Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.3.0a11 - How do I hide the grid?

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Deleted User, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

2. vakabaka

vakabaka

look under the play/pause buttons, there is new icon for the grid control

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you. :)

Very bad idea, hiding it there; It's invisible. @Charles_Beauchemin Could you put it back or keep the new icon but put back the "Show Grid" where it was before? Thank you. :)

Sans-titre-1.jpg

nailmail likes this.
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! My team is responsible for that change, it's still evolving a bit, the next final alpha version is on it's way soon.

We moved the "Show Grid" button out of the "Gizmos" drop down because:
    - "Grid" isn't really a gizmo, new users could almost never find how to turn on/off the grid. I understand that experienced users will need to re-learn, but there are some major benefits for them too (following)
    - Artists need to toggle that grid on/off regularly, opening that gizmos drop down each time is not a good workflow
    - In this update, you can also move the grid, change it's orientation, and snap to it.
    - So, we gave it a much more "front and center" visual, inside the Scene View toolbar
    - This follows the pattern of Lighting, Visual Layers, SceneVis, ie turning on/off Scene View visuals, all accessed via buttons in the Scene View Toolbar

I hope that helps make the change more logical for you :) Let me know if you have any specific questions or problems with it, thanks!

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the answer. :)

Like I said, why not keeping both: the icon where you just put it and the option in the gizmos?

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

We considered keeping both, but the Gizmos menu was just not a good place, and we preferred not to have duplicate locations to track the status. Sorry to make you search for the new location, but I think you'll find it much more useful now, especially if you use grid snapping :)

nailmail, Xarbrough and Deleted User like this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks. :)

I guess anyone can lock the thread now.

8. Da_Elf

Da_Elf

how do i hide the tilemap grid?

PoRtCuLLiS likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

In Unity 2019.2 and 2020.1, hiding the grid also hides the tilemap grid. Or at least it reduces its visibility.

10. Da_Elf

Da_Elf

that doesnt work. im on 2019.3 and hiding the grid works but it does nothing for the grid of the tilemap

Hiding the grid in 2018 was separate to the normal grid and was found under gizmos. But it has been removed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    PoRtCuLLiS likes this.
  11. Fattie

Fattie

@gabrielw_unity ,

You guys are right that the gizmos was definitely the wrong place. Good call.

It was hard to find :) but it's much better now - for the win! thanks

nailmail likes this.
  12. EDartBlade

EDartBlade

I'm looking for the same answer. The grid that that the tilemap generates, makes it hard to see what tiles are placed there from afar, and since I'm making a huge grid zooming in every time is very tedious, so simply turning it's visibility off would be great. If there's a way, I'd appreciate help in finding it. Thanks!

13. SwARion

SwARion

I know that's old question, but I figured how to hide tilemap grid, -> just change "Grid Component color" in Preferences\Colors

Attached Files:

waishan likes this.