Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2019.2/2019.3 and the Tilemap add-on

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by Deleted User, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi @LeonhardP

I'm currently working on the Unite Berlin 2D platformer tutorial. This tutorial needs an extra add-on that can be found here and that comes from the 2D Extras code repo.
    1. when I create a brand new 2D project in 2019.2 alpha, a "Tilemap Editor" package is automatically installed,
    2. when I import the Robbie platformer project in 2019.2 alpha, I get a whole bunch of errors related to the Tilemap addon that is present in this project, all of them in the scripts that belong to this add-on (fixing the errors is not a big deal; it mainly consists in adding namespaces "using UnityEngine.Tilemaps" and/or "using UnityEditor.Tilemaps") to the scripts.
    Sans-titre-1.jpg

What I'd like to know is: will this add-on be integrated into the future versions of 2019?

Thank you. :)

Here is the tutorial I'm talking about:

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi Anne,
    What addon are you referring to? The link you provided leads to the demo project itself.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I thought this was clear: it's the tilemap addon that is in the 2D extras code repo. (Actually, unless things have been removed from it, the 2D extras contains only the Tilemap addon.)

P.S. I've never got notification of your answer.

4. trojanfoe_

trojanfoe_

I am wondering if this splitting-out of the Tilemap Editor and moving it into a new namespace is the reason for the compile errors I am getting. I asked a question about it but received no reply. I will try tonight when I get home.

5. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

There is a new Tilemap Editor package for Unity 2019.2, which you will need for Unity 2019.2 in order to access the Tile Palette. Due to the move to the Tilemap Editor package, some classes have been moved to a Tilemap related namespace. The Unity 2019.2 upgrade guide provides some details on this to help with compilation issues you may encounter.

Regarding the 2D Extras repository, the current default branch "master" targets to latest official version of Unity, which is 2019.1. If you wish to make use of it for the Unity 2019.2 beta, you will need to use the branch "package_2019.2" which can be found here. The README on the page provides instructions on how to make use of this branch with your project.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions of this, do post them here.

deezero7 likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi and thank you for your answer.

What I wanted to know specifically was it the 2D Extras repository contents would be added as a package for 2019, whatever the version, in the future.

7. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Currently, there are no plans to make the 2D Extras as a full package. We do want to make it easier to access in the future as a link under the existing Tilemap Editor package like with Samples with the Sprite Shape package.

Deleted User likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, that seems fair enough. I really wish you included it into the current Tilemap package though. ;)

9. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

Hi @APSchmidt. Thanks for highlighting this. I'd love to know more!
    Which extras from the package did you need for the tutorial, and which extras would you find most useful to be included as more easily accessible samples?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, I guess the tutorial uses all of its contents so I'd like to see the whole of it added! :)

The 2D Extras contents only a Tilemap directory that contents mainly scripts; you can explore them here and compare with the current package: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/2d-extras.

I took a look in 2019.1.6f1 and 2019.3.0a5: no Rule Tile in the current integrated Tilemap package. So, basically, I'd like the whole 2D Extras to be added to 2019.1, 2019.2 and 2019.3. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
  11. kerbalette

kerbalette

It would be awesome to see the Rule Tile integrated into 2019.2, perhaps I am mistaken but I cannot see this. I don't think installed 2d-extras into 2019.2 is a wise choice as the Tile Palette is already there

12. shiyason

shiyason

I am following a 2d tutorial from unity "Ruby's Adventure" and it says to click on the following to create a tile:

Assets > Create > Tile

But the "Tile" option is not there!! Does any one know what might be the problem?
    Also, I tried to find the "Tile Palette" window, but it's no where to be found neither

Window > 2D > ... nothing

Answering my own question and leaving it here for future users arriving by way of google search.

Go to Window > Package Manager > search and install "2D Tilemap Editor"

ByYear likes this.
  13. age401

age401

Hey guys, has the RULE TILE functionality been completely removed?
    I thought it was great. I'm working on my first 2D title, and after watching many tutorials as to how to work with sprites, I really think that was an awesome feature. Perhaps there's a new way to mimic this functionality that I'm missing?

14. theforgot3n1

theforgot3n1

I can see the rule tile. Right click in the project folder. Go to "Create", then go to "Tiles" and then choose any of the rule tiles (for example "Rule Tile") and that should be it.

If these instructions are not lining up with your editor, I imagine it may be because you have not downloaded and installed the 2D-extras library. (Check the first post to find it)