Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

[2019.2.0f1][Bug] Cloth component seems to not work properly in some situations

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SupraLP, Aug 11, 2019.

1. SupraLP

SupraLP

i am creating content for an upcoming game and i have made a custom humanoid model in blender, that i exported as an FBX and imported into unity then. until now i was able to use cloth on that models skirt. But after upgrading to 2019.2 setting up cloth is wierd and its gravity is reversed. Sometimes it freaks out completely... For testing i have put cloth on a plane and that worked without any issues. I don't know, why cloth acts so wierd on my custom mesh. on 2019.1.10f1, 2017.4.15f1 and 2017.4.28f1 it worked perfectly fine.

upload_2019-8-11_11-19-9.png
    upload_2019-8-11_11-19-43.png
    this is another approach, with the skirt isolated...
    upload_2019-8-11_11-31-10.png

if you want that skirt for reproducing and testing, ask me. i can give you the isolated skirt. But you should be able to archieve the very same results with any mesh (with or without armature, doesn't matter) from blender (and probably any other 3D modelling software)...

2. PiggyBanks

PiggyBanks

I have the exact same problem!

upload_2019-8-13_12-56-54.png

It was fine this morning before I updated from 2019.1 to 2019.2. Let me know if you find a fix, I'll let you know if I find one.

Attached Files:

3. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Same is happening to me. This seems like an extremely critical bug. I've tried damping, stretching and bending stiffness, surface penetration options, constraints, solver frequency, friction, everything. I even played around with the external accel a bit but it did nothing to help.

The cloth gravity appears to be no longer in the downward world direction. That's my best explanation for it, but I also got some inflation when my cloth had thickness and I'm not sure if that's related.

This is the second time I can think of where cloth has been just completely broken from a major update :( back in Unity 5 there was a bug that consistently caused Unity to crash while using cloths which didn't get patched for months. Anyways, I realize it's hard to code for because it's likely tied in closely to everything, so let's just try to get a dev to figure out the issue. I really need it fixed within the next few weeks as it makes up such a huge part of my character and don't want to be tweaking last minute. I even tested it with other objects to make sure it's not my mesh and sure enough the cloth goes flying sideways.

I'm going to submit a bug report and see what the Unity team can do. Reproducing it is extremely simple: if you place a plane down and add a cloth with the default settings, it won't fall in playmode. It'll just fly off to the side. If you constrain the top vertices to be distance: 0, then you'll get the bottom part floating as if it had no gravity, as seen in the screenshot.

EDIT: Looks like there's already an issue tracker submission for this. It says there's a fix in review so maybe we'll get an update soon. Go vote on it if you can so they'll put it on priority.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:23 AM