Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.2 alpha wow what a shocking graphics

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by petersx, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petersx

petersx

Unity! it's impressing - every new version alpha/beta/gamma/ e.t.c. is better and better.
    I think, that your teams make contests which team create version with bigger flood of errors ;)

There's a magnificient grahpics example of clean install of Unity 2019.2.alpha 04 and a very clean new project:

I very like Unity engine, but this is very frustrating, that we don't have chance to try a new version without fighting with flood of error bugs

2. M_R

M_R

it's called 'alpha' for a reason

3. petersx

petersx

No, if it's not working - this is early alpha - if they public alpha - it must working - event for a while ;)

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

It means it may work for some configurations / conditions. But is not guaranteed to be stable in every circumstances. Hence you are probably in unlucky batch.
    Best you can do, report bug, via Unity report.

Alverik likes this.
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No, not really, Alpha's don't really have any obligation to work properly. If you want something to work with stick with the released versions.

xVergilx, Alverik and Antypodish like this.
  6. Mauri

Mauri

Uhh...

(Yeah, it's for the .1 alpha, but that also counts for all future alpha versions)

Antypodish likes this.
  7. petersx

petersx

But first public alpha was ok - I know, that might have a bugs or other defects, but if it working in 0% at start - that's not ok.

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@petersx

1) It's alpha for a reason, there will not be support for all things out of the box, don't expect release or even beta experience for it. If you can't accept this, you probably shouldn't be trying alpha versions at all, they are not targeted to be all polished experiences.

2) your issues come from trying to use incompatible HDRP/PP versions on 2019.2. Just to give you an example: you can't use 2018.2 SRPs even on 2018.3. You need a set matching the HDRP and Unity API for the given engine version. By the time I write this, you need HDRP 6.x.x to have HDRP on 2019.2, but there are not yet any official 6.x.x releases out for it. Latest SRP git master does work on 2019.2 but it's WIP branch so don't expect error free experience from that either.

As a side note, I hope Unity will still keep giving the early alphas out in the future. I kind of understand why they haven't done this in past as you do get feedback and complaints like in the original post here. Maybe the Hub should have some disclaimer before you can even install betas and alphas?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Lurking-Ninja, Alverik and Antypodish like this.
  9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

For the reference, here's what HD Template looks on 2019.2.0a4 after you

a) swap to (currently work in progress) HDRP 6.0.0-preview
    b) replace old PPv2 stuff with PPv3

And rest assured, this will be done out of the box by the time 2019.2 is actually out.

Rowlan, Alverik and hippocoder like this.
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Sometimes I think, people interpreting and getting for granted software, like games with early access for example, which are in beta, or even alpha. Assuming these should be playable / in good working conditions. Obviously this is not the case.

Alverik likes this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Probably best not to respond to "alpha is bad" comments etc if someone has already mentioned it, creates more noise than it solves for this part of forum.

I ask because it's a pretty common thing, best just ignore posts from people who don't really get it, else we're contributing to noise.

I've locked this - please remember alpha strictly for people with the stomach for broken things. If that's anyone reading - Unity would love a bug report/comment about what is broken :)

Devi-User, Grizmu, Alverik and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.