Search Unity

2019.2 HDRP Sample Scene - black sky compute shader error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sergiusz308, Aug 31, 2019.

1. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Just created HDRP project for 2019.2, immediately skybox went black, and error popped up:

Compute shader (Deferred): Property (_SkyTexture) at kernel index (1) is not set

UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Tried to remove / add procedure sky to volume settings - no effect, each time this error occurs.

What should I do - it's a sample scene from Unity, shouldn't it just... work?

S.

2. altepTest

altepTest

So what cause this? I get this at random with new projects. Sometimes it gets fixed if I hit play a few times, other times no luck

3. altepTest

altepTest

Ok fortunately I've found what cause this (sort off)

In the Scene window there is a small "light bulb icon" button (near the "2d" button)

When creating a new project that "light bulb" button was turned off. The Scene preview will be black, sometimes when hitting play the sky will work correctly but when switching back to the Scene preview (where it had remained black) the sky will turn black in the game window also.

Good news. Just enable the "light bulb" button, hit play one or two times, the error is gone and you can work correctly.

Switching the "light bulb" back to off will bring back the error.

4. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

@dorusoftware - Thanks for suggestion. For me what helped is just creating a new project... I don't know what was the cause, but once I created a new project skybox was there. Maybe shaders needed extra time to compile, after packages update, I don't know. One more thing what I did before creating a new project is to make sure that graphics driver for Unity and Unity Hub is set to be always run using Geforce GTX device. I use laptop with two graphic cards and by default it was set to "automatic" device selection.

@Unity - I love your product, but do you devs/decision makers realize that people pay for your product with actual money, not these from Monopoly? Don't you think that sample scene should be working out of the box, just like that (it's a showcase of your tech after all), or at least display some human readable hint on what's happened and how to deal with it. I don't think that developing in Unity using this year medium spec laptop with dedicated graphics card it's a such a uncommon configuration that you skipped QA for that. Or did you? ;-)

brunomrlima likes this.
  5. SaharaBob

SaharaBob

@dorusoftware - Thank you very much! I had this issue in an existing HDRP project upgraded from 2019.1.14, and also in brand new HDRP projects.

@sergiusz308 - I second your comments.

I deliberately choose to use the "stable" 2019.2 branch because its supposed to be, well, stable. Am I being unreasonable in expecting that releases are properly QAed before release and on the odd occasion that problems do slip through that Unity release a fix, or post a realistic workaround within hours / days not weeks / months / never? I don't think we should necessarily have to wait for the community to stumble upon a work-around and be motivated enough to post it (although I'm very grateful that they do and are). Especially for issues such as this where it initially appears to be a show-stopper.

@Unity - Although we seem to have a workaround there's still a bug somewhere that needs fixing. Please?

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes they do skip QA for it. As they've said in the past, only verified packages have a full QA pass.

7. altepTest

altepTest

I will try and let you know the result but I think that unity remembers the "Scene Lighting" On - OFF button state from the last project you have worked on and then if is OFF and you create a new HDRP project it will throw that error, but (and this I will check) if it was ON when creating the new project may never show that error.

I mean when you will go and trun scene lighting ON or OFF in the editor

8. Kam360

Kam360

Light Button works! Thanks!!

9. osasere12

osasere12

i open my unity 2019.2 and i saw the black sky,how can i fix it