Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.3.0b2 Double-clicking on a prefab will open the text editor instead of the prefab scene view

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Singtaa, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Singtaa

Singtaa

Reproducible on a new empty project. Just double-click on any newly-made prefab in the project window and watch your code editor open up the .prefab asset for text editing.

Surely editing yaml won't be the preferred way of editing prefab going forward right? :)

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not reproducible for me. Empty project, new prefab (the camera to which a script was added). Double-clicking on the prefab opens it in the prefab scene view.

Maybe you need to take a look at Preferences/External Tools? Try using the "Open by file extension" setting for the script editor. Maybe it'll apply to everything?

3. Singtaa

Singtaa

Thanks for testing! It should be reproducible if you set External Script Editor to "Visual Studio Code". This used to not interfere with prefab editing before 2019.3.0b2.

"Open by file extension" does solve the problem. But I would like the preference to stay on "Visual Studio Code" if possible.

EvOne likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, did you mention anywhere that you had this problem on a Mac?

5. Singtaa

Singtaa

Oh no, I'm using Windows 10.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I thought Visual Studio Code was for Mac.

7. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

I think you used old version of Visual Studio Code Editor package. Updating to 1.1.2 should solve this issue.

EvOne likes this.
  8. konsic

konsic

Is there easy way to install Visual Studio Code and integrate it with Unity?

9. Baste

Baste

10. konsic

konsic

I did that. It's not that simple.

11. EvOne

EvOne

Exactly! Big Thanks! :)

But, I don’t understand - by default, I already had the "verified for 2019.3" package version 1.0.7 installed! :rolleyes:
    and with this verified support package it was so much fun:
    "2019.3.0b3 opens the scene in the Visual Studio Code"

12. alex-av

alex-av

Also reprudicible for me on Unity 2019.3.0a12, 2019.3.0b1, 2019.3.0b2 both Windows and Linux.
    I use and I want use Notepad++ on Windows and Kate on Linux as script editor.

it isn't reproducible in 2019.1.10f Windows/Linux and earlier windows version (2017.4, 2018.3), something was borken in 2019.3

13. Singtaa

Singtaa

Oh there is a Visual Studio Code Editor package now. Never crossed my mind to check for that. Thanks guys!

I'm generally pro-packages/modularity. But I guess this is one of these times it rears its ugly end.

Hopefully this can get sorted out for people not using one of the supported editors (like @alex-av above)!

14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

15. Singtaa

Singtaa

Just want to report that using 2019.3.0b3 with Visual Studio Code Editor 1.0.7 (the 2019.3 verified version) will still make prefabs and scenes open up in the text editor. So you still need to make sure you upgrade to Visual Studio Code Editor 1.1.2. (Not sure about other code editors)