Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.3.0b9 is missing package meta files

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by trojanfoe_, Nov 2, 2019.

1. trojanfoe_

trojanfoe_

I am getting this error in 2019.3.0b9 which I did not get with b8.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Asset Packages/com.unity.2d.path/Editor/Handles has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.
    2. Asset Packages/com.unity.2d.spriteshape/Editor/Handles has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.
    I have closed down Unity, removed the Library folder, and fired Unity back up but the same error occurs.

Package versions:
    2D Path 2.0.3
    2D SpriteShape 3.0.6

O/S:
    macOS 10.15.1

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's also in 2020.1. To get rid of it, you need to remove the 2D Sprite Shape package.

3. mysticcoder

mysticcoder

Not much help for anyone using the SpriteShape package...

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  4. thelebaron

thelebaron

Getting this with hdrp in b9 too

5. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

6. TimonSpringlab

TimonSpringlab

I also have this happening with the LWRP/URP in 2019.3.0b9 with the same two packages:
    2d.path & 2d.spriteshape

7. mountblanc

mountblanc

Not fixed in 2019.3.0b10

alia_0 likes this.
  8. mysticcoder

mysticcoder

Confirmed SpriteShape 3.0.6 not fixed in 2019.3.0b10 (for Mac at least).

Error is "Asset Packages/com.unity.2d.spriteshape/Editor/Handles has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored."
    Looking at the call stack in the inspector it happens during [EditorApplication applicationDidBecomeActive] so to test just deactivate Unity editor window and activate it again.

Package version 3.0.6 has a Handles folder in the stated Library/PackageCache/... folder path, version 3.0.5 does not. Reverting to 3.0.5 does not report the error but I have been using 3.0.6 with 2019.3.0b8 so I'll stick to that until it's fixed.

9. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Hi, we are aware of the issue and we are preparing a fix for it at the moment. Thanks!

crashTX likes this.
  10. StarFluke

StarFluke

Thanks for preparing a fix. Still not fixed in b11, Sprite Shape 3.0.7 :confused:

11. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

I just checked with b11 and 2D Sprite Shape 3.0.7 and I don't see the issue.
    StarFluke: can you confirm these were the versions you used? and if you still get the error, can you post it here?

12. mountblanc

mountblanc

For me its fixed after updating to 3.0.7 using B11. Thanks! does spamming errors drove me nuts.

charlesb_rm likes this.
  13. afshin_a_1

afshin_a_1

14. Mazzaleek

Mazzaleek

not fixed still. 2019.3.12 trying to use one of the tutorials

15. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Is this related to SpriteShape?

16. DanDMan

DanDMan

Can confirm - I'm also going through a tutorial and having this issue. It actually made it so some of the functionality of the demo no longer work because the packages are no longer importing properly into the Scene. I thought I somehow broke the camera, but then realized the Cinemachine camera was missing all the scripts on it because it couldn't find the package contents anymore. I'm working through the Ruby's Adventure: 2D beginner. FWIW, I have the following packages and only have the audio tutorial left:
    2D Sprite
    2D Tilemap Editor
    Cinemachine (not empty)
    Custom NUnit (now empty)
    Rider Editor (now empty)
    Test Framework (now empty)
    TextMesh Pro (now empty)
    Timeline (now empty)
    Unity Collaborate (now empty)
    Unity UI
    Visual Studio Code Editor (now empty)

I left the project up on my mac and let the machine go to sleep - been working on it for the past 3-4 days, so not sure if that impacts this or not. I'll try quitting and re-opening the tutorial for the audio tutorial tomorrow to see if that helps, but would be great to get this resolved though I'd like to see my final product working throughout the tutorials!

17. DanDMan

DanDMan

Update - I'm a noob! Quitting Unity asked me to save my project - I guess the whole time I haven't had it saved. In doing so and re-opening the project, all the packages have been found. So anyone else who runs into this issue when running the tutorials give that a go! Hope this helps someone!

18. HEATH3N

HEATH3N

19. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Missing .meta files are usually a package issue. They are not blocking issues as the Asset Database from Unity will generate a default one (internally) but it should be fixed on the package to avoid any problems.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  20. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Getting this with the Shader graph package now, very annoying as it spams my console with this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Asset Packages/com.unity.shadergraph/ValidationConfig.json has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Radivarig likes this.
  21. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

what version of shadergraph are you using?

ROBYER1 likes this.
  22. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

9.0.0-preview.55.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  23. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

ok, the team is aware and it will be fixed in the next released preview package

Radivarig and Hanoke like this.
  24. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Thanks, is there a tentative release date for an out of preview URP 9.0? I am stuck on it in preview packages due to some major XR fixes for Oculus Quest implemented in it.

25. oliiix

oliiix

2020.1.6f1:
    Asset Packages/com.unity.timeline/Editor/inspectors has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored

26. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

what version of timeline do you have in your project?

27. AdminAvvy

AdminAvvy

Hi Charles! Can it be fixed in 9.0 branch?! I saw that this was fixed in 10.0.0, but we cannot update the Unit to 2020.2b to use this package. ShaderGraph 10.0 is not compatible with Unity 2020.1

28. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

I'm sure the next 9.x.x version will have a fix for this.

29. squarelover

squarelover

30. yahorkleban

yahorkleban

NOT fixed in 2020.3.4. I have just a sample project with only Unity UI elements without any xDRP pipelines.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/EventSystem has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/Properties has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/UI has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/UnityEditor.UI.asmdef has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/Properties has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UI has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UnityEngine.UI.asmdef has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/EventSystem has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/Properties has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/UI has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Editor/UnityEditor.UI.asmdef has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/Properties has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UI has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UnityEngine.UI.asmdef has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

31. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

I don't where you took this Asset Package but this is not coming from the Package Manager. You can delete this folder and use the one that's bundled with 2020.3.4 by installing it from the Package Manager (package is called Unity UI).

32. Bruno_100

Bruno_100

Hi, I'm having some issues related to the unity packages.
    Every time I create a new Unity Project I'm forced to enter in safe mode and then I get this console errors:

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/CHANGELOG.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/LICENSE.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/package.json has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/README.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/CHANGELOG.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/CONTRIBUTING.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/LICENSE.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/package.json has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/Rider/Editor has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/Rider/Editor/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/CHANGELOG.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/CONTRIBUTING.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration/AssemblyNameProvider.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration/ProjectGeneration.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration/ProjectGenerationFlag.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/LICENSE.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/package.json has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/CHANGELOG.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/LICENSE.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/package.json has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ext.nunit/README.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/CHANGELOG.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/CONTRIBUTING.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/LICENSE.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/package.json has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/Rider/Editor has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.rider/Rider/Editor/Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/CHANGELOG.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/CONTRIBUTING.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration/AssemblyNameProvider.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration/ProjectGeneration.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/Editor/ProjectGeneration/ProjectGenerationFlag.cs has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/LICENSE.md has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Asset Packages/com.unity.ide.vscode/package.json has no meta file, but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ide.vscode@1.2.3\Editor\VSCodeScriptEditor.cs(142,29): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProjectGenerationFlag' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ide.vscode@1.2.3\Editor\VSCodeScriptEditor.cs(20,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IGenerator' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.ide.vscode@1.2.3\Editor\VSCodeScriptEditor.cs(247,57): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IGenerator' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I found out that to fix this and to exit the safe mode automatically I had to remove 2 specific packages:
    • JetBrains Rider Editor
    • Visual Studio Code Editor
    But with this approach, I had a few console errors (which didn't interfere) and for that, I had to remove 2 more packages in my project to have no console errors:
    • Visual Studio Editor
    • Test FrameWork

Conclusion

I know how to fix this issue but the problem is that every time I create a new project I have to go throw this which didn't happen some time ago. I don't find this right, and I did reinstall Unity and Unity Hub a few times, but nothing worked. Any suggestion on how to fix this definitely?

P.S- I'm using the 2020.3.15f2 LTS but I used other older versions and it's the same outcome.

33. Bruno_100

Bruno_100

Hi, guys for anyone in the future if you have this similar error just go throw a total uninstall of Unity and Unity Hub.
    This post helped me with that
    After this, I reinstalled Unity Hub and Unity and everything worked like before! :)

the_rings_of_saturn likes this.
  34. yonatanab1

yonatanab1

2021 and this is still a thing, no updates to packages or anything fixed that.
    i cant open any project with hdrp in it. absolutly nothing...
    i tried upgrading my existing project and also opening a clean new HDRP Preset project and they both give 80+ errors.
    i tried running as admin, fixing stuff, changing packages but nothing works.
    the only solution i found is to open the project on unity 2019, which makes HDRP work like magic, but my project is built on 2021 multiplayer systems that wont work on 2019 so i cant switch sadly :(

is there any new solution or anything i can do to make unity 2021 run with HDRP On it?

here are some of the noticeable errors:
    upload_2021-12-21_15-38-24.png
    upload_2021-12-21_15-38-47.png

BALIK_001 likes this.
  35. CyzerStudio

CyzerStudio

Unity, why is this still a problem?

36. pascalsender

pascalsender

yeah really unity what is this seems to happen to alot of packages ?
    same problem here and i did not import the package new it just happend now only way is i lose a week of work and load my backup

37. olegkuzyk

olegkuzyk

I've found the solution!

Need to clean folder with cached packages on your disk. For mac os it's <user_folder>/Library/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com. Just remove folders of packages. It's hidden folder. Use Shift-Command-.(dot) to show hidden files/folders.

Also, you may need to clean Library/PackageCache folder from your project. Or just remove whole Library folder.

unity_lirq36mV5RoqMQ likes this.
  38. yonatanab1

yonatanab1

I Tried this already, this doesn't work.
    the problem is with how unity works. you can't get access to the source code so there is no reason for this to work on new hard drives on a pc.

the solution is to completly reinstall unity on the same disk where the operating system is sitting on.

39. ChristiTD

ChristiTD

40. Anavern

Anavern

I got the fix!!

Had this error and it was the cause of so much grief. I tried clearing the cache, doing a complete delete and reinstall of unity and unity hub and still the error persisted. I tried re-importing all packages a voila! It's fixed.

I have no idea if this will work for others but have a go.

P.s Im using unity 2021.3.1f1 LTS
    Good lickm

41. janjmulder

janjmulder

Thank You Anavern !

42. GabCoelho

GabCoelho

Hi guys, i found one more solution for "but it's in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored." I opened de unity in safe mode, and updated the 2D package through package manager. In my case, the 2D animation package was having the issue.

I only did this!

Attached Files:

43. SurreyMuso

SurreyMuso

I had a similar problem starting with the bas 3D URP template. For some reason, it was using a very outdated Package. I updated the URP Package to the latest (in my case 12.1.7) and errors disappeared.

44. standardcombo

standardcombo

I'm getting the same issue with the Apple.Core package in Unity 2021.3.18f1 (OSX).
    Followed the tutorials from Apple on installing their plugins.

I have tried, to no success:

- Saving the project
    - Restarted Unity and Hub
    - Removed and reimported the package
    - I only have one hard drive
    - Launched Unity with root privileges
    - Changed the permissions on the Library folder (and all descendants) to read/write
    - Shut down Unity and nuked the whole Library folder
    - Safe mode is not offered in my case, when opening the project, so that is not an option to try

Edit: Tried importing into a blank project, as well as moving the project/package to other contexts on disk. No good so far.

Solution: In the case of the Apple packages, they have omitted the .meta files. In fact, it's even in the .gitignore files to not distribute the .meta files. The solution is to generate the .meta files locally and rebuild the packages.
    1. Open the Unity projects. E.g. ~/<Proj Locaction>/plug-ins/Apple.Core/Apple.Core_Unity
    - This generates the .meta files
    2. Close the project.
    3. Repeat for each package you plan to import, opening each project.
    4. Regenerate the plugins with the build.py script.
    5. In the destination project, open Package Manager. Remove then re-install each package, following their instructions (tarball method).
    6. Go to the project's Library folder and delete the PackageCache subfolders corresponding to each plugin.
    7. Return to the Unity project. Clear the console to get rid of errors.
    8. Refresh packages to make sure errors are gone. This is done by changing focus to another application (Alt-Tab), then give focus back to Unity.
    You can further confirm it's fixed by going to the Library package cache folders and checking if the .meta files are all there.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  45. SrNull

SrNull

That was driving me nuts, Thank you so much ! your solution worked perfectly, ♥️

46. drhousemd

drhousemd

hey SrNull, I wanted to pm you, but there's no forum option for that, so I'm leaving this message for you here:
    On the asset store, there's a free asset called '3DCoat to Unity', under which you left this review:
    I was wondering if you might still possibly have the working Asset3DCoat.cs file, I'd like to learn 3D Coat and it would be very helpful, cheers.