in the project isn't interacting nicely with some new feature in 2019.3.0f1.

6. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

I had one overflow in asset importing due to v2 pipeline. It was bad code but previously it didn't end that catastrophiccaly. Otherwise 2019.3 isivery stable for me.

I would suggest trying if v1 pipeline works. As your issue seems to be very deterministic it should be easy to locate the cause using the debugger.

laessnb and ReaktorDave like this.
  7. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

I don't have a repro-case, but experienced this with the new pipeline multiple times, too.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

You downgraded it instead of loading a previous version?

Anyway, there is no hurry, 2019.3.0f1 is only a release candidate, barely out of beta. Things will improve in the future; you'd better keep to 2019.2 in the meantime.

9. laessnb

laessnb

Yeah, to test it out.

It's about the trajectory, where from beta 8, to 10, to 0f1, things have gotten way worse with 2019.3. And if we don't speak up now, we'll potentially be stuck with a crippled release for many months once it's officially considered shippable.

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you put it on Google Drive or Dropbox or somewhere similar and PM me a link to download it? Otherwise, I can give you an FTP URL to upload the file to. Make sure to compress/zip it before uploading - the dump files compress really well. It will save you time uploading.

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hey so I figured it out. It is caused by "Error Pause" option in the console:

upload_2019-12-2_12-57-33.png

What it essentially does is that it pauses game execution when any kind of error is logged. The problem happens when an error gets logged on a background thread... and we internally try to pause the execution from there: the code isn't thread safe and crashes.

You can work around these crashes by disabling "Error Pause" option until we fix it.

Rallix, aschtronaut, konsic and 5 others like this.
  12. laessnb

laessnb

Wow, that was fast. Yes, I always run with Error Pause enabled, and will disable it for now. Thank you. I look forward to 2019.3 crossing the finish line.

MadeFromPolygons and Peter77 like this.
  13. Sholari

Sholari

PLEASE NOTE: I experienced the same conditions in Unity 2019.2.11f1, and turning off Error Pause fixed the problem for me as well. The actual error that I can now see (which is not fatal with Error Pause turned off) is:

Curl error 35: Handshake did not perform verification. UnityTls error code: 7

Best,
    Andrew

laessnb likes this.