Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback 2019.3.0b[1-6] editor feedback

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Awarisu, Aug 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awarisu

Awarisu

Updating from 2019.2 I can't help but think that the new editor look is bland. It's also worse for UX as I'll expand a little bit further below. If 2019.2 came after 2019.3 I'd be happy for the substantial GUI update, but as it is, it feels like a large step backwards.

The new icons for GameObjects look like the kind of cube that I used to draw with the line tool in Microsoft Paint when I was 5.

Text on the Inspector is more difficult to read (my eyesight is not perfect) because it's one kind of gray over another kind of gray. A lot of contrast was lost. But the Project and Hierarchy tabs, as well as the values on the Inspector still use black text for some reason? It's not even consistent in being bad.

The icons for models are barely different from prefabs. I won't pretend for a moment that the previous "sheet of paper over blue cube" icon made any logical sense, but it was at least easier to tell apart at a glance, because the sheet of paper was large enough and it had a bright color to stand out. I have to stop and take another look for this one, they're so similar.

Scene icons are also bland, like you dropped the white layer from the old icon and made the black part gray instead.

The icons for folders is literally just the outline of the old one filled with a black color. Again, the entire thing is way lighter and half-blends into the background.

Buttons are also losing visual cues, for instance the "Generate Lighting" button/dropdown on the Lighting tab, although not perfect, at least had a visual cue in the form of a small vertical line that it functioned both as a button, on the left side, and as a dropdown menu, on the right side. Additionally, dropdowns had an "up/down arrow" icon to further differentiate them from this button. In 2019.3 "Generate Lighting" looks literally the same as any regular non-button dropdowns on the same panel, with absolutely nothing to differentiate them, yet it still works as a button if you click the text, unlike the other dropdowns that now look the same, which open a menu.

2. Richard_Drake

Richard_Drake

I would like to add that the new icons for folders look way too similar to a missing icon/non-importable asset, when I first started it up I thought Windows shell had crashed or something.

3. Awarisu

Awarisu

"Generate Lighting" still looks identical to a drop-down box despite being mostly a button in 2019.3.0b5. It is not indicated in any perceivable way which part when clicked is a button, and which part is a menu. This is a regression from 2019.2.

4. Awarisu

Awarisu

Contrast seems to be fixed in 2019.3.0b6 (thank you!) but Generate Lighting still looks like all the other dropdown menus.

5. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

Throwing in my 2c, in package manager the icons for "update available" and "up to date" are too hard to differentiate at a glance

transat and Zepa like this.
  6. DigitalSalmon

DigitalSalmon

The [Header] attribute spacing is pretty off - Needs to be higher (and work with DPI scaling).

Arrays (and structs) draw with a header that is a slightly bigger font than other fields, which looks awful.

The left-spacing on lots of text (Account/Layers/Default, Center/Local, Inspector Fields, Gizmos button in scene view) is too small, making it feel too tight.

The ScriptableObject icon is a bit of a miss, in our view. It's okay in "icon" view, but if you use "list" in the project window, they look pretty poor. Also red/orange and blue is, subjectively, not working here.

There are two styles of icons right now, which aren't very coherent. There are 'filled' (Game, Asset Store, Prefab, Scene) and 'line' (Scriptable Object, Center, Local) icons. The filled ones read infinitely better at small scales.

The 'Play, Pause, Frame Skip' buttons at the top might as well be a bit wider. You smash them all the time, and there is so much space around them, could be nice to make them easier to hit.

To us, the inspector looks best (on a 1440p monitor) at 125% scaling; but the new font reads as just slightly too big. Would love to be able to just make it a smidge smaller. Appriciate pixel blurring issues come up, so this might be impossible.

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

zombiegorilla likes this.
  8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.