Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback 2019.3.0a7 - New UI accessibility issue, font rendering & colors are low contrast

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by midoski, Jul 2, 2019.

1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This should be fixed in f4.

2. fherbst

fherbst

Oh, cool, and thanks for linking the f4 build! I was wondering why some people mentioned it. Downloading now!... got a couple of new bugs to run through ;)

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. Vincent13122

Vincent13122

The new green script icon color in 2019.3.0f5 just does not fit and looks really unappealing to me, the old blue we've had in every other version was so much nicer in my opinion, is there a reason this was changed?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Perhaps to match C# icon color with Visual Studio?

Visual Studio 2017 colors in Solution Explorer:
    upload_2020-1-16_9-4-6.png

Vincent13122 likes this.
  5. Vincent13122

Vincent13122

Still, I dont think it looks good, I really really preferred the blue

6. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

This new UI is not what I expected. I am not sure about the pro users but for personal users the UI is not really an improvement there are a lot of lighter colors and less contrast being used that blur the UI elements rather than bring them out. The use of color is not very good either.

The font is also not good for me because it reminds me of those days when Unity would bug out into error mode....luckily I just reverted the font back to 2019.2 in preferences.

Remember UI/UX is also about user interaction and the new UI system is not there.
    As Vincent13122 a bit of blue color mixed in would be nice as the black and white isn't always good. There's actually a very minimal use of color on the icons too which I don't like.

This is the blender white interface and as you can see the use of Blue has been used to good effect and it's all about good use of contrast. The color on all the icons is and menus is also very thick and full which is great to the eyes. I admit that Unity has a better brightness for the light theme than blender as it's too bright in the image below but the other good parts still stand such as pressable buttons being blue and solid icons.

Even with the dark theme the use of blue has been used to great effect. Gradients achieve this quite well.

I have also attached a rough job comparing a simple improvement over the current new UI and my suggestion to improve it. I still believe adding blue like the blender UI examples above is a good improvement forward.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Vincent13122 and Lorash like this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

That blender white is not pretty, but I agree that the old one had more contrast

8. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Another issue I am having is I can't tell anymore whether a prefab value has been changed or not, it used to be easy but with the new UI there is no color change like it used to be, this I would consider a serious issue.
    In all honesty just give users the option to revert back to the old 2019.2 UI until this all gets fixed.

Did this new UI get beta tested because there's no way this would pass. Unity should know by now to beta test a feature ALWAYS before it is released if practical because they have had a habit of using half their brains on a lot of releases and making users pay big time for it.

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I believe Unity displays a blue vertical line in-front of the value name now, if it's been changed.

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes it was in beta for a long time, still it would have been better to wait until 2020 for such a major ui change.
    Why ? because any fixes that are not bugs will not be integrated into 2019. and also because there is no way to switch between the old and new ui. If you could switch I would not mind to release in 2019.3.

phobos2077 likes this.
  11. Lorash

Lorash

It was beta tested but the definition of done was probably something like "are we releasing 2019.3 anyway?". Multiple people have suggested to push it back to 2020 TECH because it's clear such a massive change can't be reasonably done right before you release the pre-LTS version. f6 still has actual bugs (like text blurred, not antialiased but literally blurred) that I reported back around f4.

unityunity