Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.3.0b10 - massive performance decrease with 2d sprite/mesh deformation/animation

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by kmoosmann, Nov 6, 2019.

1. kmoosmann

kmoosmann

Hey,

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. We upgraded our project from 2019.2.5f1 to 2019.3.0b10 and are experiencing massive performance drops seemingly caused by animation.

The following scene (2019.2.5f1) is still not entirely optimized. Lots of animated sprite elements using animated sprite mesh deform to give the foliage some life) still have their own animator, was planning to put this entire scene under one single animator. But performance was pretty decent in the older build (see pre-update.jpg)

Yet, after upgrading (see post-update.jpg) - the same scene suddenly appears to run ~50% slower. The profiler says most of it is still being eaten by animation, but I thought this may be a bug becoming evident because it's sort of a fringe-case bc of the many different animators.

We tried a lot of different approaches and ruled out pretty much everything else. I mean, the profiler even clearly states it's the animation. But what I don't get is why there's suddenly such a difference between versions. Did anybody see this before?

Attached Files:

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Would it be possible for you to submit a bug report with a reproduction project?

3. kmoosmann

kmoosmann

Hello LeonhardP :) Bug report has been filed: Case 1197096

I hope it helps. We've been able to reproduce the issue on other machines as well by now and we still can't make heads or tails of it. We are currently looking into optimizing this very scene, that's how the bug came to light in the first place. The bug report project only includes the chunk you've seen in the screenshot, but that should be more than enough.

LeonhardP likes this.
  4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot! We'll investigate.

kmoosmann likes this.
  5. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Hi, which com.unity.2d.animation package are you using for 2019.2 and 2019.3?